Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
cabinfever

Opening windows to help with sway?

Found this on another website, anyone ever tried or heard this before...........
learned this tip from friends who not only camped, but owned a campground. It works wonderfully! When traveling with a travel trailer, always crack open a front window on the left side of the camper, and a right window on the back side of the camper. This allows air to flow through easily and prevents the camper from whipping back and forth as you pass large trucks by. Your trip will be SO much smoother! It works on the same principle as does cracking windows when a tornado or hurricane is coming through - preventing so much pressure inside.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I never really had much problem with trucks swaying the trailer as they pass. When I towed with a 1/2 ton I had a 16 and than 19 ft trailers both with WD hitchs and sway bars. I get a push as they pass, same with the current set up. I do not really think opening the windows would help but, if thoose have done so and it worked, good. I do know that the trailer would get alot of dust etc. in it. I will leave windows and vents closed when towing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Well... Since cracking your windows during a tornado is a myth, I suspect this is too... Just sayin'
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Well... Since cracking your windows during a tornado is a myth, I suspect this is too... Just sayin'
Time to get Jamie and Adam to do a complete Mythbusters segment on Trailer Towing!
I am sure they could answer some questions;

1. Is a 5er better with air flow tailgate or standard Tailgate.
2. TT sway less with windows open, or closed.

add your great debates.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
alien_scones

Not sure you would want to introduce more road grime and dust into your camper with the side windows open.

If your window is a emergency pop out window, I wouldn't trust the slider bar to stay in place.

If your window is a tilt-out - I can see it inherit some unintentional aerodynamics and pop out of place.

My suspicion is this rumour was started by a rv window manufacturer trying to drum up new business.

I've been instructed by the rv dealer - always - always keep windows closed while towing. I didn't ask why - sorry.

The dealer did sell me two Max Air covers - for the rooftop vents - and encouraged me to keep the roof vents open while towing - using the Max Air covers of course.

ymmv
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Opening roof vents on today's RV's while towing with today's tow vehicles is "fairly clean" however, towing with a naturally aspirated diesel "of yesteryear" will cause the DW some significant grief if you try to tow with the roof vents open. You will create a vacuum inside the RV and if you're unfortunate enough to be towing at elevation, the black smoke created by the diesel will be drawn into the RV, coating everything inside with a "greasy, black film" that smells remarkably like diesel exhaust.

Don't ask me how I know this, but one trip through New Mexico with our 93 F250 was enough to motivate me to order a new truck with a turbo...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
chuck&gail

We had a hybrid before. If we towed with a window or covered roof vent open in the rain all sorts of water got sucked in. Haven't done it since even in the sun. If water got sucked in, so will dirt.

Get an Equalizer hitch or Reese Dual Cam and forget about sway.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
LittleJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Time to get Jamie and Adam to do a complete Mythbusters segment on Trailer Towing!
I am sure they could answer some questions;

1. Is a 5er better with air flow tailgate or standard Tailgate.
2. TT sway less with windows open, or closed.

add your great debates.
3. Do dually fenders help or hinder airflow around front of 5th wheel as compared to SRW.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote