Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
ezrider

Satellite setup in 2011 Cougar 31SQB (or similar)

I'm looking at hooking up a receiver or two in our 2011 Cougar 31SQB and am trying to get an understanding of the coax wiring. Back in the bunkroom where TV#2 is, there is a double coax plate on the wall that has a small coax cable attaching the two ports. I figure there must be a practical purpose for this otherwise there is no reason for the plate. Has anyone figured out the purpose of this?

Also, has anyone got any tips for removing or accessing the Rockford Fosgate system in order to hook up a receiver and utilize the trailer's sound system instead of the TV?

Thanks
ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Roller4Tan

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...&pictureid=772
This is my rendition of my DirecTV setup. It works for SWM HD dish with a receiver in the bedroom and receiver in the living room area. The splitters must be for a satelite frequency. The hard part is figuring which coax is which. It works for me. I can still use CG cable or antenna by reconnecting the jumper.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...&pictureid=772
This is my rendition of my DirecTV setup. It works for SWM HD dish with a receiver in the bedroom and receiver in the living room area. The splitters must be for a satelite frequency. The hard part is figuring which coax is which. It works for me. I can still use CG cable or antenna by reconnecting the jumper.
Roller4Tan, I tried this set-up using a regular splitter and had a problem with the bedroom TV. It seemed that I could watch some stations independently on each TV but sometimes we had to watch the same station on both TV's or it didn't work. Two different Direct TV people told me that I couldn't use a splitter even if it's a Direct TV splitter. They suggested I run a separate cable to the the bedroom TV so I did that and it works great.

My question is, if I did use a Direct TV splitter would the diagram above work like it should and what kind of splitter? There are different types of Direct TV splitters.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Roller4Tan

Splitter has to be high gigahertz for the signals to pass through, up to 2.4 gigahertz. Radio Shack has them. My setup works for SWM dish , 2 receivers on one incoming cable, using the port outside. Hook your dish power to the plate where the jumper is. make sure it's the port going to the outside. That will feed the living room port. The other connection on the power supply goes to the bedroom tv. In order for it to work on regular antenna or cable, just replace the jumper. I added another splitter for the living room tv so that if I did use regular antenna or CG cable, I would'nt have to switch the wiring on that tv.
Also the stock wiring has to be changed at the amp and jumper plate to match the diagram.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote