Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
kksfish

TSD Fuel Program

I just returned from a trip to Gulf Shores Alabama and I was reviewing my fuel receipts and realized how much I spent refueling at truck stops exclusively because of the ease of using truck lanes and I saw that I had spent a lot more than if I had used the mom&pop stations .....then I saw some information on this fuel program and wondered if anyone else here used it.
Supposedly a lot of the truck companies use it???

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

A video talking about it as well

Old 12-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a thread about this program (or a similar one) about 2 months ago. The concerns centered around security of the account. The company wants your banking information and treats the account similar to a debit card. When you make a purchase, the account deducts that amount from your account that is listed on the program.

If you're going to do it, I'd suggest using a separate account for the withdrawals, not your main banking account. That way, if there's a glitch or an "unauthorized" withdrawal, they can only obtain what's in that account, not withdraw everything from your main banking account.....

You can read the other thread here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...light=discount

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
travelin texans

We only used truck stops if necessary, waited til parked/unhooked then went to find those mom/pop shops to fill up, saved 30 to 60 cents a gallon in most places.
A lot of those programs only offer 10-20 cent per gallon discounts which is still typically 20-30 cents more than off the highway prices.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
kksfish

Thanks John.....now I remember seeing that thread! It does sound concerning to give anyone total access to your account, think I’ll pass!

Danny I’m with you when parked but it’s just not practical to unhook while traveling....
Old 12-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksfish View Post
Thanks John.....now I remember seeing that thread! It does sound concerning to give anyone total access to your account, think I’ll pass!

Danny I’m with you when parked but it’s just not practical to unhook while traveling....
We traveled differently than most, parked/unhooked daily usually by 3pm while typically only traveling no more than a tank full of fuel so was not an issue to fill up daily at some place cheaper than truck stops.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Customer1

Yep, use it and love it.

I did not do it for the fuel savings although they are great at some of the stations. I like the convenience of swiping my card at the truck pumps. Previously I had to walk in and activate the pump, walk back out, pump the fuel, pull forward, walk back in to sign, and then walk back out to leave.

Now I swipe the card, pump fuel, and leave.

Love it.

If you were to us my name for a referral I would appreciate it; Timothy Bard
Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Customer1

Quote:
Thanks John.....now I remember seeing that thread! It does sound concerning to give anyone total access to your account...
Not sure what you mean by total access, it is just like using a debit card.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Not sure what you mean by total access, it is just like using a debit card.
Not sure about your debit card, but with mine, I can access up to $400 at any ATM with a maximum of 3 per day. And, I can purchase any amount at a "legitimate store or online facility"... That means if there happened to be a "mistake" or "corrupt individual" at the keyboard for this "convenience card", they could "miss a keystroke" (intentionally or accidentally) and make a $60 charge a $60,000 charge... I don't know about your banking facility, but mine will "help me recover losses" but they don't "guarantee to cover a theft so I have no loss".

That's why I stated that if I were to sign up for this type of service, I'd set up an account at my bank with a separate balance. That way I could move money into that account without having my entire balance subject to "a mistake by a credit card company".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #9
kksfish

Yeah, two ways to look at the debit card....... I like John’s idea of a separate account! Too bad they can’t link it to a major credit card. Years ago while my son was in the military he used his debit card at a gas station and you guessed it someone cleaned out his account leaving him broke and out of town.....Guess who got a call for help, and no I didn’t just deposit some money into his account! He was never able to recover his funds.

Tim
If I decide to go forward with it I will definitely list you as a referral....
Old 12-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #10
KSH

I used it yesterday twice. Much more convenient than walking in and out. I setup a separate account as well.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
Hblick48

I got one as a result of this forum. Used mine for the first time on current trip. Saved about $40 so far, which is HUGE. Beats 9 cents per gallon with a Good Sam at Pilot. We were discussing it last night after we arrived at our first stop. Estimated that is saved 15-20 minutes at each fill-up because card works at pump. No more standing in line. Love it! I attached it to our "secondary" checking account, so no worries about it being drained.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
KSH

Do you also use the loves or pilot card? It asked me for one and I just said skip.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Do you also use the loves or pilot card? It asked me for one and I just said skip.
I have a Pilot card and use it once a year to keep it active. I have it as "just in case" as their fuel is too expensive.

As for a second acct I highly recommend it. When I was working I kept one bank acct just for travel expenses as I was traveling all over the country for work. So all expenses (air fare, rental cars, hotels, meals etc. came out of that acct and the travel expense reimbursements were direct deposited to that acct.

We may take this practice a bit far but we deal with 3 different banks, some with multiple accounts . Wife's disability direct deposit goes in one and mortgage comes out auto pay from it. My SS is direct deposited in a different bank and my retirement goes direct deposited in a third. While this may sound complicated it really isn't. It makes tax time easier and limits exposure if any account is compromised.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
KSH

I was in Oregon yesterday, at loves it asked me if I had an Oregon fuel permit or something like that , and I said no . I then went through the menu and it finally told me I needed a PUC# and to go inside. I just drove over to the non-truck side and used my credit card .

Anyone familiar with what these two things are? I'll be going back to Oregon again in a few days .
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I was in Oregon yesterday, at loves it asked me if I had an Oregon fuel permit or something like that , and I said no . I then went through the menu and it finally told me I needed a PUC# and to go inside. I just drove over to the non-truck side and used my credit card .

Anyone familiar with what these two things are? I'll be going back to Oregon again in a few days .
I think you're referring to the permit number for Oregon regarding taxes on the fuel. It doesn't apply to motorhomes or personal vehicles.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #16
KSH

Back through Oregon again today. Googled puc# there was one we found online, punched it in and everything worked fine. Seemed like it was for tax as you had mentioned. Just saved me from going inside.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Wow! You mean I got it right?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #18
kksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Wow! You mean I got it right?

Yeah, I think you got it right!
Old 12-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
sdetweil

I've signed up too, but I think I would summarize the program this way

if you were gonna use the truck lanes at truck stops cause your rig doesn't fit somewhere else, then this program could save u some money.

now that usually means the Diesel pusher and toad..

with my 5th, I disconnect just about every towing day, and can get fuel without the 5th attached (and I have a 60 aux tank too) so the local stations usually have a better price than the truck stops.

Only once in 3 years has the pilot card discount beat local station prices for me. over 20,000 miles.

but, if it works for you.. cool..
Old 12-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
LewisB

Quote:
I just returned from a trip to Gulf Shores Alabama and I was reviewing my fuel receipts and realized how much I spent refueling at truck stops exclusively because of the ease of using truck lanes and I saw that I had spent a lot more than if I had used the mom&pop stations .....then I saw some information on this fuel program and wondered if anyone else here used it.
We ran into the same issues but took a different route to resolution. I installed a 90 gal auxiliary tank in the bed of our F350 DRW. With the 48 gal truck tank, that gives us 135 gal and a drivable range of over 1000 miles. Weight was not an issue with the DRW. We prefer to stay off the freeway (and away from truck stops), so now we can travel several days without having to "hunt" for station where we fit. Commonly, the DW wants to hit a town every 4 or 5 days for fresh fruit/food, so we will stay in an RV park, unhook, get fuel, shop, etc. when it best suits us rather than being reactive to our fuel state. I think we have paid for the cost of the tank in fuel savings over the years. And it's VERY convenient. JMHO.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel