Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2024, 09:06 AM   #1
Camping family

Water filter

I’m thinking of mounting my water filter inside the wet area of our camper. Don’t like it just hanging in there from the water inlet. Seems to add weight on the inlet that is not needed. Was thinking of mounting it to the side inside the wet area using pex or water lines connecting it to the water inlet.
Anyone done this and if so how does it work?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:48 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have not done that as the wet bay would get pretty congested. I've seen them with connecting hoses ran into the storage compartment, or one which I plan to do, is take the 2 stage filter bracket and mount it to the frame with a couple of screws. Had a neighbor in a park that had his set up that way, looked good and he loved it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #3
peanut

My set up is similar as that shown in the photo (taken from the web). On my fiver, the output hose from the canisters goes thru the floor access port in the wet bay and connects to the water inlet valve with a 90° pressure regulator.

The trailer's skirting, where I mounted my canister, is a bit flimsy, so I epoxied (and l through bolted with machine screws) a large piece of 1/4" starboard to the back side of it and attached the mount through everything with 1/4-20 machine screws, lock washers and nuts. It is a simple matter, when setting up, to grab it from the pass-thru and hang it up, ready to connect.

I like an external set up as opposed to something inside the camper. I have been at campgrounds with shared water spigots every so many sites. With my setup I can temp park near a spigot on the way in, connect a hose from the spigot to the filters, run the output hose to my water tank and fill up before I pull into my site. Couldn't do that with an onboard, somewhere in the trailer kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	46323  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:08 AM   #4
jxnbbl

You drive with that attached? The other interesting thing about this type of setup is that discussion on sanitizing the system. You can take out the filter cartridge pour in the bleach and just fill up.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:19 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
You drive with that attached? The other interesting thing about this type of setup is that discussion on sanitizing the system. You can take out the filter cartridge pour in the bleach and just fill up.
Most people who attach their filter canister this way use a "keyhole attachment" and just screw two "appropriately sized screws" (or use "keyhole lugs") into the molding that separates the FILON and the J-Wrap skirting. They simply "hang the canister bracket on the screws" when parked and "lift it off the screws to store" during towing.

Here's photos of one type "Keyhole attachment". They are available at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Geesatis-Acce...LSM_D_BwE&th=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KEYHOLE HANGER.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	46324  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:48 AM   #6
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most people who attach their filter canister this way use a "keyhole attachment" and just screw two "appropriately sized screws" (or use "keyhole lugs") into the molding that separates the FILON and the J-Wrap skirting. They simply "hang the canister bracket on the screws" when parked and "lift it off the screws to store" during towing.

That makes sense. I've never seen this until this post and thinking of getting rid of the 'inline' filter. I attach it at the water source and 8 out of 10 times that is so low to the ground I don't like the positioning. Off doing shopping.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:53 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Any comments/suggestions if I was to go in this option?

LINK
Old 03-04-2024, 09:25 AM   #8
peanut

Quote:
You drive with that attached?
Of course I don't drive with it attached.
From my post, "It is a simple matter, when setting up, to grab it from the pass-thru and hang it up, ready to connect." I thought, incorrectly I guess, that that made it clear that hanging it up was part of the setup process and that it didn't hang there all the time.

See the pic. The canister mount has keyhole slots for hanging. The only thing showing when it is not hanging there are two (2) stainless steel, pan head machine screws with a thin stop nut. The stop nut leaves about 3/16" of the screw exposed so the bracket can hang on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	beech lane.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	46325  

Old 03-04-2024, 09:33 AM   #9
peanut

Quote:
LINK
two comments.
seems needlessly expensive.
it has 1" inlet/outlet. most rv's and camps have 3/4" spigots so you may need adapters or additional hoses.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:49 AM   #10
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Of course I don't drive with it attached.
From my post, "It is a simple matter, when setting up, to grab it from the pass-thru and hang it up, ready to connect." I thought, incorrectly I guess, that that made it clear that hanging it up was part of the setup process and that it didn't hang there all the time.

See the pic. The canister mount has keyhole slots for hanging. The only thing showing when it is not hanging there are two (2) stainless steel, pan head machine screws with a thin stop nut. The stop nut leaves about 3/16" of the screw exposed so the bracket can hang on them.

Thanks I just can't make out the keyhole slots in the pic and made a bad assumption.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:16 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

LINK

Here's another option from Amazon that might work better;

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Ex...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:26 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

The one Danny listed is "half the price" and "already equipped to immediately use on an RV city water line with no further modification required"...

Seems like a "win/win" to me to save money and not spend time modifying a "house unit to make it an RV unit"....

And, when you do get/start using a canister filter on your RV water system, when it's not in use, you can't just "toss it into the passthrough for weeks on end. Doing so is an "excellent way to grow mold and risk making your family sick"....

Most "long term storage" for the canister filter units is to either remove the filters and install new ones on the next use (THIS GETS EXPENSIVE) or to "drain most of the water out of the assembly (just shake it until it stops dripping) then when you get home, put it in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer. When you get ready for your next trip, put it in the passthrough, it'll be thawed and ready for use (without the green stuff growing inside) by the time you get to the campground.....

During a trip, no need for any special preparation to prevent mold, just during extended storage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:58 PM   #13
jxnbbl

Thanks for the advise....Totally understand and agree/ordered and on the way by end of week.

Tags
water