Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2016, 02:55 AM   #21
notanlines

The same brain surgeon/rocket scientist that put DEF in their diesel fuel spout in their Dodge will be the same individual who put DEF in their engine oil fill spout in their GMC. You simply can't fix stupid.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #22
vampress_me

We are back in the land of wifi. Just spent the last few days in the Big Horn Mtns dry camping. We haven't tried that before, but I think I like it! Our battery on the other hand didn't like it, so we are now thinking on how to add a second above it.

To answer the questions: They did not change out the fuel filters. The fuel we got didn't have water in it or other foreign stuff, it was just not a high enough cetane level for the truck. What I have now been told by a few different diesel mechanics out here, the diesel sold in MT, ID, WY, etc is not as regulated as diesel sold farther east. So, it does not necessarily have the higher cetane levels our trucks may be looking for, and may eventually lead to a "fuel knock" which is what we had happen, and the check engine light. So, since then, we have been adding cetane booster on ever fuel-up. And the truck has worked beautifully at 2000 foot elevation on up to 9600 feet and back down.

We absolutely LOVED Yellowstone, it's still as good as it used to be. Except the traffic....that was a nightmare! But, we finally made it around the north loop (have always done the southern loop by Old Faithful before) and went up the Lemar Valley a ways and did a little hiking. Saw the huge herds of bison in the Valley (at least 200), and the usual elk and bison in other areas of the park. The best was seeing 4 wolves one night. Never thought we would see them. But, am happy I saw them in the park and not out where we like to hunt elk in MT.

The last tank we had bought prior to the check engine light had been in Ennis, MT. It was definitely a busy gas station, so I don't blame them at all. I try to stay away from stations that don't look like they get much diesel business, just to try to get the "freshest" diesel we can.

I cannot say how much biodiesel was bought over the course of the trip. This truck was specifically bought because it can handle B20 where our old F-350 was only rated for up to B5. Last year MN changed the law so all diesel sold in the state has to be B20 in the summer months. This was starting to wreck havoc with my 2009 F350 and was going to get expensive, so traded it in on one that can handle the requirement.

Overall, I still think we have a great truck. Both hubby and I have said more than once that for our use, the 440hp this truck has is enough. It worked great coming up the west side of the Big Horns on 14, and the engine braking and exhaust brake are awesome coming down both the east side of Yellowstone into Cody and the east side of the Big Horns on 14 into Sheridan. Apparently, it just likes to keep me on my toes...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote