Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Sandy Swede

Newbie rig - comments/advice?

Hello all,

I would be interested in hearing your comments/advice concerning our new TV and TT rig.

TV: 2006 Chev Express 3500 conversion van 6.0L 4 sp 3.73 rear. 9,600 GVWR. 6,500 dry weight fully fueled, no gear or passengers. 14,000 GCWR. Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. Recently added Derale trans pan cooler (+ 4 qts) and temp gauge. Tow Pakage. New Primus II brake controller.
TT: 2013 Keystone Premier Bullet 30REPR. 6,450 dry weight. I would never approach the GVWR of the trailer because of the TV GCWR limiting me to 14,000 lbs (already at 13,000 lbs without passengers or cargo).

My major concern is mountain driving. Our 'maiden voyage' on the flatland was smooth sailing, even with moderate (15 - 20mph) winds. Let's say I top the crest of a 6 - 7% grade in 2nd at 25 - 30 mph. Do I stay in 2nd on the downgrade and brake sufficiently hard to keep the speed in that range (assuming I am not redlining)? I am aware that you do not want to be 'riding' the brakes. Yes, I will be installing a tachometer. Do you adjust the brake controller on downgrades to have the trailer brakes assume a larger percentage of the braking? Having never towed a trailer in the mountains, I find all of this confusing, not to mention the increase in pucker factor.

I would also be interested in your opinion as to my planned brake upgrade to slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads. The supplier I spoke with said ceramic pads allow to much heat build-up leading to the dreaded brake fade when towing in the mountains. Of course, I would have any upgrade installed by a competent mechanic.

I thank you for your time and consideration.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Sandy Swede

oops

Darn, I uploaded the large format photo instead of the 400x. Sorry to be a bandwidth hog.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
chartrand

Your towing capacity is 9600 lbs and the trailer is 6450 lbs, so and based on your number above I'd say you are OK, but you are at the far end of your TV's limits when you add in the weight of your vehicle, passengers and all your gear. The van has the V8 in it, I think your certainly going to notice the trailer behind you with your setup and even more so in the mountains and at the gas pump...<grin>...

But wow is that ever a nice trailer. Your going to enjoy that rig for years to come.

-Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
GaryWT

All looks good but it would be nice if you had a 6 speed transmission. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Bigg-limo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
All looks good but it would be nice if you had a 6 speed transmission. Good luck.
I aint seeing a difference in the 6 speed, lol. My wife has a 3/4T suburban with the 6 speed, and man,…that thing is always hunting for gears,…even on the freeways around town. I hate driving it because of that. I guess i'm just too used to driving diesel pickups all the time.
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

TV: 2006 Chev Express 3500 conversion van 6.0L 4 sp 3.73 rear. 9,600 GVWR. 6,500 dry weight fully fueled, no gear or passengers. 14,000 GCWR. Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. Recently added Derale trans pan cooler (+ 4 qts) and temp gauge. Tow Pakage. New Primus II brake controller.
TT: 2013 Keystone Premier Bullet 30REPR. 6,450 dry weight. I would never approach the GVWR of the trailer because of the TV GCWR limiting me to 14,000 lbs (already at 13,000 lbs without passengers or cargo).
Based on your GCWR of 14,000 you are only 1000 lbs under that before you add any gear, that is a concern. Your 6.0 will tow the weight without problem as you already know, but your tires, brakes, chassis, etc are not made to handle much more weight. Any brake upgrades you can make will help. Yes ceramic pads increase heat, they are designed for short quick stops and dust reduction.

You can downshift on down grades, but you need to watch the trans temp, that is also hard on the torque converter.

I used to pull a 9,000 lb 5er behind a 2500HD with the same motor/tranny set-up, it handled the down grades pretty well. I always have the trailer brakes set a little tighter than the TV, but you cannot ride them all the way down a long grade. A combination of brake, motor, and transmission doing the work and you should be ok.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Sandy Swede

Thanks

Thanks to all who chimed in. We will have another 'shake down' cruise this week in the Hershey PA area (Lake-in-Wood RV Resort). Still flatland, but a longer drive and stay.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

It does look great, my comments are go over a scale and really see what your weight is for the van, trailer and hitch wt.. See what your payload is for the van, that is what is it rated to carry. Check the tires listed max. wt. rating of the van and make sure they are over loaded on the rear axle. Not saying your over but, get the scale wt.s and than with check what the van is rated for in all areas, GVW, CGVW, payload.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote