Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
IA-Outdoors

3320BH and 2014 Silverado 1500?

I've done a lot of reading on this and I know I'm on the heavy end of what my pick-up can handle but I have to ask anyway. I've got a 2014 Silverado 1500 with the following:
- 5.3L, V8, 3.43
- GVWR on pickup: 7200 lbs
- GCWR on pickup: 15,000 lbs
- Max Tongue Weight Rating: 1200 lbs
- RGAWR: 3950 lbs
- Gross weight of pickup: 5,292

We're looking at a 2015 3320BH. We started smaller but we are a family of 5 so this model really interested us because of the lighter weight (relatively speaking) and we plan on staying primarily in Iowa...flat with just a few hills in NE Iowa.

The numbers for it are:
- GVW (dry weight): 6615 lbs
- Tongue weight: 615 lbs
- Length 36' (33' plus 3' for tongue)

It appears this pickup is capable of towing it fine with the right hitch (weight distributing, the one without the chains). I think I'm more concerned about the length being 36' and my wheelbase of 153".

I know it's not a perfect match I'd like your thoughts.
IA-Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

We hear this all the time. The tongue listed is for an empty trailer with no battery and no propane. Add in the weight of 5 passengers, some gear and the weight of the hitch and you are not on the heavy end .... you are well over it. Check your figures again and as hard as it is try to think safety and not ... Wow, I really like that trailer .... Look for something smaller or lighter. Good luck with your decision and travel safely. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
IA-Outdoors

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the response. If the weight goes up to the ~820lb range it still looks like it is in the right limit. Am I missing something in my math? I'm definitely concerned about safety...just checking my numbers here so seeing how you guys are figuring the math would help.

Thanks in advance.

--Tony
Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Outdoors View Post
I've done a lot of reading on this and I know I'm on the heavy end of what my pick-up can handle but I have to ask anyway.

I know it's not a perfect match I'd like your thoughts.
I have to agree with hankpage and suggest that you have Plan B in place. You are right - "not a perfect match". My thoughts are that it isn't a good match.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
IA-Outdoors

I guess, to be more specific, what numbers are you running to tell if I'm exceeding your comfort limit. If I knew how you guys were figuring this stuff out then I can run the same numbers arrive at similar conclusions for this or other trailers should we choose to downsize. I'm not trying to convince myself that it will work but I have to figure out how to calculate this stuff on my own. Thanks for being patient with a newbie...
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Hi Hank,

Thanks for the response. If the weight goes up to the ~820lb ranch it still looks like it is in the right limit. Am I missing something in my math? I'm definitely concerned about safety...just checking my numbers here so seeing how you guys are figuring the math would help.

Thanks in advance.

--Tony
Just for the heck of it. Throw the hitch in the back of the truck, fill up with fuel, take the whole family along with anything else you may carry on an outing. (tools, kids games, car seats, etc.) Promise the kids ice cream but first take them to a public scale. This will show you how much is left for the tongue weight of that trailer figuring 10-15% of the gross weight of the trailer. On second thought ... promise the kids low fat frozen yogurt to possibly keep the weight down. You may slip in just under but leaving little safety margin on tires and RAWR.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
IA-Outdoors

Let's work this from a different angle. How would you calculate the optimum trailer for this pickup? I need a way to figure a safe range for hitch weight and trailer weight.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
IA-Outdoors

Ok, I found this calculator so tell me if these numbers look reasonable:

http://goo.gl/YgFrQs

That seems to bake in plenty of room for safety at both the hitch and max. trailer weight. Are those better numbers to trust?

--Tony
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

If you are considering a "different angle" aka a different trailer, at some point (sooner than later) you will need to hit a scale. As Hank suggested above, load up your truck with everything you would usually take camping - firewood, etc., and get it weighed. If we know those real world numbers then it will give us a basis for proceeding to the next step.

I don't see much sense in doing the theoretical stuff first, going out and buying a TT and then weighing it afterwards. The numbers for the TT that you are using now or might use in the future to figure out optimum TT weights are not always accurate. TT sticker dry weights, for example, are those taken while at the assembly plant. They don't include full bottles of propane, batteries, or any other additional/optional items that the owner may have ordered.

If you have the time and a weigh scale is reasonably close, I'd still recommend that you go there at this stage of the process.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, I found this calculator so tell me if these numbers look reasonable:

http://goo.gl/YgFrQs

That seems to bake in plenty of room for safety at both the hitch and max. trailer weight. Are those better numbers to trust?

--Tony
You can use this calculator but remember that the Actual Weight that is asked for in the calculations is the measured weight - not estimates or guesstimates. The calculator is quite clear in specifying that this information is to be measured. So if you have entered "estimated" weight instead of actual or measured weight in some or all of your calculations, then those numbers are, at best, a general guide and not real world numbers.
It's not that I wouldn't trust them - they just wouldn't be accurate - unless you have weighed your tow vehicle.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
jsmith948

Agree with Hankpage & Festus2: Allow me to add that a safe way to figure the weights on any tt you are considering is to figure your weights based on the tt GROSS weight (dry wt + cargo carrying capacity). You still need to scale.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
therink

You came to the right place for answers. The gvwr of that trailer is 8000 lb. That is about what the trailer will weigh including 1400 lbs cargo (propane, battery, options, and anything else that you load into it). Trust me it adds up fast with a family of 5. My fifth wheel loaded for camping weighs 1800 lbs (scaled) more than the factory weight.
With this said, the tongue weight (13%) will be around 1100 lbs. Throw everything in your truck including the family, dog, full fuel, hitch, bikes, firewood, tools, toys, etc and hit the scale. You will then know what a safe hitch weight will be. My guess is that you will want a trailer with a loaded hitch around 800. Another thing to consider is your trucks tires. They likely P rated which means they have soft side walls that are not good for towing heavy loads. Between that and the long trailer, you could experience sway issues. Your 3:42 axle will make your engine wish it had more.
I recommend a smaller trailer or at least 3/4 truck. I Only speak here from my own experience.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
IA-Outdoors

Ok, so I went ahead and weighed everything. The vehicle loaded down with my wife and I, kids, dog and whatever else we think we might take in the bed of the pickup ranges from 6087 lbs to 6187lbs. I updated the calculator with the heavier of the two numbers:

http://goo.gl/QL8IzR

So my new safe number is ~5400 for trailer and I'm assuming tongue weight-wise I don't need to worry since that number isn't limiting the decision at this point. That sound about right?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
f6bits

Out of curiosity, what's the Max Cargo Load sticker in the truck's driver door say?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
IA-Outdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the Max Cargo Load sticker in the truck's driver door say?
Hi Scott,

It says 1,568 lbs.

--Tony
Old 05-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
therink

I would say that is about right, you should be able to handle max loaded 7000 lb TT which would have about 900 lb tongue weight. I wouldn't go any heavier then that.
Length is also a factor to consider. Enjoy the pursuit and good luck.
Steve

Old 05-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
IA-Outdoors

Well I let you guys (and my wallet to a lesser extent) talk me out of the 3320BH and we are now looking closer at the 2920BH. That keeps us right around 7000lbs loaded down and no issue with the hitch weight.

Had to show my wife the 2920 and she said all the features she was looking most forward to in the 3320 are there and we still have a bit more room if our girls bring along a friend. I have some piece of mind knowing a) we'll get there safe and b) I won't tear up the transmission on my pickup and you are right, my tires were a factor too (p285's). I think this was a great trade off.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
therink

So glad you came here and asked, but sorry to kibosh your plans. You won't regret your choice. Enjoy.
Lots of great info on this forum. Make sure you read the PDI thread in the sticky section of the forum.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
IA-Outdoors

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "sticky section". I went to main "Towing" forum and didn't see anything on the front page that looked like a sticky thread nor anything with "PDI" when I searched.

Looking forward to learning more here after we complete the purchase. Already got a start on a checklist or two.

--Tony
Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #20
therink

It is in the sub forum call "Keystone Questions" first thread.
Steve

Tags
1500, 3320bh, silverado