Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #21
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a very good recent thread that might shed some light on tire selection while you're waiting for that "very interested tire dealer" to return your call.....

If you haven't read this thread, it might interest you as it has many of the same issues you're facing: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15834

Thanks. Yeah, I've been reading threads for days, and you can see the results above. Basically the comment that said, "do whatever you can live with" sealed it up for me after talking to the Discount Tire guy.

I've got history in their computer back to 2000 with my first Jeep, and have known the guy I talked to for quite some time, so I'm going to "take the calculated risk" of the F rated Carlisles.

But the threads really do show the conundrum the trailer manufacturers put us all in by just barely squeaking by on the tires and load ratings. Load range E tires look "fine" for this trailer if you know you're not above GVWR, it's not 105 degrees out, and the tires haven't been on for three seasons.

Since that's not very "real world", I'll give these F rated tires a shot and won't cry (ha!) too much if I have a problem. But if they tick me off, they're gone and I'll call Trailer Wheel and Tire and order the "ouch my wallet hurts" 17.5 wheels and Michelin German made tires and never look at an ST tire in the rear view mirror ever again.

And I suppose I must close with the oldest Internet meme out there...

"Your mileage may vary."
Old 03-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
denverpilot

I just realized I mixed threads a bit, but the full thought process of ditching the G614 idea for the Carlisles is also in my "door lock" thread. Heh.

(No, I haven't started on the Friday night beer yet!)
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #23
denverpilot

The Carlisle F load rated tires are on. No significant fitment problems even though they are slightly bigger than E. Trailer already felt more stable towing it. Also got all five balanced and high-pressure valve stems installed.

The folks who mounted all five shared that the steel spare wheel has a minor bend in it. I doubt this happened driving it 20 miles to have all the tires swapped. They noticed it while balancing. Since it's only been used for that one trip, yet another "not impressed" vote from me on Keystone quality... But since it's epidemic in the RV industry... Oh well.

We'll see how these tires hold up. Feel much better having those original tires off of there. Someone will enjoy them for a lighter trailer, I'm sure. They're headed for Craigslist.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #24
Javi

Just a note... In recent years anytime I've taken a steel wheel into a "tire house" for mounting and balancing it was "BENT"

I bought a brand new Dodge Ram diesel 3500 and took it directly to the tire shop from the dealer to have better rubber mounted....

yep... you guessed it...

Sir.... Your wheels are slightly bent and we think you need new wheels. I told the young fellow that I bent them on purpose because the truck rode to good... Truck had 26 miles on it..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #25
denverpilot

Interesting. Considering they don't stock trailer wheels and would have to special order, I didn't get the impression they were up selling. But then again... I didn't *watch* them balance it...