Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
X-Treme

Need a favor. :)

Just wondering if someone out there with an Alpine 3500RE would be able to get a ballpark measurement of the space where the washer/dryer would go? I want to put some shelving in there next weekend, but am 250miles from my unit. If someone would do this for me, I would gladly pay with "internet beer".

Thanx in advance.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
DocData757

I'm away from mine visiting the Everglades. I'll be back there Wednesday. If you still need the numbers, let me know then.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
X-Treme

That'd be great! Thanx Dave.

Also..... I'm pretty sure that all the front bedroom models of Alpines have the same closet, so if anyone with an Alpine in general could look into this, great. If not, I'll wait for Dave.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
That'd be great! Thanx Dave.

Also..... I'm pretty sure that all the front bedroom models of Alpines have the same closet, so if anyone with an Alpine in general could look into this, great. If not, I'll wait for Dave.
Same closet as an Avalanche? I'd presume so...

In our W/D area (we did not purchase the option), they put three big drawers below the TV area. We use it for jeans, fleece, beach towels... And other items that are thick when they're folded.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
geo

X-Treme -

I put shelving in the W/D space of our Alpine. I ordered Chrome wire shelving from "The Shelving Store". I assembled in in place inside the W/D area since it was a tight for. If you are interested, let me know. I can PM you the components I got, etc.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
kroencke

X-Treme.....We have the Alpine 3600rl and my husband just measured the washer-dryer space. The width was 31 3/8 which is the length of the rod above our washer/dryer. Height is 68 and depth 28 3/4. Hope this helps you.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
X-Treme

Darnit!!!!!!! Was REALLY hopin for 36" width. Fair enough tho. Thanx much.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
X-Treme

Geo. Pics would be awesome! It does sound like that may be exactly what I'd like.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
geo

Quote:
Geo. Pics would be awesome! It does sound like that may be exactly what I'd like.
X-Treme,

We will be at the Alpine tomorrow, so I will shoot a couple of pictures and post on Thursday. If you Google "The Shelving Store", you can see where you can buy the components separately that you want. We got the 4 support poles, 4 shelves (though only presently using 3), some donuts stand-offs, and some sides that snap on to keep things on the shelves while moving. Oh, look in Mods at my WiFi Ranger post. The HP printer is strapped to the top shelf next to a side snap-on.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
geo

X-treme -

OK, here you go. I believe Kroencke has the measurements pretty spot on. I'll check mine this weekend. All of this came from The Shelving Store on the Web, www.theshelvingstore.com. The Shelving Store ships to the US and Canada. Thought you might be interested in that last part!

I got the 24"d x 30"w x 54"h Chrome Wire Shelving Unit with Four Shelves. This basically just fit exactly inside the W/D area! I also purchased some Donut Bumpers, some Wire Shelf Ledges, and a Wire Shelf Divider. There are also Black Wire shelves and kits that are cheaper. DW liked chrome. (WD_shelves.jpg)

There is a tricky part to the assembly. Notice in the picture, WD_starleg.jpg, that the starboard side two legs are sitting on the raised edge of the W/D closet. The port side legs are sitting on the floor (WD_portleg.jpg - please ignore the Chihuahua cages!) As it happens, the rings that the shelf inserts fit into are just the right spacing to allow the difference in the base of the legs and have a level shelf! You will need a rubber mallet and a six pack of fine Canadian beer for this installation. (Tip, if your DW is helping, give her 4 of the beers!) Remove the closet rod. Carefully stack all four shelves, supported on the port side, on the floor of the W/D enclosure. Next, place the four leg rods, adjustible pad down, into the corner holes of the shelves. (There was not enough room for me to construct this from bottom shelf up . . . of course!) With some help, work the top shelf up to the desired height for the top shelf. Have helper hold shelf while you snap the wedge adapters around the leg rod at correct ring indentation. When all four are complete, place the shelf on the wedge adapters. Do so for the three other shelves. It does get harder as you work your way down, so the beer will help. At the bottom shelf, it will fit at the bottom of the ledge on the starboard side and be around 5 centimeters above the floor on the port side. This small concealed area is a great place to stash the empty beer bottles. Now, if you are totally happy with the shelf arrangement, tap near the corners lightly with the rubber mallet. Put the donut bumpers on the top of the leg rods. You will need to carve a flat surface on one of the bumpers to fit the port side against the closet shelf brace which formerly held the closet rod. I used the shelf ledges to close the side of the shelves on the port side so the shelf contents would not spill into the closet. I think you can see the shelf divider - it creates a space for the HP Wireless Printer.

This fits in the W/D area so closely that with the donut bumpers, it does not move during transit!

Now, don't do like we did. After several weeks, we decided to move a dog cage into the lower shelf area. Trying to get the bottom shelf up, with the rubber mallet, makes one desirous to use the mallet on one's head! As you can see, it is possible to do this task.

I'll take you up on the "Internet beer" . . . do "they" provide Wart Hog Ale from Big Rocks in Okotoks?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD_shelves.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1406   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD_starleg.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1407   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD_portleg.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1408  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
sandy43

I did something similar, but I like your idea better. Thanks geo.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
X-Treme

Thank you SO much Geo. This is all absolutely perfect!!! HOWEVER, I just went to The Shelving Store's website, and built my order to exactly mirror yours, total price of $185 and change US, but the UPS shipping is $120. I think not!!

I'll have to try and find something closer to home. Hopefully I can find this stuff.

Anyone coming from Detroit area to western Canada in the next little while?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
geo

X-Treme -

That shipping charge is WAY to steep!

I did some searching. You might take a look at Global Industrial Canada: www.globalindustrial.ca Yes, it does sound like it's quite "industrial", but even Canadian Tire handles more than tires and batteries, eh? The prices on Global Industrial are Cdn$, and if you look at the bottom of the webpage, the price (which is seems resonable even in US$) includes shipping from the States. They also have the donut bumpers and ledges. To start, let me know what you think:

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/sto...ng-30-w-x-24-d

and

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/sto...helving-caster

Oh, I did look at Canadian Tire. They have wire shelving, but I only found the 45cm (18") wide shelving on their website. There are some places in Edmonton that have wire shelving, but their catalogues all listed 24x36, but no 24x30.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
whamilton

Quote:
Just wondering if someone out there with an Alpine 3500RE would be able to get a ballpark measurement of the space where the washer/dryer would go? I want to put some shelving in there next weekend, but am 250miles from my unit. If someone would do this for me, I would gladly pay with "internet beer".

Thanx in advance.
The clothes rod is 31" across with a ceiling mounted partition holding it up. Width of box that plumbing is in is 27 1/4" Height is 51 1/2". From the front of the box to the back of the louvered doors, you have 28". You also have a bumpout on the right wall that runs that 28" length. It is 6" tall and sticks out 5 1/2 inches from the wall.
Hope this helps!!!

Bill
whamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
X-Treme -

That shipping charge is WAY to steep!

I did some searching. You might take a look at Global Industrial Canada: www.globalindustrial.ca Yes, it does sound like it's quite "industrial", but even Canadian Tire handles more than tires and batteries, eh? The prices on Global Industrial are Cdn$, and if you look at the bottom of the webpage, the price (which is seems resonable even in US$) includes shipping from the States. They also have the donut bumpers and ledges. To start, let me know what you think:

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/sto...ng-30-w-x-24-d

and

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/sto...helving-caster

Oh, I did look at Canadian Tire. They have wire shelving, but I only found the 45cm (18") wide shelving on their website. There are some places in Edmonton that have wire shelving, but their catalogues all listed 24x36, but no 24x30.

Ron
Thanx Geo. I had actually already looked at them as an option. Their pricing is good, but shipping charges are only slightly better due to it being the Canadian dollar. I bit the bullet anyway and just ordered everything I need, so hopefully no extra UPS charges when it hits my door.

Thanx again for all the info/pictures. You've been a GREAT help.

Now, where do I send the beer?