Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
Mosnowman

Plexiglass For Cougar 327RES Screen Door?

I searched the forums and found an old thread about this topic but wanted to see if any of you guys have recently installed plexiglass or something similar in your screen door?

I have a 2014 Cougar 327RES in storage. If anyone knows the measurements to that screen door I would appreciate it.

I was thinking strong velcro would do the trick?

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Terry W.

Can't help with the size, but. I did the same type thing to both our previous TT and current 5er. Got plex at Lowes, took door off placed on plex outlined with sharpie, cut with saber saw. I attached it with mirror mounting clips and velcro. Works good let in natrual lite keeps ac/heat in.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
jje1960

Optix

We used OPTIX from Home Depot, it was not cheap though, 2X pieces purchased, if I remember right it was almost $100.00 You may need to custom notch for the plastic door handles. Also, the velcro holding method was a no go for us, it left a gap unless going all the way around with the strip. I ended up just pop riveting in place, worked well for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	optixdoor.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	4857  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
Can't help with the size, but. I did the same type thing to both our previous TT and current 5er. Got plex at Lowes, took door off placed on plex outlined with sharpie, cut with saber saw. I attached it with mirror mounting clips and velcro. Works good let in natrual lite keeps ac/heat in.

Same way I did mine! Randy

Randy Sent this!!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We installed Lexan (from Lowe's) in the screen door of our Springdale. When we traded for the Cougar, the first thing my DW wanted to be sure to keep was those two pieces. Unfortunately, the two doors are slightly different sizes, so I've got to start over.....

There is a "groove" in the aluminum extrusion on the outside of the door. I bought 1/8" Lexan which slips into that groove and by removing the two crossbar screws at the door handle opening adding washers to those and installing two similar screw/washers at the bottom, I was able to get the Lexan to stay in place without any adhesive, tape or Velcro. Much cleaner and a good seal.

I removed the door, traced the outline of the upper curve with a sharpie, used my band saw to cut the pieces. I measured about 1/4" bigger to fit the grooves.

It was a simple install, the biggest challenge was cutting the upper curves to make sure it fit the groove.

Good luck, it's definitely a great option to "open the RV" and still keep in heat or A/C.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
jje1960

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We installed Lexan (from Lowe's) in the screen door of our Springdale. When we traded for the Cougar, the first thing my DW wanted to be sure to keep was those two pieces. Unfortunately, the two doors are slightly different sizes, so I've got to start over.....

There is a "groove" in the aluminum extrusion on the outside of the door. I bought 1/8" Lexan which slips into that groove and by removing the two crossbar screws at the door handle opening adding washers to those and installing two similar screw/washers at the bottom, I was able to get the Lexan to stay in place without any adhesive, tape or Velcro. Much cleaner and a good seal.

I removed the door, traced the outline of the upper curve with a sharpie, used my band saw to cut the pieces. I measured about 1/4" bigger to fit the grooves.

It was a simple install, the biggest challenge was cutting the upper curves to make sure it fit the groove.

Good luck, it's definitely a great option to "open the RV" and still keep in heat or A/C.
Very nice. I don't believe I've seen it done this way before, great job.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
byrdr1

Measured this too.
I used Plex as it wasn't as high as the other listed here.
Bottom panel is 23&1/2" wide X 20" tall
Top is 23&1/2" wide X 28&1/2" tall with the curved top corners.
I cut mine with a skill knife and used a cup as a guide for the curved tops.
If I had my phone I would tapatalk a picture for you. might get that later today.
Hope this helps,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
mjeronimo

Screen door

My brother works at a plastics place, he got me acrylic I believe it's lighter I used stickey back Velcro all the way around, stays put only did the bottom. Didn't want Princess 8 pound dog tearing the screen. With Velcro I can remove it for more breeze if needed.
P.S. Buy the Velcro at fabric store half the price of Home Depot!
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
UsTwo

Same here.. did my HYTT and Coachman.. So of course did my Cougar..
On the Hybred, i used, velcro cut about 2 inches long, about 10 inches apart.. and in between i used this >http://www.walmart.com/ip/Md-Product...Strip/19866188.
Decided with our coachman to just velcro all the way around.. And with the Cougar we found industrial velcro dots. about 2 inches around cut in half
around 10 inches apart.. no need for weather strip... we love it

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote