Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Johnnyfry

Change location of power point

OK, I finally did it. The location of the power point in the rear center never made sense to me as it sometimes did not allow me to optimize my location vis-a-vis the sewer outlet. The 30 foot cord would be pulled tight and, at times, I would still have to use the extension hose. So ---- I moved it. It is not just below the fridge location and above the furnace, a much better location.

For those interested, a few hints and cautions:

1. in locating your hole, take great care to stay away from the 2 gas supply lines in the area.
2. I used a 2 1/2 inch hole saw and it was the perfect size.
3. Rather than re-use the original Keystone supplied and VERY stiff 6/4 cable I elected to get 6/4 rubber covered core from HomeD althought it is expensive ($5.54/foot). I got 9 feet which allows a generous loop for installing a surge surpression/under-over voltage device later. If you have a 30 amp service and a pull out cord it would also be simple but you would have to buy a 30 amp Marinco plug and bulkhead socket and use your old cord. (West Marine if you live near a coast is probably the best place to get Marinco stuff)
4. I used the OEM Marinco from the rear location as buying a second one would cost $100±. I also left the original wiring in place as I did not want to disturb the chloroplast.

The new set up allows for a power post from 6 feet in front to 6 feet behind AND, it allows hook up on the other side near the center of the trailer. I think that I am covered for all contingencies.

2 pics are attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Out with the old.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1245   Click image for larger version

Name:	In with the new.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1246  
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Murphie

Johnny, thanks for posting your project. I want to do the same for my trailer. I have a 30 ft. Travel trailer with the two rocking chairs at the back and a table /box for the 30 amp cable. The charger/fuse box is under our bed at the other end of the trailer. They run 10/3 the length of the trailer to a JB. I am going to cut the 30amp cord in half and wire the cut part back into the JB. This will allow me to turn the cabinet into a magazine cabinet for half of it and room for the wire in the other half. Next I'll run a second receptacle out the side like you did with a red battery switch which only allows one connection at a time. Next i will put ends on the second part of the cut wire so I will have a short cord for the side. If need be I also have a second 50 ft. Extension so I'm set.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Roberson4

I agree. The elec. connection at the rear makes no sense to me at all. For all our uses makes more sense for it to be near the center of the backside (opposite the entrance door).

Guess it makes sense to the designers somehow. It is certainly no where near the elec. center (breakers, converter) as it is just inside the entrance door on our camper.

I may have to look at doing this mod to ours.

Thanks for posting.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote