Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
CarKath

Looks like I have some work to do in next day or so. I was reading over this thread, and BOOM, the lights go out. Ironic or what. Trailer end of 50amp cord has one prong that got warm. New end in the cards and a few other things like surge protector. I'll keep you all posted with my findings.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
Outbackmel

Open neutral

Thanks to everyone. As previously stated, I had an issue with the campground power box pedestal at the 50amp side and it was re-wired after the electrician found the problem. (a broken wire) I had another qualified RV Tech check my cables and he found nothing wrong with them. That's the first thing he inspected.

This has "sparked" excellent dialogue on items we all need to be constantly aware of. I spoke to a friend who had a surge in his MH and the campground told him to kiss off. He cooked a Micro and 2 TV's. His insurance paid for his after the deductible.

I am looking into a surge protector for the future.

Eagle View RV Resort, Ft. McDowell, Arizona stepped right up and took excellent care of us. I ordered the same micro and it will be here next week. I looked at others, however, we liked the one we had and have no particular need for one with a convection oven. The only thing we use in the RV kitchen is our mobile phones. Purpose: Make Reservations !!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
f6bits

The portable SurgeGuard is one of the first things I bought for my trailer. I think it was close to $250. The better approach is to get an inline system so it’s closer to your electrical box just in case the problem is with the power cord.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
Bob Landry

This is a good thread and makes a good argument for a couple of things. First, carry a spare shore power cord. They can go bad with constant plugging anf unplugging, especially if you are are not diligent about turning off the breaker at the pesestal when you do it. Wires can come loose at the connector and contacts arc and corrode, givingyou unreliable connections. This is not a big financial issue for the 30A guys compared to the 50 ampers, but you have to weigh that against the likelyhood of being without power(AND air conditioning) in July or August.

The second is the installation of an EMS like Progressive Industries that monitors and protects you against not only voltage spikes, but everything else that can happen to a shore power system. Again, cheap insurance compared to replacing everything in your trailer. And, I'm not talking about the Surge Guards that plug into the pedestals. Not only do they offer limited protection, they are subject to theft and for a little bit more $$$, you can have it all. Get a hard-wired unit. They are easy to install.
I went one step further. I installed mine using male/female interlocking plugs. They were $30 each at Home Depot, but in the event I think my EMS went south, I can remove it, reconnect the plugs, and I'm back on-line.
The other thing is to frequently check your cord and trailer inlet for discoloration caused by heat(caused by bad connections). The Camco cords are hard to check because they are black, but the yellow Marinco cords are easy to check. If you are set up with a detachable power cord be sure to check the inlet on the trailer. Replace anything that is discolored.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #25
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
Looks like I have some work to do in next day or so. I was reading over this thread, and BOOM, the lights go out. Ironic or what. Trailer end of 50amp cord has one prong that got warm. New end in the cards and a few other things like surge protector. I'll keep you all posted with my findings.
Carl - It may be that you have the same problem I had with the shore power cable, maybe? However, I would also encourage you to pull the storage basement wall behind the WaterWorks just to check on the Iota Transfer Switch. Do Not open the Transfer Switch, just look at the cables going in and out of it for damage/melt. (Well, if you are qualified and know what you are doing . . . you could open it. Disconnect all power!) If you contact Keystone, they will probably clear you to get the Iota replaced.

Bob Landry and Sdayman bring up a great point! And rather than having Keystone replace the Iota with the ESCO, I chose to get a TRC Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch. This is a hardwired device that is internal to the RV. And, not only will it protect from nasties from the shore power, but also from the generator! I realize from my shore power cable connector problem, I could have an open neutral, etc., within the connector . . . and all sorts of problems! It will be in the Mods section once installed.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
CarKath

Hi Ron

I don't have the transfer switch and not generator ready. So I am ok that way.

It is either something in shore power cord or it was power bump that knocked me out for a short time. Thankfully no damage.

It is odd if the cord is failing. I had it apart about a month ago inspecting. Trailer side as well I pulled out and inspected. I did this after reading your thread about this Ron.

I am not sure when I will get it fixed. Hopefully before major trouble. I am working my way home from the south now and just trying to stay warm now.

Thanks for the help

Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
LarryL

Hi Bob Landry I am going to install the EMS-HC 50C I will
be putting it in the cabinet between the chairs where power comes in.
I read a thread here where if you mount it on the floor it will make
noise do you have yours mounted on the floor and is there any noise?
Also I like the idea of the male/female interlocking plugs so thats
male/female on each side of the surge protector and did you need
more wire to do this looks like I have about 18in in my cabinet.
sure would like some pic if you have them.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryL View Post
Hi Bob Landry I am going to install the EMS-HC 50C I will
be putting it in the cabinet between the chairs where power comes in.
I read a thread here where if you mount it on the floor it will make
noise do you have yours mounted on the floor and is there any noise?
Also I like the idea of the male/female interlocking plugs so thats
male/female on each side of the surge protector and did you need
more wire to do this looks like I have about 18in in my cabinet.
sure would like some pic if you have them.
Larry, you shouldn't hear anything. I don't hear so much as a hum from mine. As far as extra wire, I would get a couple of feet or so, just so you have room to bend it and lay it without stressing the connections at the plug. Be sure it's #6 wire since it's 50A. Also, be prepared to shell out a few $$$. The plugs for mine were $30 each at Home Depot and they are 30A, 50A plugs are going to be considerably higher. I don't think it's really necessary to make it removable, but that's up to you and if you think the EMS may suffer a failure and need to be sent in for repairs. They are pretty reliable and unless I'm mistaken, it come with a remote that has a switch that will disable the EMS and give you a straight-thru. I just thought it was a good idea when I read about it and I like doing electrical projects.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
LarryL

Thanks Bob going over to home depot in a few to check the price
also will check the EMS if it has a remote then i won't get the plugs
thanks again