Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
kadaashe

Tundra towing

Have a question on towing --have an 08 tundra with 4.7L motor--has tow package--GVWR is 6900 lbs--am about to buy a Laredo 240 MK--dry weight on trailer is stated at 5600lbs--should i have much trouble pulling this--salesman book says I can pull 8,400---a little confused--thanks for help
kadaashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
f6bits

What's the cargo carrying capacity say on your driver's door sticker? Is it a crew cab?

Other than that, it's probably going to be sluggish on the hills with a 4.7.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
numbnu7s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadaashe View Post
Have a question on towing --have an 08 tundra with 4.7L motor--has tow package--GVWR is 6900 lbs--am about to buy a Laredo 240 MK--dry weight on trailer is stated at 5600lbs--should i have much trouble pulling this--salesman book says I can pull 8,400---a little confused--thanks for help
First off, don't trust the salesman. They are motivated by, ahem, sales.

I have a 2012 Tundra 5.7 with capacity of 9,000 lbs and tow a TT that has a dry weight of 7,600 lbs. When I figured in hitch class, dry weight, load, tongue capacity and vehicle weight my limiting factor was the weight of the truck itself fully loaded with family, dogs and tongue weight. You'll need to run the numbers yourself and make the determination yourself. Plenty of online resources and ultimately it was searching this forum and finding similar setups that let me to the decision to go with the TT purchase.

As for my set up I'm okay with it. I can pull the trailer fine and have not encountered any issues. However, I am very near (if not slightly over) GVWR capacity. While I'm sure the manufacture put a safety factor in to the calculations I may look for another TV when this lease is up.

Ultimately, this may not help you but good luck in your search.
Me, DW, DD, DD, DS, 2 dogs
numbnu7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
buzzcop63

With my truck (Tundra 2012, TWD 4.6 with tow pkg, rating 8,200Lb) and trailer (Cougar 24RKSWE max weight 7,200) I checked with both Toyota and Curtis Trailer (dealer) on how well the truck would tow my trailer. I also had the recommendation of family members who had been using the Tundra for the last two or three years towing similar weight loads (6,000 - 6,500Lb). Wife and I have been very happy with the truck in our day-to-day use as well as in towing. It accelerates up hills with the trailer and is very stable on the highway, even when large tractor-trailers are going by. If you look at the specifications on these trucks you can see they are quite formidable for a so-called 1/2 ton.
buzzcop63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
chris199

The limit will be payload. When you add the tongue weight (from the scale...not the brochure), you will see where you stand. I had a 4.6L and a 5.7L dbl cab with std bed and tow pkg. If you take the loaded wgt of the trailer * 12% to 15%.....there is no way you can have a driver, passenger, kids, bikes, full tank of gas and tow the max tow weight of the truck.

If your loaded trailer comes in at 7,000 lbs (using round numbers for example)...12% on the tongue is 840 lbs. Then add the weight of a tank of gas, driver, passenger(s), and stuff. Compare that to the max payload on the inside driver door sticker and see where you stand.

One other item I learned from this forum.....if you are towing close to maximums say out east...flat with some modest mountains you may be OK but the Tundra may struggle at significant altitudes out west.

I towed a 2012 Cougar 29REV and it towed fine under normal conditions. Acted a little squirrely when I would hit some bumps on just one side of the rig...say a sewer grate that dips down. Sometimes it felt like it drifted when driving on the highway. Found a great deal and upgraded the TV.

Used and still using a Hensley hitch for weight distrib and sway control. Works as advertised!

All the best!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote