Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Benefit of Rear Camera

We are having a new HC outfitted with what we think we need. What do folks think of having a camera at the rear of the trailer? Is it useful? Does it help backing into a situation? I've read lots of posts about how beneficial it is to use while driving or pulling back into your lane after passing...but I have that down I think. After many years of backing into "unknown" spots I've learned to use my mirrors, judgement and DW in the back with a cell. The camera seems like it might be beneficial but from the comments I've read on this forum and others it seems like it doesn't really work that way and the detail doesn't really help. Thoughts/comments on the usefulness of these would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen there are just single backup cameras and multiple; any benefit to either? Thanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When compared to the "rear camera" that's installed on a truck or car, the one on the back of a travel trailer won't be nearly as "defined" in the monitor and it won't have the "relative surroundings" that you "feel and experience" in something where the camera is 8-15' behind you. On a travel trailer, you've got the "blind side" that you never have on a car or truck, you've got the "rear end swing", the tracking swing and the 35-40' of "space" between the camera and the monitor. There's no "annoying beep" when you start getting close to an object behind you and there's no "depth of field" to judge how close you are to that "post you can clearly see". You'll know the post is there, and you can watch it get closer, but is it 1' or is it 5' or maybe 10' from the bumper ???

For me, the camera is worth the price, just to have a means to see directly behind me when towing. In the campground, when backing, not so much. I tend to trust my DW's judgement much more than my own, when watching a little monitor, an image from 40' away, and the bit of glare in the image. I regularly use the camera on the truck and DW's Edge and trust the image I see. On the trailer, not so much for backing, but priceless when towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks John. For clarification; it's useful for seeing directly behind you when towing? I know I always have a big blind spot back there but I've never really worried about it because I can't stop quicker than anyone else and don't move without a long period of turn signals. Is it to "know" vs "guess"? I watch shadows, move left to right to move the tail of the trailer while towing to see what is right behind me. Is the camera more beneficial? I think they will install the system for about 700 but wondering if it is sort of like the bed camera...never use it? Of course, I've said I never wanted a 5th wheel, washer/dryer, 1 ton truck, slide toppers or a backup camera.....I've been shown the light.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You have choices if it Furrion. . You can get the single camera that mounts to the back, or you can splurge and get the whole system that includes a larger monitor screen and cameras on the side marker lights. You can flip through the different views or set the screen to see all 3 views.

I have installed both, and if the rear housing is there it’s real simple. The side cameras simply replace the marker lights and then you just pair the cameras.

Is it worth it? It very well may be, I’m a cheapo on something’s, been backing fivers for a long time without cameras but as I grow older it might be nice not to have to get out and look.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
Tbos

I like my rear camera. It does help on the road.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Danny as I've stated in several posts lately I use mine for both. In my thinking, the more info the better and just as "looking at an object 40' away" in the mirror took some getting used to so does that image in a monitor. I don't have any "glare" in my image but My camera is a quality Sony unit and the monitor is 5", large enough and high enough resolution to see without issue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You have choices if it Furrion. . You can get the single camera that mounts to the back, or you can splurge and get the whole system that includes a larger monitor screen and cameras on the side marker lights. You can flip through the different views or set the screen to see all 3 views.

I have installed both, and if the rear housing is there it’s real simple. The side cameras simply replace the marker lights and then you just pair the cameras.

Is it worth it? It very well may be, I’m a cheapo on something’s, been backing fivers for a long time without cameras but as I grow older it might be nice not to have to get out and look.

Thanks Chuck. My concern is what you have mentioned. As I grow older I worry about my "right here, right now" attention span that used to seem like I could see 360 constantly. That may be diminishing and I'm sort of thinking it might be useful. I just really want the rear view for backing into areas but the watching approaching traffic from the rear might be beneficial although I've never needed it....I don't think?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks Chuck. My concern is what you have mentioned. As I grow older I worry about my "right here, right now" attention span that used to seem like I could see 360 constantly. That may be diminishing and I'm sort of thinking it might be useful. I just really want the rear view for backing into areas but the watching approaching traffic from the rear might be beneficial although I've never needed it....I don't think?
You might be a little disappointed in it for backing but I believe once you start using it to see what's behind you when driving you may start to wonder how you felt safe without it.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #9
Roscommon48

A camera when backing up may help a little but the best way is to have someone back there telling you what is going on.

If it is an option I'd say skip it.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:06 AM   #10
notanlines

We installed a Furrion on the Raptor years ago. I no sooner hit the interstate and the reception went to hell. Furrion sent a broadcast booster and, you guessed it, we hit the interstate and the reception went immediately to hell again. This was about seven years ago. One can only hope that the companies have made great strides in their broadcast abilities. I would like the camera to keep an eye on the little trailer with the bike on it, not at all for backing.
In their defense, I did get a refund with no trouble at all.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #11
Northofu1

I like my hard wired camera, mostly for what's behind me on the highway. It does help backing up, but, it takes time to get used to actual distance. Mine has the grid line option.
I opted for hardwired because wifi 2 yrs ago wasn't as good as it is now. Each 6 months to a year there are software updates and new versions. Each time getting a little better.
My truck is already wired for the cam so I will be removing it from the TT and installing on 5th.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 AM   #12
larry337

So speaking as a truck driver who pulls doubles and triples everyday I see little to no value in a rear camera. Personally I don't need help backing, and from what I'm reading it doesn't help anyway. I use my mirrors driving, and if a tailgater is so close to me that I can't see them in my mirror then what am I gonna do about it anyway? The only possible use I could see is if im pulling a narrow boat or golf cart trailer behind me that I can't see in my mirror. Even then all it can do is let me know it's still there I guess. A little peace of mind. I don't think I'd want the monitor cluttering up my dash either. I have a couple million miles "towing" and just don't see much benefit. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Maybe it's a case of I just don't know what I don't know.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

My system is an RVS wired camera system. There is NO interference, NO loss of signal, NO blackouts/blank screen. That said, the camera is invaluable for knowing what's behind the trailer. We do "triple tow" nearly all the time, with either the boat or the slingshot on a trailer behind the fifth wheel, the ONLY thing I can see in the truck side mirrors is an "occasional tire/fender" during turns. It's extremely comforting to know the cover is on the boat or the slingshot, that nothing is loose, that both tires are still "rolling not bouncing" as we tow. If you've ever triple towed, you know that there's no way to know if you have a "blowout on the fifth wheel" and it's even more difficult to "know what's happening" on a second trailer. So, a rear camera is a "must for me" when triple towing.

That doesn't even approach the subject of knowing what's behind me and beside me when changing lanes or passing a slower vehicle. When I pass someone, I "KNOW" that if I can see them in the rear camera view, they are BEHIND the trailer, there's no "watching the passenger side mirror and judging by shadows or flashing lights" whether I've got clearance to merge back into the right lane.

As for glare: The only glare I get is sun glare or at night, glare from street lights, security lights around the parking pad. That "bit of glare" is more than enough to "confuse my old eyes" so I prefer a spotter over "guessing there's nothing I don't see in the monitor" when backing my trailer.

My "one shot with a wireless system" was a dismal failure, I then bought the RVS wired system and have had no problems in 10 years of using the same camera/monitor/wiring. If it was up to me, I'd always opt for a WIRED camera system over a wireless system. After 10 years of using this one on 3 trucks and 2 trailers, for me, it just seems "reasonable that wired systems are more functional" That said, if I were buying a system, I'd want to get the "latest and greatest version" not the "easiest for the serviceman to install".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
larry337

I agree that's the only use I could see for one. But I don't know why they call it triple tow in the rv world. For me this is "triples". And we don't have cameras either. 2 trailers is doubles. Just saying. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_113309.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	25081

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I agree that's the only use I could see for one. But I don't know why they call it triple tow in the rv world. For me this is "triples". And we don't have cameras either. 2 trailers is doubles. Just saying. Attachment 25081
And you ain't backing that up either. Just saying.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #16
notanlines

Larry, it to differentiate between cowboy truckers and cowboy RV’ers. Wait a minute! Back up just a second....sorry, I had to say that.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #17
KSH

I got this one for my new 5th wheel, much cheaper than the furion.

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-mc...ra-system.html
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #18
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And you ain't backing that up either. Just saying.
I'm not sure what you're point is? I back up trailers everyday of my life without a camera. Both in hooking them together and in putting them to a dock. I was agreeing with the others who posted that a camera really doesn't help them back up. I also don't see a need for a rear camera while driving. The only possible benefit is what John posted about pulling a small trailer that can't be seen in your mirrors. Even then, whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen whether you're looking or not. But I agree the peace of mind is worth something. Perhaps you could catch a flapping boat cover before you totally lost it. IMHO I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to add an optional camera. But that's just me and I've been towing and backing trailers for decades. If it gives someone else peace of mind and it's worth it to them then whatever makes them safe on the road.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #19
LouieR

I use a furrion with the Mic on it,my wife can talk and tell me where to go and with the camera I can see where she is,I don't rely on the camera only.On the road I can use it if needed,don't normally need it. the wireless works great it came with a booster, two cell phones work good also for backing in if you don't have a mic in the camera.
LouieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:15 AM   #20
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieR View Post
I use a furrion with the Mic on it,my wife can talk and tell me where to go and with the camera I can see where she is,I don't rely on the camera only.On the road I can use it if needed,don't normally need it. the wireless works great it came with a booster, two cell phones work good also for backing in if you don't have a mic in the camera.
My wife doesn't need a mic or a camera to tell me where to go. Sorry back to ontrack discussions

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote