Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
bobbychuck

Question Fan Wiring

I have a 2010 Cougar 318SAB that I would like to add an exhaust fan to, probably a Fan-tastic w/remote so all that is required is a fused circuit.

My question is how difficult is running power from the power center up to the center roof vents? On my Lance truck camper, I could get very detailed tech support by serial number for wiring/mechanical issues, as they were very concerned about interference with existing systems. On the Keystone products, that support is apparently unavailable. Are there easy openings in the roof joists, or just small holes for existing wiring? What kind of other issues might I run into?

Thanks,
BC
2010 Cougar 318 SAB
2008 Chev 2500 Duramax/Allison
bobbychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you remove your existing vent trim you will see (in most cases) that there is enough room between the ceiling and the roof for your arm to reach and feel around for wires. Some of the lighting circuits are switched so you don't want them. My Cougar had several heavy gauge wires that I tested and choose the 12v feed for the fridge. (Pulling fuses one at a time to determine) Tapped into the hot and ground, added an in line fuse to the hot and was done very quickly. Pull the trim and take a peek, you may get lucky also, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
bobbychuck

Smile

Thanks, will be taking a look-fell and see what shows up.
2010 Cougar 318 SAB
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Jim W

On my 2010 318SAB there were only the switched lights and the speaker wires in the overhead by the stove area and roof vent.
I choose to tap into the light power wire to the under cabinet light since this is not a wall switched light but switched at the light only. I removed the Lazy Suzan from the cabinet the DW wanted full shelf instead in this cabinet next to the stove and sink. I than drilled a small hole in this cabinet to run two wires from the light; tapping in ahead of the switch. I ran the wires on the inside of the front face and up to the ceiling drilled another small hole in the ceiling was able to reach these wires from the opening for the vent. I also used a wire channel to rout the wires in and fasten this to the inside of the cabinet to protect the wires.
Works great and we have not had any power issue with this set-up.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
bobbychuck

Thumbs up

I also only found the overhead light wires near the vent. I just followed your path from the under-counter light to the vent and it appears doable. Interesting how the cabinet bottoms are hollow spaces.

Was the Lazy Susan an option? I picked my 318 up used, and I don't think it ever had anything like that mounted in that space.

I currently have a roof vent cover on the existing vent, which limits the travel of the vent opening to about 30 degrees. I expect I will need to change this, anyone have a suggestion?
2010 Cougar 318 SAB
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychuck View Post
I also only found the overhead light wires near the vent. I just followed your path from the under-counter light to the vent and it appears doable. Interesting how the cabinet bottoms are hollow spaces.

Was the Lazy Susan an option? I picked my 318 up used, and I don't think it ever had anything like that mounted in that space.

I currently have a roof vent cover on the existing vent, which limits the travel of the vent opening to about 30 degrees. I expect I will need to change this, anyone have a suggestion?
The Lazy Susan was standard in my 5er when we bought the 5er new in Feb at an RV show.
I had to remove the vent cover and vent to install the fantastic fan to operate correctly. My fan has a rain sensor on it and will self close when the sensor is wet.
I read in this issue of Trailer Life (Dec.12) about the MaxxFan deluxe that works with a cover if you require one.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
twstdpear

On a related note, I have what the dealer affectionately referred to as a "fart fan" in the bathroom on my Cougar 28RBS. It's barely better than just the plain vent and is pretty noisy for how little air it moves.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading that to a MaxxFan Deluxe if I can use the same wiring. Has anyone done this? If so, is the wiring sufficiently sized to power the larger fan?

Upgrading this one seemed like the easier route assuming the wiring is up to the task and while not perfectly ideal, will meet my needs. I'd actually rather upgrade the vent closer to the front, but that almost certainly will require some additional wiring unless there's some loose wires sitting there for just this purpose, which seems unlikely at best.

Jeff
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

If you have any lights in the front area where you would rather place the fan, you can always tap into those wires which would be ok for your MaxxFan Deluxe. Replacing your smaller and inefficient bathroom fan with a MaxxFan seems like an expensive way to get rid of those unwanted odours but...... who knows, it could be a priority! The wires for the small bathroom fan should be sufficient for the MaxxFan - depending upon how many amps it draws. A lot of other members have tapped into existing lighting wires without any issues ---- I'm one of those.

Tags
fan, installation, wiring