Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Higher Standards for RVers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
It is true that you probably will not be cited for being overweight, HOWEVER, if you get in an accident and the adjuster runs the numbers, you insurance company may leave you holding the bag.

This would not be a happy situation. Most any engine out there can pull the trailer but stopping the load is an altogether different matter.

IMHO ( my views may not reflect management!)

John
This also is not true.

Insurance covers everything from stupidity to (your own) negligence - even when the loss occurs while the insured is committing misdemeanor traffic offenses...

Otherwise the guy who runs a red-light and gets in an accident... or the guy who's speeding and gets in an accident.... or the guy who is texting and gets in an accident..... or the guy who gets a DUI and gets in an accident.... Would never get their (own) car repairs covered... They do every day.

Outside of something along the lines of felony drug trafficking, your insurance carrier is going cover you under 99.9999% of the circumstances you can get yourself into. They might cancel you after they pay the claim, but they'll cover you.

Have you ever seen an RV after it's been involved in a serious (or even minor) traffic accident? These things are built like crap and practically blow to smithereens...

Can't you just see the insurance adjuster arriving on the scene of an accident? With little plastic bags... gathering up all the tiny bits and pieces... making a huge pile because they have to weigh it all.. Never mind the fact that the guy's 200 gallons of water is drained - and there's no proving how much he actually had...

<nerdy insurance adjuster voice> "I'm sorry sir, we can't cover this because you were at 101% of your manufacture's GCWRecommendation" </nerdy voice>

I shouldn't take issue with it... But I see so many posts like these that spread false information... Most of it really doesn't even make sense if you ~think~ about it.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Whew... Rant mode OFF!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Perhaps we should all take a moment here before these posts start escalating into something more than a lively discussion. We have read two different opinions about what one can or cannot be held liable and responsible for in an RV-related accident of some sort and be covered (or not) by insurance.
If we are going to make statements about legal responsibilities and insurance with respect to being overloaded/overweight, then we should consider backing them up with some form of documentation, references or other validation other than personal opinion.

To simply say that you will or will not be responsible doesn't do much to lend credibility to either position. Do you know that for sure or are you just "throwing that out there" as an opinion? If you are simply expressing your opinion, then you might consider saying that in your post rather than giving the impression that it is both correct and factual.

This is in no way intended to curb discussion and debate but rather to point out that there is a difference between opinion and fact. Knowing the facts will help members make informed decisions regarding one's legal responsibilities and insurance coverage. Sooooooo, let the discussion continue.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I have actually broken the law, had an accident, been cited, made a claim and had my claim processed. I'm still with my same carrier 6 years later. :fyi:
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

We may be talking about two different scenarios here. I was referring to accidents caused by an overloaded/overweight RV or an RV towed by a vehicle which does not have the capacity to tow a particular RV. It was not meant to include other non-RV related accidents such as car or truck mishaps.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

It should be easy for anyone to determine what is covered and what is not. In actuality, no one should listen to anyone else on the interwebs about what may or may not happen. Anyone interested can easily check their policy. It's in writing and it's a contract.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Perhaps we should all take a moment here before these posts start escalating into something more than a lively discussion. We have read two different opinions about what one can or cannot be held liable and responsible for in an RV-related accident of some sort and be covered (or not) by insurance.
If we are going to make statements about legal responsibilities and insurance with respect to being overloaded/overweight, then we should consider backing them up with some form of documentation, references or other validation other than personal opinion.

To simply say that you will or will not be responsible doesn't do much to lend credibility to either position. Do you know that for sure or are you just "throwing that out there" as an opinion? If you are simply expressing your opinion, then you might consider saying that in your post rather than giving the impression that it is both correct and factual.

This is in no way intended to curb discussion and debate but rather to point out that there is a difference between opinion and fact. Knowing the facts will help members make informed decisions. Sooooooo, let the discussion continue.
My statement of being cited for overweight came from a commercial standpoint. Commercial drivers are held to a higher standard and under more scrutiny. I "assumed" since commercial vehicles can be cited or grounded for overweight the same was true for RV's." Whether that is true or not. It is "MY OPINION" that Rv'ers should be held to the same standards as commercial drivers. After all, we are driving larger vehicles pulling trailers with more and more weight. I believe that those on here with commercial licenses including myself would tend to agree. I know that in CA you are supposed to have an RV endorsement on your license if the GVWR on your trailer is 10000lbs or more.

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
f6bits

Jorme’s post made me find this handy guide:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
Never heard of it before.

Another choice quote: "Safety chains: Must be in an “X” pattern.” I know this has come up here before.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Jorme’s post made me find this handy guide:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
Never heard of it before. Oh, and the 10,000 lb. endorsement is for a travel trailer. For fivers, it’s 15,000 lbs.

Another choice quote: "Safety chains: Must be in an “X” pattern.” I know this has come up here before.
Name is Joel btw....

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
f6bits

Shoot, you caught my post before I edited it. Those 10,000 and 15,000 limits are dependent on if you have a Class A or a Class C license. For Class C, it seems to be the 10,000 limit for any type of trailer when you need the RV endorsement.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 03-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
chris199

Don't Skimp on the WDH

Without regard to whether your insurance will cover an accident......provide your own insurance by getting an excellent. WDH. I know I am probably in the minority but I would go with a Propride 3P or Hensley. Expensive? Yes. Will you regret not spending the money when your on the shoulder sweating or even worse in a wreck.....Yes! Avoid the regret and increase your safety level and get the best. AND DO NOT assume the hitch will give you more towing capacity. You are towing and driving thousands of pounds around....safety first. You will only regret what you didn't spend....I doubt you'll ever kick yourself for increasing your odds on safety.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorme View Post
My statement of being cited for overweight came from a commercial standpoint. Commercial drivers are held to a higher standard and under more scrutiny. I "assumed" since commercial vehicles can be cited or grounded for overweight the same was true for RV's." Whether that is true or not. It is "MY OPINION" that Rv'ers should be held to the same standards as commercial drivers. After all, we are driving larger vehicles pulling trailers with more and more weight. I believe that those on here with commercial licenses including myself would tend to agree. I know that in CA you are supposed to have an RV endorsement on your license if the GVWR on your trailer is 10000lbs or more.
I agree with you that RV'ers should be held to a higher standard.. Perhaps up to FMCSA standards might be a bit overkill.. but something higher than what we have none-the-less....

Sadly, I'd wager that holding RV's to a FMCSA standards would likely take more than 50% of RVers off the road.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
RCrawler

That might not be a bad thing. Would also like to see some license requirements. I've seen some scary driving from some large motorhomes and trailers.

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
golfnate07

Thank you for the responses from everyone! I am just finishing college this semester and have a few payments left on my Dakota, I love camping and currently have a pop up, but the future fiance and I are looking for bigger. with that new payment and school loans, I don't think the budget would fit a larger truck payment... But I lost the whole integrity of the post now!

Thanks again!

Nathan
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

Hi Natan it is amazing how a thread goes! so yes issurance will cover you thats great. safty is priceless you have a popup and a tv. and it is safe. you can't afford all new equipment... then don't do anything unsafe wait save you money then when you can afford it and do it safely then go 4 it!. your yong and hopefuly will have a long life ahead of you with your lady. if you rush there will be nothing left in life!!! just my thoughts after 60 years
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

I totally agree with Barney. Insurance "may" reimburse your loss of equipment and you could even make a little if you're lucky. But one thing insurance can NEVER pay you for is the pain and/or personal loss you encounter. No amount of money will ever take away the suffering that you encounter and "heaven forbid" should anyone get killed in the incident, that's something you've got to live with the rest of your life. There's just no way to buy insurance against that kind of burden.

Do all you can to be safe, and prepare for the worst, that way should the "inevitable" happen to you, at least you'll know you did everything you could to prevent it. That may not resolve the burden, but in your mind, you'll know you did all you could. Might help someone sleep a little better some night.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
JimEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Insurance covers everything from stupidity to (your own) negligence - even when the loss occurs while the insured is committing misdemeanor traffic offenses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I have actually broken the law, had an accident, been cited, made a claim and had my claim processed. I'm still with my same carrier 6 years later. :fyi:
Careful. Consider an accident involving death or multiple deaths and law suit(s). There are concepts in law called “contributory and comparative negligence”, and just because it’s never happen to me, doesn’t mean it can never happen.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtjh View Post
i totally agree with barney. Insurance "may" reimburse your loss of equipment and you could even make a little if you're lucky. But one thing insurance can never pay you for is the pain and/or personal loss you encounter. No amount of money will ever take away the suffering that you encounter and "heaven forbid" should anyone get killed in the incident, that's something you've got to live with the rest of your life. There's just no way to buy insurance against that kind of burden.

Do all you can to be safe, and prepare for the worst, that way should the "inevitable" happen to you, at least you'll know you did everything you could to prevent it. That may not resolve the burden, but in your mind, you'll know you did all you could. Might help someone sleep a little better some night.
x2

very well said
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Handysam

Civil suites involving other people can enter this equation also, just like in any automobile accident.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Paddler

Well, I'm sold!! Gonna sell my diesel 3500 dually and purchase an F-150 Ecoboost!!! Yes, I've be grossly overweight, it will tow like poop and I'll be a major accident just waiting to happen....but hey my insurance will cover it!! Just hope the lawyers of the families I kill or maim won't take me to civil court since I will be "Willfully negilent".
Closed Thread