Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
allentx1

Hidden storage under floor?

We have the Avalanche 340TG which has a rear double slide with alot of floor space. The problem is that there is only a shallow closet and 2 drawers (if you don't count the sofa drawer). I do recall seeing a chapparal RV that had a carpeted panel in the floor that lifted up to reveal a plastic tub for storage. Does anyone know if that could be done to my RV? I would definitely consider the rear tanks which I believe are closer to the axles and making the opening flush to avoid the slides rubbing. I just need more storage and underground seems to be the last place I haven't tried.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
geo

Allentx1 -

I am not sure, but I might be your best source of information short of you pulling off coroplast yourself. The Alpine and Avalanche are "sister" models, so we probably have some similarities. Did you look at the pictures on my latest post in "Repairs" about the "Arctic ... Enclosures"? You might want to read some of my comments there and look at the pictures.

So guessing that we have some similarities: The fresh water tank sits immediately forward of the axles. Behind this tank is ducts and slide mechanisms. Slide mechanisms are an upside-down "U" shaped channel with enclosed a rectangular beam with gear teeth on the lower side - one pair per slide. Probably near to one of these slide beams is a hydraulic plunger mechanism and associated hydraulic lines. So, you will have two sets of these slide apparatus. There will be some insulated flexible heating ducts. The living space floor (if like mine) is 5/8" plywood, 8" Styrofoam, and 1/2" plywood sandwiched together. That also forms the "roof" of the belly area. There is about 14" - 18" of air space beneath that "roof". Next is the silver colored (aluminum coated) bubble wrap for "radiant barrier" and coroplast. There will be cross-bracing between the outer I-beams about every 6 to 8 feet.

To do what I think you are suggesting, you would need to account for weight and balance. Pull the coroplast in the desired area and install wood cross-bracing between the steel cross-bracing. In the living area, locate above the wood cross-bracing and remove an access panel of carpet, etc. to get to the top plywood. Cut through the plywood, Styrofoam, and bottom plywood. Rig a framework to hold the storage and provide support for the "trap door". The outside and bottom of this frame should be insulated. Finish it all out and make the carpet pretty on top of the "trap door".

I think that should be a summary. I can post a picture of this area of the belly next weekend if you would like. There will be a certain amount of logistics and a lot of planning and fabrication to all this.

This thing looks like a good Chihuahua trap. I may need to think about this mod also!

I'm interested in your comments, so please post.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
allentx1

I actually did read through that post, I appreciated the detail and pictures. that is what gave me the idea that I could attack my valves myself. Really handy. I think I will cut the access panel in the coroplast and see what I have to work with. From there, I am thinking I may try to adapt a plastic bin of some sort, similar to the drawer in the couches. Seems cleaner. then again, I can work with wood too. If I get brave, I may even add hinges and struts to the door making it self lifting. Just seems like a ton of room.

Also, on the weight piece, Since i do not have ANY storage in the rear externally, most of my gear is in the fron two basement compartments. Seems like they should have made some storage back there to offset the gear I bring. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
geo

Allentx1 -

If you remove about 4 or 5 of the bolts holding the coroplast, you can gently pull it down far enough to get a good view with a flashlight or drop light. Let you see where you are going before you get there, eh. I would encourage you to look at Factory RV Surplus on the Web also. Flyguy referenced this site several months ago in his post on where to get parts. They might have some parts that would help with your mod. Also, they sell coroplast, moisture seal, and underbelly tape.

Please keep us informed of your progress! And always, good luck!!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
allentx1

Question: Many of you reference underbelly tape in a way that makes it seem like it isn't black duct tape. I use black duct tape, is that a bad idea? Is it not as durable as the underbelly sealing tape? Heading to CW today so if I need to pick some up, I'd like to get it while there. (I live no where near a CW and happen to be traveling to a place close to one)

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
mikell

Our Alpine has storage in the floor at the top of the steps but why it's hinged on the step side??? Probably a lot of intense engineering and design meetings but they got it wrong
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentx1 View Post
Question: Many of you reference underbelly tape in a way that makes it seem like it isn't black duct tape. I use black duct tape, is that a bad idea? Is it not as durable as the underbelly sealing tape? Heading to CW today so if I need to pick some up, I'd like to get it while there. (I live no where near a CW and happen to be traveling to a place close to one)
Underbelly tape is DEFINITELY not black duct tape. And I would like to encourage you not to use duct tape on the underbelly - it just won't hold. Underbelly tape is more like a 4" wide black plastic cloth fiberglass tape that has some really sticky-sealing adhesive to it covered by a protective paper. Peel the paper off, expose the adhesive, and stick it on forever. Factory RV Surplus sells it by the foot for US$0.60/foot. A little more expensive than duct tape, but so much better! You order how many feet you want and that is what you get. It is waterproof, etc. Before applying to the coroplast, one should clean the coroplast (I use OxyPower Fantastic) and then re-clean it with rubbing alcohol, air dry, apply underbelly tape carefully. You don't get much of a second chance with this stuff. I don't know if CW sells underbelly tape or not. You will probably have to ask at the Service Desk because I have not seen it on the shopping floor or catalog/web store. To hold the coroplast together during this operation, I use the smallest cable ties one can get at HD, make a series of small holes parallel across the cut, stick the cable ties into the holes and draw the two coroplast sides together. Kind of the same way the doctor at the clinic stitches up the nasty cut on your hand from using the box knife.

The "under stair" storage on some of the Alpines is actually a trap door that goes into the storage basement. I'm not even sure if Keystone is still doing this. What I understood the "sales pitch" for that feature also explains why it's hinged on the stair side. The Keystone concept was to put a basket on a rail in the basement beneath this trap door. While in the bathroom, one could open the trap door and throw laundry in the basket in the basement. When the basket was full, you would open the storage basement, pull the basket out, and head to the laudromat. My thoughts were to remove the basket, then when the Chihuahuas were bad, I could open the trap door and put them in the basement! Our Alpine does not have this feature.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch