Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
lspajm

Question about Towing 2011 passport 3220BH with 2008 F150 XLT 5.4 Ltr

I have a question about towing my new 2011 passport 3220BH with my 2008 F150 XLT 5.4 Ltr. The F150 owners manual doesn't say much - what do folks know about turing the overdrive OFF when towing? Is it a benfit for in-town vs. highway towing? What about turing it off when towing up steep hills?

Any guidence would be appreciated....I am new to towing this unit and just also bought this truck and don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks so much - I have read many other posts about stuff and have learned alot on this forum - so thanks to all the folks that reply and give their "seasoned" advice!
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
chris199

u have tow pkg?

u have tow pkg with the truck? do you have a tow/haul feature?

I have a Tundra...not a Ford....but I don't think you want overdrive kicking in while towing.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
therink

I checked the specs on Keystone website. What you need to be concerned with is GVWR (loaded) weight of the trailer and loaded tongue weight (likely around 750 lbs). Next, look up the ratings of your f150 based on body style (crew, ext cab, bed length) and axle ratio. Take what is listed as the GVWR for your truck, then subtract trailer tongue out weight, hitch weight, then the difference is what you have left for passengers, fuel, bikes, firewood, gear etc in the truck. Hopefully, you have a 3:73 axle.
Based on my own experience, a 35' TT is just to long to comfortable tow with a 1/2 pick up. I've been there, done that and would not recommend it.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
f6bits

What hitch setup are you using? I’m hoping it’s an Equalizer, Reese Dual Cam, or beefier.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Paddler

I don't have first hand experience with a F150, however I have towed a similar sized rig with a GMC 1500. Due to my driving style, < 60 mph, on flat terrain, I usually turned the overdrive off.

I guess the general rule is...if the transmission starts hunting for a gear because of terrain or wind conditions, time to turn the overdrive off. The hunting, will increase the transmission temperatures, not a good thing. If you have a tow haul selector, you will want it to be on. On GMs tow haul will change the shift pattern so the motor won't bog and it increases the pressure on the pressure plates in the transmission to reduce slippage (and thus reduces heat).

Good luck with your new rig,
Old 07-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
tech740

I have the 2011 F150. All you have to do is push the tow haul button on the shifter and let the trans do the rest. If you notice it shifting in and out of overdrive it should be placed in the next lower gear. I only notice the extra shifting in hilly areas.
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
b.d.m

To answer your question you don't want to tow with the over drive engaged.

Have the OD turned off and the light on the dash will get annoying..

With the OD on the computer controlling the trans will want to save fuel at all costs. This will cause your motor to run at lower RPM. You motor doesn't make acquitted HP or torque to get the converter to lock up so you will be heating up the trans fluid and lowering its life expediency.

Most V8 motors make max torque around 2700 - 3500 RPM you'd like your truck to run in that sweet spot. I'm sure if you did a good search for HP / torque curve for you motor you will find it and locate the true sweet spot.

2014 333 MKS
b.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, overdrive, passport, towing