Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
alexsbuddy

Tow Electrical Problem

I just converted the trailer tow electrical hookup from a 6-pin plug to a 7-pin plug. The black wire was not used in the 6-pin plug and had been shortened and taped off. I lengthened it when installing the 7-pin plug as it is used to charge the battery. Now I am getting a blinking S.H. reading on my Primus IQ brake controller, I do not hear the electric brakes working on the trailer, and the turn signals on the trailer either are not responding or it is so weak that I cannot tell if they are working. I am confident that the 7-pin plug has been wired correctly. I have a 2001 Sprinter 274RLS and I just bought it. Any thoughts?
alexsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
KenBob

If you are SURE that the 7 way on the TV is wired correctly. (Triple check)

Here is a way to test the wiring in the trailer from the 7 way. Make sure you have a fully charged and correctly installed/connected battery in the RV.

There is a link in the video to learn how to test the TV 7 way connector.

I would suspect a brake wiring problem on the RV. 12+ years old. Would be a good idea to check the wiring to the brake system and check/adjust bearings and brakes. Good luck!
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
alexsbuddy

Thanks, KenBob. The youtube video was extremely helpful and I found a few others that were also helpful. As soon as is stops raining this morning, I am going to begin at the trailer plug...I suspect that I have a poor connection on the spliced battery wire and a poor A-frame ground. When I tested the "battery to nuetral" pins on the plug using a test light last night (which I learned how to do from the video), I did not get a connection. I guess that it is a good place to start. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
alexsbuddy

No Right or Left Signals or Reverse Light

After rewiring the 7-pin connector, redoing the A-frame ground, and double checking all of the connections in the small junction box under the front of the travel trailer, I now have a good circuit on the power pin, electric brake pin, and running lights pin. However, the left and right turn signals still and reverse lights do not function when I bridge the pins (power to turn signal pin using a test wire with 15amp inline fuse) nor does a test circuit light come on when I test with circuit tester. I have a 2001 Sprinter 274RLS. Are there fuses somewhere that could be blown or should I be looking for some other problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
alexsbuddy

Fixed!

Well, I finally figured out the turn signal issue....the problem was one bulb with poor connectivity and slightly tarnished bulb sockets. Cleaned the sockets, cleaned up the good bulb (just to be sure), and replaced the bad bulb. Everything works now! I was able to figure this out when I remembered that, like most vehicle signal lights, one bad bulb can prevent both signals from working. I then bench tested each bulb and found the bad one.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
alexsbuddy

One more thing.

By the way, the bad bulb looked perfectly good and had no visual reason for not working. Always a good idea to bench test when in doubt.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
KenBob

Good to hear you had success! Glad it was relatively simple fix.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote