Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
dakota51

Emptying black tank at home.

Would there be anything wrong with emptying my black tank into a drain in my garage floor that is connected to the city sewer line. Do people do this?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota51 View Post
Would there be anything wrong with emptying my black tank into a drain in my garage floor that is connected to the city sewer line. Do people do this?
might get pretty messy and stinky while doing this unless you can pull the floor grate and get the hose somewhat sealed into the drain .... but if it DEFINITELY goes to city sewer and not storm drains, then should work ????

I dump into a cleanout I installed directly into my sewer line outside the house.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Most houses are built with two water disposal systems. One, the drains in the floor and the gutters are routed to the storm drain system. The other, the waste water from toilets and sink drains is routed to the waste water (sewer drain) system or the septic tank. These two are not connected in most city utilities systems and I haven't seen a septic system that connects to a garage floor drain.

Before you consider this, I'd check carefully to be sure that the garage floor drain is, in fact, connected to the sewer disposal system. If it's not, and if it's connected to the storm drainage system, or worse yet, routed outside the house via a 4" perforated drain line, that's designed to "perc the water into the ground", you could be in for some pretty stiff "legal maneuvering" to get out of the issues created.

Do a lot of checking and double-checking before you move forward with this plan. Besides, even if it is feasible, you're going to require some way to flush the waste far enough past the floor drain so it doesn't "linger" in the garage. And then there's the "hose drippings" that will be on the floor as you disconnect after use. What if you should happen to have a hose rupture? Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
dakota51

The drain cover is removable and my hose adapter fits into the opening. I have checked that it is connected to the sewer line by dumping a bucket of water down the garage floor drain and it runs into the clean out located in the back yard(the same place the water goes when I flush the toilet).
Thanks for the input.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
gkainz

another hint that a plumber friend of mine gave me on garage and/or basement drains ... they get used seldom enough that the water in the P-trap can evaporate and allow sewer smells back out. He recommended using a couple cups of vegetable oil down the drain to float on top the trap and keep the water from evaporating.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Jim & DJ

If your drain from the garage "has a p trap".
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote