Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
majbill

Generator choices

New to RVs. Have a 26 foot Keystone Hideout. I have started a search for a generator and seeing different types between inverter and open frame. Inverter I believe is perhaps more quiet than open frame. but I don't know enough about them as to determine which I should get. Do the open frames have more startup/running watts available then the inverters/ Appreciate your input.
majbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

An open frame generator in any campground will get you "MOST UNPOPULAR" status about 15 minutes after you crank it up.

Almost all national parks and many state parks have a "generator noise limit" and most open frame generators exceed the limit. So, if you're going to use it in a campground and you want to not have the rangers visiting you to tell you it's too loud, I'd avoid an open frame "contractor generator"...

That said, there's also "refined power output" on most inverter generators that give them a "better choice award" for clean power, consistent power and "quieter power"....

You really don't want a contractor generator for camping and if given the choice between an open frame inverter or a closed frame inverter, pay the extra few bucks and get the closed frame inverter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Generator choices

Inverter generators create “clean” power to protect electronic devices so any brand inverter gen is better than a non inverter type.

Next consideration is your power demand, are you just charging the battery(s) or trying to operate a roof AC? If the AC is going to be used 3500 watts is the accepted minimum.

Another consideration is noise. While most campgrounds limit times the gen can be run, it’s still rude in my opinion to operate a “contractors” gen during the day. Look at the db rating, lower the number the quieter it is.

Hope this helps you get started, our mantra “ if it doesn’t have full hookups we don’t go there” so I’m not real Davy on brands and features.

On edit: Johns fingers are faster today.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
GHen

I have two Honda 2000. One is a “companion” that has a 30amp rv plug. They can be plugged together to give you 4000 watts.
I seldom use both at the same time. The companion will run my A/C unit which is great, but nothing else or it’s breaker will trip. Your results may not be the same if your A/C unit does not have a soft start module.
Biggest benefits are they are very quiet, lots of available power, light weight and reliable. They use a lot less fuel than the bigger 3-4000 watt 150 pound noisy monsters. If I’m just charging batteries they have an Eco mode and they just quietly putt away and quickly do just what’s needed.

The new models are 2200 watt.
The key for me is the light weight. Easy to get out of the truck, I can place them well away from our seating area (and away from our neighbors).
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
GHen

I should clarify I can run the companion ‘on its own’ to run the A/C, if I need more power, I connect the together and they give me the max 4000 watts.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
DDavis

I got the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Inverter generator late in 2018 and it does everything I need. About as quiet as a Honda of the same size and seems very reliable.
DDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
jbelany

I too run a Predator 3500, and it is awesome. Brand new out of the box I put in an NGK spark plug and this thing is solid. $650 on sale and it has electric start.

Learned the spark plug lesson with a friend's 2000 watt from Harbor Freight. We were camping and new out of the box it surged. Ran to Farm and Fleet nearby, bought a new plug, and put it in. $2 fix and it runs flawlessly, so I did the same thing to my new generator.

Joe
2016 Silverado 2500HD
B&W Patriot slider
jbelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
Logan X

Get an inverter generator for sure. I have a similar trailer and I use a Honda 2k. It runs everything but the A/C. And as someone else mentioned, you can always buy another one later and connect them together so you can run the A/C if you want.

We typically camp with hookups when it is hot so there is no issue running the A/C and we boondock in the winter and cooler months.

Enjoy your RV!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
crowbar

There's no doubt that the Honda is the "Lincoln" of generators for reliability and quietness. I though, couldn't afford a "Lincoln" so I opted for a 2100 watt Firman at half the cost. It too is reliable, quiet and cheap to run. I also looked at the Predator at Harbor Freight with some interest and it's great to hear that Joe has had good success with his 3500. I haven't had any spark plug issues but what he says makes sense. The only thing I noticed with the Firman is that it's really fussy about having fresh fuel.
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Count me in on E3 spark plug crowd. I have a Honda powered power washer that was getting "finicky" about starting and the E3 straightened it out. Bought them for the riding mower, home generator, gas trimmer, chipper shredder, chain saws, etc. and everything I put them in (small gas engines) made a difference.

I'm in no way affiliated with the company but personally I thought they were just a lot of hype until I started using them.

JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator