Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
halfprice

Boliy Gen Questions

Hi guys. I need some opinions on the Boliys.

The DW and I just bought our 5th, we pick it up next week, and we need a gen. The Boliy's price, half of a Honda, is very tempting. I haven't read any negitives and hoped to get some honest feedback here.

I did a search on the site and see many members have them, but their posts were a little old.

Do you still like them?????

Thanks Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
jje1960

Boliy

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Hi guys. I need some opinions on the Boliys.

The DW and I just bought our 5th, we pick it up next week, and we need a gen. The Boliy's price, half of a Honda, is very tempting. I haven't read any negitives and hoped to get some honest feedback here.

I did a search on the site and see many members have them, but their posts were a little old.

Do you still like them?????

Thanks Jerry
I am a Boliy owner. We have the electric start model, very satisfied. We did have an issue with ours, however warranty covered fixing unit last year. They replaced the battery under warranty. Also, I had purchased an enclosure (very nice) however did not realize that I was restricting the hot air exhaust by not opening all the panels. Now (after replacing the inverter module) the unit is back to working great. Don't restrict the intake or air exhaust, that's critical. Other than that, this unit is pretty amazing, for 74Ibs, it put's out more clean and quiet power than anything I've ever seen. It starts our 15k aircon (I added a supco capacitor last year) with or without a capacitor and really sips fuel running on auto idle mode. It does not start the aircon from idle, however everything else (microwave, coffee maker) we have thrown at it from idle. The fuel consumption is amazingly conservative, it's got a 1.9gal tank, lasts a very long time without aircon, I know I've let the thing run over 14hrs a few times. Ours stays in the back of our TV with a cord that plugs into the unit, we went to Myrtle Beach last year and had the aircon going in the unit (what I don't do for that cat) while driving. Since changing the oil for the last time in October, I've started it a couple of times in the gargage, no problem at all, battery has stayed topped up for the last two months sitting on a shelf in the unit. Starting has been easy, I run the fuel out of the bowl by closing the shutoff when stopping. When starting, just turn on the fuel, turn the unit over with the choke on, then flip the ignition, starts every time without problem. It's quiet, great on fuel, easy to start, light, runs the 15k aircon and cost effective. End of story is I'm super happy with the unit. One pic attached shows the enclosure with the left panel closed.... big no no, in the spring it was fine, but mid summer the heat could not dissipate. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1226.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	840  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
jje1960

Other pic

Back pick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1234sm.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	841  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
halfprice

THanks for the feedback. I saw many of your posts in my search. I wont be needed it for a month or so, so I do a little more research, but it looks like my top choice.

My biggest concern is repair work but I know there is a repair place in San Diego. 1 1/2 drive to drop off if I ever need work, but its a nice drive and the DW and I never mind going there for some of their good food.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Bolly genset

We will be heading to Alaska this coming summer and I am looking to buy a genset for the trip. Although I probably won't use the AC too much on that trip I am looking ahead to more Southerly trips in the future.

Bolly appears to be capable of running a 15kBTU unit w/o any problems and the price is right.

Problem: most of the dealers listed at the Bolly site seem to be concentrated in the Midwest. I live in VA but would probably want to pickup on the West coast or in TX (5er presently stored in San Antonio) Anybody know of dealers thereabouts?

I hope that this thread attracts Bolly owners with details about reliability, service and parts availability, etc.

Thanks, and wishes for a good new year.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
jje1960

Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
We will be heading to Alaska this coming summer and I am looking to buy a genset for the trip. Although I probably won't use the AC too much on that trip I am looking ahead to more Southerly trips in the future.

Bolly appears to be capable of running a 15kBTU unit w/o any problems and the price is right.

Problem: most of the dealers listed at the Bolly site seem to be concentrated in the Midwest. I live in VA but would probably want to pickup on the West coast or in TX (5er presently stored in San Antonio) Anybody know of dealers thereabouts?

I hope that this thread attracts Bolly owners with details about reliability, service and parts availability, etc.

Thanks, and wishes for a good new year.

John
I'm just across the border here in the WV panhandle John. When I needed the warranty service and parts, everything was done online and phone, then the business that takes care of the Boliy warranty mailed the parts to me. There was the option to send the unit to them for repair, however I was able to do the repair work myself. I'll see if I can remember where the warranty holder was in the States, seem to remember Mn. If I also remember correctly, I purchased via online with bottomlinetrading.com
Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
halfprice

John Bottomline was the cheapest I found on the internet and it has free shipping.

http://www.bottomlinetrading.com/BOL...Fc165QodD2njDw

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
jeff-14

I have had our electric start Boliy for a year now. No problems and it has worked great for us. I was at a race and had several people come up to me and ask what kind of generator I had. They were impressed on how quite it was. It runs our 10k ac with no problem, you just have to watch which things you have on when running the ac. We got ours from Bottomlinetrading.com, I had many questions for them and just give them a call, they are very willing to help you out. They start every unit and make sure everything is working before they ship it to you. Shipping if free.
jeff-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
I am a Boliy owner. We have the electric start model, very satisfied. We did have an issue with ours, however warranty covered fixing unit last year. They replaced the battery under warranty. Also, I had purchased an enclosure (very nice) however did not realize that I was restricting the hot air exhaust by not opening all the panels. Now (after replacing the inverter module) the unit is back to working great. Don't restrict the intake or air exhaust, that's critical. Other than that, this unit is pretty amazing, for 74Ibs, it put's out more clean and quiet power than anything I've ever seen. It starts our 15k aircon (I added a supco capacitor last year) with or without a capacitor and really sips fuel running on auto idle mode. It does not start the aircon from idle, however everything else (microwave, coffee maker) we have thrown at it from idle. The fuel consumption is amazingly conservative, it's got a 1.9gal tank, lasts a very long time without aircon, I know I've let the thing run over 14hrs a few times. Ours stays in the back of our TV with a cord that plugs into the unit, we went to Myrtle Beach last year and had the aircon going in the unit (what I don't do for that cat) while driving. Since changing the oil for the last time in October, I've started it a couple of times in the gargage, no problem at all, battery has stayed topped up for the last two months sitting on a shelf in the unit. Starting has been easy, I run the fuel out of the bowl by closing the shutoff when stopping. When starting, just turn on the fuel, turn the unit over with the choke on, then flip the ignition, starts every time without problem. It's quiet, great on fuel, easy to start, light, runs the 15k aircon and cost effective. End of story is I'm super happy with the unit. One pic attached shows the enclosure with the left panel closed.... big no no, in the spring it was fine, but mid summer the heat could not dissipate. Hope this helps.
Well I bought the Boliy and it should get here in a week or so. Its being shipped from San Diego so it might get here sooner.

jje1960,
How do you run the cord to the front. I would like to do this also. My two black Labs would love a little air while driving to the camp grounds. The DW wants them in the back seat of my brand new truck. I'm not to crazy about that.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
jje1960

Cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Well I bought the Boliy and it should get here in a week or so. Its being shipped from San Diego so it might get here sooner.

jje1960,
How do you run the cord to the front. I would like to do this also. My two black Labs would love a little air while driving to the camp grounds. The DW wants them in the back seat of my brand new truck. I'm not to crazy about that.

Jerry
Explained how we ran the cord in PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Explained how we ran the cord in PM.
Thanks I got it. I already crawled under the 5th and found the route I'm going to use for the cord.

I might wire it directly to the 5th instead of using adapters. I need to make some phone calls first to make sure there is no problems doing this.

Thanks again.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Rodney

Boiliy

I bought there 3600 model non electric start. Wife could hardly get it started run the 15000 btu ac no problem. At about 9 hours run time I shut it off and the next day no start. I warrantied it with a 6500 watt honda with remote start use it for camping and power outages at the house.
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
andyrad

So I had the same problem with the Boliy. It ran for an hour or so then it shut off and I could not for the life of me get it started again. I called the company I bought it from and they said to add some oil because it will use some oil when new and the low oil shutoff will kick in. I added oil but still no start. It was low though. So I called the distributor on his cell on a long weekend, he answered!! Now thats service. He said to check the spark and I had no spark. These things dont just die so he thought my low oil float may be stuck. I was instructed to unplug the low oil signal and she fired right up. I plugged it back in an hour or two later and it was fine so either the low oil float was stuck or it wont start if the oil level is too high as well. I did add a little extra just for good measure. Great generator but there are a few things to watch out for like this that you'll need an internet connection or phone service to figure out. I had neither and was dry camping on our first day out, not happy, but got cell coverage down the valley.
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
halfprice

I've only had to use mine a couple times. Maybe 7 days of dry camping. It worked great and always started. I usually go to hook up campgrounds and got the Boliy for the few times I dry camp. So far very happy.

Can you tell me more about the low oil float. Where is it and how did you disconnect it?

This soulds like something I would like to know just in case I have a problem.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
bigcitypopo

I love mine! I cable mine under my trailer at night. Between my axels. It takes a houdini and a hefty pneumatic bold cutter to get it out if you want it that bad while I sleep...even then you might meet Remington....

I remote start it during bad weather no prob... Great unit! Starts first pull, first turn key, first press of remote. Well worth the $
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

bigcitypopo,

If you're actually operating your generator while it is under your RV, you are taking a serious risk of introducing carbon monoxide into your RV. The effects of CO are cumulative, meaning it builds up in the human body and a little bit at a time adds up to a potential for a big problem over the weekend. I'd urge you to move your generator away from the RV when in use, better safe than sorry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Good advice. If I recall correctly, weren't there some deaths - within the last couple of years - from carbon monoxide of some folks who were in an RV while at a car race? I think that generators were the culprit - either theirs or a camping neighbor.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
bigcitypopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
bigcitypopo,

If you're actually operating your generator while it is under your RV, you are taking a serious risk of introducing carbon monoxide into your RV. The effects of CO are cumulative, meaning it builds up in the human body and a little bit at a time adds up to a potential for a big problem over the weekend. I'd urge you to move your generator away from the RV when in use, better safe than sorry.
I have the exhaust vented.. Via a hose. I'm well prepared. Thanks. I should have mentioned that... It's only gets run there during inclement weather. I'm actually fab'ing a genny box for the bumper. I'll be posting pics. The frame is being built now.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
bigcitypopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Good advice. If I recall correctly, weren't there some deaths - within the last couple of years - from carbon monoxide of some folks who were in an RV while at a car race? I think that generators were the culprit - either theirs or a camping neighbor.
Ya, when you go to NASCAR races and such and have a coach mounted genny, you have to have a gen-turi type device and or a 50 + foot cord to your rig. They put the generators in a pile and fan the exhaust suing one of those huge shop fans.