Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
sjaeger

Smile 50 Amp shore cord advice

Good evening,
I am going to be living in my 5th wheel full time for a few months while I do some house remodel projects. Where the 5th wheel is moving to has no electrical hook ups (as in no rv friendly electricity yet), but I am exploring the option of having one installed. My current set up is a 50 amp shore cord and I know I most likely won't set the trailer right next to the power pole. How long of a shore cord would be safe to use? Is 50 foot ok? Is 100 ok? I won't be traveling, so lugging the long heavy cord is not a concern.

Thanks in advance
sjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have used a 25’ RV extension cord along with the 30’ shore cord with no issues. Others will chime in with what lengths they have used.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
LHaven

Here's a 50-foot. Note that it's pretty pricey.

I have a retired electrician source that says #6-6-8 stranded is probably good to use for up to 100', but you'd be pushing it. And for the price, you're at least most of the way to hiring an electrician to put in a real outlet (he'd be putting in less-expensive non-stranded cable).
Old 02-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If memory is working, member tracking Texan made his own using some stout but very pliable cord. Hopefully he sees this thread and weighs in as I think it was a lot cheaper.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically, the 30' trailer shore power cable AND a 25' extension cord can be used for most applications. However:

There is more than the length of your RV shore power cord to consider. The distance from the main power panel to the connector where you plug in is also included in the consideration as is the size of the wire from the main panel to the plug and the size of your shore power cable wiring. Undersized wire will cause a voltage drop over longer distances and will carry less amperage, and as the voltage drops, the amperage demand increases. That could cause some problems with overheating things with motors in your RV (air conditioner, microwave, fans, etc.

If you're going to have a power source installed, I'd suggest explaining to the electrician that your trailer is a 50 amp RV system which means 2 legs of 120 volts at 50 amps each for a total of 100 amps across the plug. He'll understand and can size the wiring and give you advice concerning appropriate lengths for any additional cables.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

Homes are routinely fed with 100 amp or 200 amp electrical service so this is not unusual. Get an electrician to look at running you 50 amp service to your site.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Running a plug to the RV would be something prudent.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaeger View Post
Good evening,
I am going to be living in my 5th wheel full time for a few months while I do some house remodel projects. Where the 5th wheel is moving to has no electrical hook ups (as in no rv friendly electricity yet), but I am exploring the option of having one installed. My current set up is a 50 amp shore cord and I know I most likely won't set the trailer right next to the power pole. How long of a shore cord would be safe to use? Is 50 foot ok? Is 100 ok? I won't be traveling, so lugging the long heavy cord is not a concern.

Thanks in advance
I think having a licensed electrician install an appropriately designed power pole where you are moving the trailer. is your best option. An electrician should make sure the wire is properly sized for the run, a proper enclosure is used, and that it's properly protected against over amperage and properly grounded.

I don't want to get over technical but IMHO an extension cord is useful for a short period (as in a day or two) IF it's properly sized. Running a long extension cord, or several of them, lying on the ground perhaps in water puddles or mud, with the connectors out in the elements for long periods without being inspected is just not a good situation.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
sjaeger

Thank you all for the advice. This place is kind of in the sticks of rural America so it's often hard to find people to do a job like that, especially in a timely manner. If 50 ft would work, I can probably shoot for that. It's much less expensive to buy a cord than have thousands invested in something I won't need long term.
sjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

50 ft is commonly used so it shouldn't be a problem. Shield from the sun if you expect long time exposure.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
kksfish

One more thing to consider before deciding whether to go with an extension cord or to install new circuit is to check the voltage at the “source” where you would be connecting.
You mentioned being in a rural area....just ensure the voltage is not low prior to using the extension cord! This could make the situation worse as far as voltage drop is concerned!