Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
Ted330

First Keystone - Outback

Current unit Freedom Express 292BH

Kids don’t join us anymore. So we’ve outgrown our bunkhouse trailer.

Wife must have an outside kitchen.
I want a larger bedroom and we both want a big living area.

We have chosen the Outback. I like the Cougar but it don’t have the outside kitchen.

Outback 330RL or 332ML

I was quoted a Premier 30RIPR but it don’t seem as nice as the Outback
Ted330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted330 View Post
Current unit Freedom Express 292BH

Kids don’t join us anymore. So we’ve outgrown our bunkhouse trailer.

Wife must have an outside kitchen.
I want a larger bedroom and we both want a big living area.

We have chosen the Outback. I like the Cougar but it don’t have the outside kitchen.

Outback 330RL or 332ML

I was quoted a Premier 30RIPR but it don’t seem as nice as the Outback
Curious, what's your tow vehicle?
Both those models are nearly 38' long with a GVWR of 10500lbs which equates to 1300+ lb tongue weight putting them at the limit of most 1/2 ton trucks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Ted330

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Curious, what's your tow vehicle?
Both those models are nearly 38' long with a GVWR of 10500lbs which equates to 1300+ lb tongue weight putting them at the limit of most 1/2 ton trucks.
I currently have an F-150 3.5 Ecoboost. I have another 2021 Ecoboost with tow package on order.

The trucks payload is about 2100 pounds give it take the options. I’ll know exact when it arrives.

The tow rating is 11,200Ibs the way I have it equipped.

I will be near the weight limit for this truck. However, I will pull it 40km to my lot and that’s where it’ll stay until I sell it.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I currently have an F-150 3.5 Ecoboost. I have another 2021 Ecoboost with tow package on order.

The trucks payload is about 2100 pounds give it take the options. I’ll know exact when it arrives.

The tow rating is 11,200Ibs the way I have it equipped.

I will be near the weight limit for this truck. However, I will pull it 40km to my lot and that’s where it’ll stay until I sell it.

Welcome... you might wan to pay some with an appropriate truck to pull that big ol' new trailer 40KM for safety sake.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
Ted330

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome... you might wan to pay some with an appropriate truck to pull that big ol' new trailer 40KM for safety sake.
Maybe you understand towing more than I do?

If my payload capacity is 2100 ibs and my hitch weight is 1100ibs, shouldn’t I have room to spare even with the weight of fuel in my truck and my wife as a passenger. That’s about it plus fuel.

I’ll maybe have a couple hundred pounds of gear in the camper. I’ll fill the propane tanks. So I’ll still be under weight for the camper as well. I figure 9100 ibs with a tow rating over 11,000.

I would want more truck to camp around the country but for a short trip, shouldn’t my truck be more than enough?

Am I missing something?
Old 09-19-2021, 03:44 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
markcee

Quote:

If my payload capacity is 2100 ibs and my hitch weight is 1100ibs, shouldn’t I have room to spare even with the weight of fuel in my truck and my wife as a passenger. That’s about it plus fuel.

I’ll maybe have a couple hundred pounds of gear in the camper. I’ll fill the propane tanks. So I’ll still be under weight for the camper as well. I figure 9100 ibs with a tow rating over 11,000.

I would want more truck to camp around the country but for a short trip, shouldn’t my truck be more than enough?

Am I missing something?
First, pay ZERO attention to the manufacturer's published 'tow capacity'. That is a meaningless figure when it comes to towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel. Second, unless you ordered the heavy duty payload package (HDPP), 2100 pounds of payload would require a very lightly equipped F150. But, even if you had that much payload you are still dealing with hauling around a 38' trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. That is a whole lot of sail behind you. Having done this with a 33', 9500 lb GVWR trailer, I don't think you are going to like it much. My setup was just under the rear axle weight rating on my '19 max tow F150 XLT (1873 payload) and I had occasions where the trailer felt like it was in control and not the truck. I would imagine 5' more trailer would really make things interesting.

I moved up to an F350 and it's a different story. The larger wheelbase and sheer weight of the truck make for a much more worry free towing experience. I skipped going to an F250 as the driveability between 3/4 and 1 ton is essentially the same, there is a large payload bump in the 1-ton and the price difference is negligible.

I learned the hard way - bought the (wrong) truck, and listened to the RV salesman that said "you have plenty of truck to tow that". You are in a good place where you have the opportunity to match the truck to the trailer.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Am I missing something?
I know you asked George this question but I have a question as it's not clear to me. Did you previously tow your current trailer? The reason I ask is do you have a weight distributing hitch? If you don't, then I would have the trailer delivered to the site as it likely would cost less than purchasing the hitch. A trailer that size would likely have a tongue weight that exceeds the hitch capacity without using a weight distributing hitch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
Ted330

I agree. But I’m moving the TT 40 km to the park where it will stay. I’ll take my time. The truck and trailer will be very lightly loaded.

And I’m well within the published limits.

However, if I were to travel across the country I would definitely get a more capable truck.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
Ted330

I did tow my current TT a considerable distance and I have a weight distributing hitch. And I am considering that added weight as well.

But if the consensus here is that its too risky to pull my TT 40km, maybe I should borrow a friends truck.

I figure if I have at least 500-600 ibs of payload to spare and 1000 plus pounds of TT weight, I’d be fine going on a 30 minute trip up a flat highway to the park.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I agree. But I’m moving the TT 40 km to the park where it will stay. I’ll take my time. The truck and trailer will be very lightly loaded.

And I’m well within the published limits.

However, if I were to travel across the country I would definitely get a more capable truck.
Time has nothing to do with weight. Look at the sticker on the hitch, it will have 4 weights listed. Max tongue weight with and without weight distribution, and max trailer weight with and without weight distribution. The lowest capacity of any component will be the limiting factor in towing. If the lowest number in the connection is exceeded then the rest doesn't matter. You can have a CAT D8 dozer pull a M1A1 tank out of the mud if it's connected by a 1/4" chain the chain will break. All I'm saying is check it out before you hitch up so you'll know.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, outback