Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
jbokhart

Hot water heater

Just purchased a 2017 Keystone Outback 240URS. The person prior bought it new and never has used the hot water heater. I am a little scared as he says he did t do anything with it ever bc he never turned it on. I am assuming since I turned on water and no water ran everywhere that it must have the bypass valve switched on. It got dark so I did not look to see. Where is it located at? Under the couch? Is it normal to have them come new with bypass on?
jbokhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
tedmri

I just bought a 2019 Springdale. Did'nt come with a lug wrench. what size socket do I need for the lug nuts
tedmri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbokhart View Post
Just purchased a 2017 Keystone Outback 240URS. The person prior bought it new and never has used the hot water heater. I am a little scared as he says he did t do anything with it ever bc he never turned it on. I am assuming since I turned on water and no water ran everywhere that it must have the bypass valve switched on. It got dark so I did not look to see. Where is it located at? Under the couch? Is it normal to have them come new with bypass on?
Don’t turn on the water heater if there isn’t any water in it, it will cause damage. You can check to see if water is in the water heater by opening the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater located at the outside access. If water comes out that means there is water in the tank. If I had to guess, I would guess that the bypass is off and you have water in the WH.

As far as the bypass valve location, my WH is located under the kitchen counter so I need to remove a drawer to access the bypass valve. Wherever your heater is located, there should be some type of access to get to the bypass valve. Sometimes it’s a little hard to find. You may have to unscrew a panel or remove a drawer or something like that. The body of the water heater is inside of the trailer.

I just made a video about WH maintenance, mostly about draining and cleaning it. Take a look if you like.

https://youtu.be/HbJN2AWov-A

Good luck
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmri View Post
I just bought a 2019 Springdale. Did'nt come with a lug wrench. what size socket do I need for the lug nuts
I have a 2016 Hideout with 15 inch wheels and 5 lugs. The lug nuts take a 13/16 inch socket.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #5
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I have a 2016 Hideout with 15 inch wheels and 5 lugs. The lug nuts take a 13/16 inch socket.
I have a Bullet and it seems the lug nut size is a good 3/4 inch - same as the stabilizer jacks. HOWEVER, the nuts holding the spare are a bigger size. Kind of silly if you ask me!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
midnightsun

WH bypass on the 240URS is under the couch. If the bypass is on make sure the heater electric on/off switch located outside behind the WH panel is set to off or you will burn up the electric heating element.
One caution on mine was the WH controller board is located on top the the water. Wh two adults sat in the middle of the couch, they weight crushed the board. A $55 repair and relocated to side of water heater fixed that issue.
midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
One caution on mine was the WH controller board is located on top the the water. Wh two adults sat in the middle of the couch, they weight crushed the board.
Ouch. You gotta wonder what the architect was thinking.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Ouch. You gotta wonder what the architect was thinking.
It's a long stretch to "anoint Jacob or Hiram" with the title of architect.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's a long stretch to "anoint Jacob or Hiram" with the title of architect.....
I guess I can understand a workman screwing up some trim or drilling a hole a few inches off plan, but I would've thought that when it came to part A being placed over, under, or beside part B, all the units would be assembled the same.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I guess I can understand a workman screwing up some trim or drilling a hole a few inches off plan, but I would've thought that when it came to part A being placed over, under, or beside part B, all the units would be assembled the same.
When you visit the plant and walk down an assembly line, you'll quickly realize that the wiring in the ceiling on one is on the left side of the A/C ducting and on the trailer next down the line, it's on the right side of the A/C ducting and on the next in line, it's divided, some wiring on the left and some on the right of the A/C ducting. When looking at one trailer, the control board is mounted on the back of the water heater, on the next, it's mounted in a box, next to the water heater, on the next, maybe it's in even a different location.

Point is, RV assembly is NOT like the robotic line at a automobile manufacturer's assembly line. The workers follow a "generalized guideline" and are given the "leeway to improvise" to keep the line flowing. You may even find that the water heater cutout on one trailer sidewall is 6" or even more different than the next trailer down the line.

Similarly, you may find that "today's trailers have Suburban water heaters and because of a supply problem, tomorrow's trailers might have Atwood water heaters. The same applies to refrigerators, air conditioners, microwaves, furnaces, even the furniture may be "slightly different" in one or two units as they move down the line.

Typically, an automobile manufacturer won't start assembly on a specific vehicle until ALL of the components are on hand in the supply system, ready for the "robots to install". Not so on an RV assembly line. As long as there's "something to fit the space and fulfill the order" the line will flow.

On one of my visits to the Keystone plant, there were two "white sidewall trailers" going down the line, all the rest were "gray sidewall trailers". When I asked why they were different, I was told that they were "leftover sidewalls" in the sidewall staging area that needed to be used, so the factory located two "front caps" and when they arrived, the trailers were built using the newly arrived front caps.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a trailer with all gray sidewalls and front caps sitting next to a trailer with white sidewalls and gray front cap and next to it, a trailer with white sidewalls and white front cap, all with the same decal package and same model number.

There's a current thread in which a member noticed two different color trailers with the same floorplan, one with light brown exterior walls and one with dark brown exterior walls, same model year, same model trailer, different colors and both for sale "side by side"....

Many of those decisions are made by "upper management" but it's not a "far stretch" to find that Hiram decided where to put the control board on his unit and Jacob put his in a different location on the unit he was building on Wednesday. Thursday, well, it's a different day and there may well be a "current reasoning to do it different tomorrow".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

In Oregon I went through the Arctic Fox RV factory and 2 different Manufactured Home factories. Few on the line doing the build could speak English.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
skids

I have a friend from Las Vegas who told be that nearly all skilled laborers and tech workers like electricians and welders are hispanic. That is no big deal to me as long as supervision is right and quality control is spot on. I can say that I have seen building inspectors that nit-pick in their areas of expertise but let go things they know little about...I am talking about home builders, but I am pretty sure there are similarities with the RV industry.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #13
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I have a friend from Las Vegas who told be that nearly all skilled laborers and tech workers like electricians and welders are hispanic. That is no big deal to me as long as supervision is right and quality control is spot on. I can say that I have seen building inspectors that nit-pick in their areas of expertise but let go things they know little about...I am talking about home builders, but I am pretty sure there are similarities with the RV industry.
You are making a pretty big assumption that there are "building inspectors" in the RV industry. Perhaps in the high end but not what we have here.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #14
skids

I didn’t mean to imply that there are building inspectors in the RV industry, but was trying to draw a parallel to quality control. There needs to be quality control people that are not conflicted with production numbers. The people working on the assembly line need to understand their training and subsequent instruction, that is for sure.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #15
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbokhart View Post
Sorry, I can’t resist asking; What is a hot water heater?
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #16
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I didn’t mean to imply that there are building inspectors in the RV industry, but was trying to draw a parallel to quality control. There needs to be quality control people that are not conflicted with production numbers. The people working on the assembly line need to understand their training and subsequent instruction, that is for sure.
Unfortunately there is little to no incentive to get the job done right, only get it done. They are hourly and as I understand some, maybe most, have a certain amount of work done and when they finish that, they go with that full day's pay. I have no knowledge of training they receive but based on what I see, if they are taking time to get it right, redoing an error that slows things down and the others will express their displeasure. I think there is a myth about Amish quality. Perhaps it exists in their own products they sell but not so in the work they do for the RV industry. Most have farm or family work to do when not RV working so the incentive to be fast is prevalent.

There is a youtube video, Jayco I think, where the narrator brags how fast it goes down the line, just hours from frame to finish. A TT. No one is visible anywhere checking the work done or redoing anything. Sadly as they say "it is what it is" and that's why we the customer are likely to spend countless hours fixing what should, or could, have been done right the first time. In some ways I'm dreading parts of the first year of ownership of the Raptor 356 on order since I never know what will fall of, back out and damage something or just fail because cheap components used. Oh the joy of RV ownership but better than hibernating at home or sleeping in someone else bed, i.e. motel.

On my 2007 Itasca motorhome I still fix stuff and same with the GF's 2012 Crusader 5th wheel except it travels very little so not subject to the shakes of a mobile RV.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
You are making a pretty big assumption that there are "building inspectors" in the RV industry. Perhaps in the high end but not what we have here.

Now, now folks. I'm not sure what you're situation is but I can assure you that Keystone has gone above and beyond to assure you have a top notch, unparalleled PDI on your coach before it leaves the factory . If you think I'm mistaken just watch this....

So, next time a piece just falls off your trailer, just quits working or breaks, know that it was one of those one in a million things that got past this elite team....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #18
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Sorry, I can’t resist asking; What is a hot water heater?
Why would you heat hot water. Smart ***

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Why would you heat hot water. Smart ***
To make steam ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4