Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Tracylea

Becoming full timers in April

Husband and I will be renting out our home on the lake in April and living in our camper full time. We spend a lot of time in it already as it is parked at our daughter and son in laws home where we go to visit for days on end with the grandsons and so I can ride my horse, my mare has lived there since I retired from training/lessons last April. My husband retired last November and this was his dream of living in the rv and traveling to see family and other states. I'm an 8th generation Texan who hasn't left the state since 2004 and am leary of this adventure. Not only will I miss our baby grandsons, our children and my horse but I'll miss home. All I wanted was to sell our lake home and move to the sticks with a bit of land so I can ride and he could garden but now I'm in this adventure thing with him.

He worked hard for many years, as did I, but I loved my job him not so much the last ten years so I decided to let him be happy for once. After all, my dream jobs were mother and my horse work. I've always been happy.

Question is this: Is this difficult getting used to? I do love our camper it's a 35 foot Keystone HC and it is perfect for the two of us but I'm not really a people person mainly the reason I've always worked with horses and kids. Not sure rv parks are my idea of good living and boon docking doesn't sound great without my horse along. I love my husband, we've been together since I was 19 years old I'm 53 and he is 60 now but I'm just not sure I'm going along with this for the right reasons. Any other ladies out there have any suggestions as to how to deal? Thanks for reading if you did and appreciate any suggestions as to how I might better deal with this... adventure. I'm going to try my best to love it as long as we can park it at our daughter's at least every 6 weeks for 2 weeks; otherwise, I'm not sure how long I can stick with it.
Tracylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I'm not a lady, so I can't give you that "slant on things".

That said, I have been married to the most tolerant, understanding, congenial lady I've ever known for 50 years (June 14, this year) and can give you a bit of insight about her feelings. As a military wife, home was where they sent us. As a family, as long as we were all in one place, it was home. As a mother, staying close to and being a part of our children's lives has always been very important to her, maybe even more important than it is to me. Now, as for you, NOBODY on any forum can suggest what is (or isn't) important to you, to your husband, to your family. That's far too personal and the only right answers are the ones that those involved can agree upon.

All that said, you have a horse that sounds (from your statements) to be a very large, important part of your life and something that brings great pleasure to you. If you're "full timing across the country," how much impact will not having your horse along bring to your enjoyment of the adventure?

Again, I'm not able to look at this "through your eyes" but, as an "outsider and male" looking at some of the things that are important to my wife and therefore, things that are important to me. She wouldn't be happy to be "semi-permanently" separated from the things that are most important to her behind her relationship with me. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Tracylea

Thank you. My current mare and all the horses I've had are very important to me they made my stressful moments easier to deal with and they made money for our family. Other than being a mother I've worked with horses all my life I guess now I'll know how my husband feels not going to work every day as I never considered my paying work ... Work. It was the love of my life after him and the kids. Being only 1 1/2 away from my mare has been hard enough on me as whenever I'm sad angry or upset she soothes me when nothing else can. I know that one day in a few years I'll have back what I want a little piece of land my kids grandkids and horses just hoping that my husband and I will find a way to get back there enough to take the edge off of me. I know to a lot if people 8 may sound dumb but I was riding before I was 3 years old on our farm leaving all of it behind for a while will be tough for me. Husband is used to traveling me not so much
Old 02-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Tracylea

And thank you for you and your families service Sir.