Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
atsource

Suggestions on how to install Bunk bed rail

I'm trying to get our new Passport 2590BH camping ready for our 5 year old and 10 month old. I'm looking for suggestions on how to install bunk rails on the top bunk for the 5yr old and for keeping our toddler in the lower bunk. If you've tackled this problem I would love to hear any suggestions.

I was thinking 4 point restrains for the toddler, but the wife wasn't going for it.

2002 Salem Lite 19FDL
2000 Silverado 1500 ext 4dr, LS Z71, 5.3L

atsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Firecapt

My wife used something like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2552662

It worked well for the top or bottom bunk to prevent falls.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
atsource

These bunk pads ( Can't call them a mattress) are super thin. I'm worried there is not enough weight to keep them in place. I'll have to look into it.

THX

2002 Salem Lite 19FDL

Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Gr8fl_ed

I'm needing to do the same thing. I agree this may not work because of the light-weight mattress. I was thinking of installing a wooden rail which would be sturdy enough for my almost 4 yr old to hold on to while climbing up in to the bunk. I'm in the process of finding one, so as soon as I figure someting out I'll share it with ya. I'm also a novice woodworker, so I may try to build something, in which I'll share the plans with ya.
Gr8fl_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
atsource

I ended up doing what you are thinking of doing...using a wood rail. I fabricated two metal collars and a end piece, which I will drop a pin into to lock the sliding bar in place. I have been percrastinating, but nearly done. I hope to finish in the next few days. I'll post a followup.
http://picasaweb.google.com/atsource...eat=directlink

2002 Salem Lite 19FDL

Old 05-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Gr8fl_ed

I got thinking about this. Couldn't you use those under the mattress bed rails and use a 1 or 2 hole conduit clamp to secure it under the mattress? Not sure how comfy it would be, but my kids are small and may not notice. May could even put some of the foam pipe insulatin around it for a padded bump. Besides, its not very comfy when I get kicked out of my bed for the couch?!
2005 Chevy 2500HD
Reese Dual-Cam HP Sway/Dist system
University of Kentucky spare tire cover

C - A - T - S
CATS CATS CATS!!!
GO BIG BLUE!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
therink

I cut, sanded, rounded the corners and match stained a 1 x 8 pine board (#1 grade) and screwed directly into the oem rail with 2" screws so it is also screwed into the aluminum bed framework. It is very strong and looks good. It protrudes about 2" above the mattress and keeps my 5 year old from falling out. I tried one of those under mattress gizmos and this is much better and doesn't have to be set up.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Gr8fl_ed

Finally, after our son falling out of the bunk twice and us leaving for vacatin soon, installed a bed rail. I used one of the under the mattress types and put industrial strength velcro on the "legs" (both legs and all the way up) and put the other part on the wood under the mattress. It's removable, and effective so far. Though a matching wooden rail would be nice, this is working for the time being.
2005 Chevy 2500HD
Reese Dual-Cam HP Sway/Dist system
University of Kentucky spare tire cover

C - A - T - S
CATS CATS CATS!!!
GO BIG BLUE!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
mya7

I have a similar question. We have a 5 year old son and we just adopted a 4 year old boy from China.
We are so excited to pick him up but we have to start preparing the RV for his arrival so that when we all travel, there is enough room! That means bunkbeds! I want to install rails on the top bunk so does anyone have any advice on that? I just did a search and found that they sell bed rails at that site. Does anyone have experience buying from them? I would like to get a review before I buy things online. Thanks for any help!
mya7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mya7 View Post
I have a similar question. We have a 5 year old son and we just adopted a 4 year old boy from China.
We are so excited to pick him up but we have to start preparing the RV for his arrival so that when we all travel, there is enough room! That means bunkbeds! I want to install rails on the top bunk so does anyone have any advice on that? I just did a search and found that they sell bed rails at that site. Does anyone have experience buying from them? I would like to get a review before I buy things online. Thanks for any help!
Something like this may help http://www.target.com/p/Disney-Sure-...s/-/A-13300266 and maybe you can see it at a local store. JM2¢, Hank ...... and Welcome to the forum. ... Not that it is better quality than the ones you posted but the Disney® theme may help the kid not feel like he (or she) is in prison.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
nelsonsgorving

Same dilema...

we have 2 toddlers and we wanted to see if anyone got a successful resolution to update. Some of the links posted are no longer avail.
We have a Keystone VR-1 and we want to make the Sofa/Bed (bottom bunk) a toddler safe bed. I'd like to try and mount something to the sofa railing but wasn't sure if that would be possible.
Our youngest still uses a pack and play well.

So far we have been successful using the mattress from the top bunk on the floor. It just takes up the whole floor area and makes it hard to get around to the closet area for the kids. We are planning a beach trip and I'd really like to free up the extra living area.
nelsonsgorving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
chris199

Also replied in New Member area....

We use something like rhis at home for our granddaughter on a conventional matress. Works great. Bed Bath and Beyond sells two lengths.

Check it out....hope it helps!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?sku=15005629

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
bartletts

We use a standard wood baby gate on our lower bunk in our Passport 238ML for our 6 month old daughter. It works well, and its easy to put in and take out. She probably won't appreciate it when she's 5, though.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote