Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroljg View Post
I am in the process of researching whether I need a slider or not. And if I can get away without it what are my options.
I have (please don't crucify me) a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with airbags, and have the camper but no hitch yet. Camping World (where I purchased the rig) insists that I need the Pullrite 2700 ISR Superglide, however another place says that I do not need the slider and will put in a Curt hitch for much less.......
I do not mind spending the extra $$ if it is necessary, however do not want to get one just to support the profit margin at Camping World.

Will welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Carol
Is the bed on your Tundra a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 AM   #22
grampscamper

I went through the same process when we purchased our last truck and trailer. It seemed that 50% said I needed a slider, 50% said I didn't. I purchased a sliding hitch for our last truck & never used it in 3 years (6.75' box). We purchased a new 5th wheel & truck last year. I ordered the Ford with the 5th wheel prep package. I ordered the Reese/Ford non sliding hitch. The new truck has a 6.75' box. The fifth wheel has the recessed front cap. I'm sure I can jackknife the trailer to 90 degrees or more. I would agree with JRTJH. Much greater angle than I'm comfortable with.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #23
mguay

Since you have decided to NOT go with a slider...(good choice in my mind), My choice on the hitch is the B&W. I've had both and the Reese clunked so much I tossed it to the scrap pile.

As far as why someone would say Reese doesn't stand behind their product...I have the response. When I had mine, I called them numerous times about the clunk and got the responses, "That is normal", "There is nothing we can do about it", "It is designed to do that".

I will never spend another $0.01 with them!

Enjoy the new rig!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #24
caroljg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
I have a 2013 GMC with a 6.5 bed. My Cougar 5th wheel will turn 85deg without hitting using the standard Reese 16k. I do have the manual slide option, but have yet to use it. Having just completed a 2600 miles from MD to Key Largo and back. Stopping in truckstops, parking lots, shopping centers and attractions without any issue. I would get a slider just in case, not having something when you need it is the worst scenerio.I would imagine a Reese 12k with manual slider would be marginally more expensive then a fixed hitch.

What kind if 5th wheel do you have? That can help make a choice.
Thanks for your reply!
I have a 2014 Cougar 26sab......29.5 ft long......it has the 'patented cap', though cannot find any literature as to what that is and the advantages of having it. The Camping World that sold it to me say that I need the PULLRITE with auto/slider....which, installed would be $2100. Seems a bit steep to me, but as I said, I do not mind spending the money if, indeed, I need to.
caroljg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #25
caroljg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Is the bed on your Tundra a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed?
My truck bed is 6.5.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #26
caroljg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
I went through the same process when we purchased our last truck and trailer. It seemed that 50% said I needed a slider, 50% said I didn't. I purchased a sliding hitch for our last truck & never used it in 3 years (6.75' box). We purchased a new 5th wheel & truck last year. I ordered the Ford with the 5th wheel prep package. I ordered the Reese/Ford non sliding hitch. The new truck has a 6.75' box. The fifth wheel has the recessed front cap. I'm sure I can jackknife the trailer to 90 degrees or more. I would agree with JRTJH. Much greater angle than I'm comfortable with.
The Cougar 26 SAB, also has the recessed cap. The truck bed is 6.5ft.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #27
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!
I have a 2014 Cougar 26sab......29.5 ft long......it has the 'patented cap', though cannot find any literature as to what that is and the advantages of having it. The Camping World that sold it to me say that I need the PULLRITE with auto/slider....which, installed would be $2100. Seems a bit steep to me, but as I said, I do not mind spending the money if, indeed, I need to.
I think the majority of members, including myself, who have the short box and a non-sliding hitch would suggest that you "don't need to". The recessed, curved front/nose of almost all "modern"5th wheels (Keystone or not) allow you to make a much tighter turn than the older versions. You have much more maneuverability than previously and only in rare circumstances would you ever find the need for a sliding hitch. Our hitch is manually adjustable so if I ever found myself in one of those "rare circumstances, I can always make provisions for that by moving the hitch back a few inches.

If, however, you are looking for that extra peace of mind and comfort, then a sliding hitch may be the solution for you.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #28
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!
Hi..We also have a 2014 Cougar 26 SAB. We decided to be on the safe side and go with the 15K PullRite Glider. But ours installed was slightly less than $1600. The same place originally wanted to install a Husky non-slider for $1450 but we opted for the PullRite Glider instead for the piece of mind.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #29
Charli

We had a Cougar XLite 26SAB with a standard Pinbox and pulled it for 3 years with a 2008 Ram 2500, CTD, 6.5' box and a non-slider Reece Pro 15k hitch. When I purchased the 5er the dealer said I wouldn't need a slider and he was right. The sticker on the front cap says I can go to 88 degrees. Can't say I ever got close to that cause I didn't like the torque I was putting on the rig. At that angle you are almost pushing the unit sideways. That's a lot of stress on the components.
We have now switched TV and are in the process of changing 5ers, as per my sig. Ended up staying with a Reese hitch to fit the factory pucks in my F350. Are getting a 5th Airborne/ Sidewinder Pinbox which will reduce some of the chucking and smooth out the ride. I'm sure I didn't need to go with the Sidewinder but as many have said here its nice to have that margin for error. While there was an extra cost I was already spending a small fortune on this upgrade so the additional cost of the sidewinder was basically a rounding error.
Time will tell if I made the right decision but based on my research on this and other forums I should be ok.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote