Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #41
wiredgeorge

Question was asked abouit an older 7.3 Ford diesel and noted its rated power. I don't know if the OEM truck manufacturers exaggerate power numbers but I do know vintage motorcycles bumped up the horsepower rating every year on virtually the same engine. These numbers didn't look like reality as I have seen well tuned versions on a dyno. I know bike horsepower is taken at the flywheel for these numbers but my 6.0L claims 325 hp and 570 ft lbs of torque. The 2021 6.7 is at 475 hp and 1050 ft lbs torque. How the heck does this engine make double the torque of the 6.0L? Are the number exaggerated or reality? Not trying to start a horsepower war, just curious. I have plenty of power to drag my small fifth wheel down the road or up a hill... just curious.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #42
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Question was asked abouit an older 7.3 Ford diesel and noted its rated power. I don't know if the OEM truck manufacturers exaggerate power numbers but I do know vintage motorcycles bumped up the horsepower rating every year on virtually the same engine. These numbers didn't look like reality as I have seen well tuned versions on a dyno. I know bike horsepower is taken at the flywheel for these numbers but my 6.0L claims 325 hp and 570 ft lbs of torque. The 2021 6.7 is at 475 hp and 1050 ft lbs torque. How the heck does this engine make double the torque of the 6.0L? Are the number exaggerated or reality? Not trying to start a horsepower war, just curious. I have plenty of power to drag my small fifth wheel down the road or up a hill... just curious.
Probably turning the injection pump up between years for small gains as well as bigger turbo …later years it better injection pumps ..bigger injectors ..different pistons and valves and larger turbo as well as tuning in the computer..

I have twin 210 6bt cummins in one of my boats. They will run forever at this lower horsepower…they take the same engine and get up 370 hp with changes but I question if they get the same longevity

It also makes sense that the manufacturers never show their cards…I would think they lowball to stay within the big three horsepower without overshooting and giving all the capability away…that way each year they can up them without assembly line changes Just a guess

Ford went through a few different diesel motors over the last 20 years…I’d love to find an old pickup with a cummins 12 valve or Ford 7.3
Old 09-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #43
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd have to agree with Danny 100%!
If it's the last truck you're buying get the best option, which for that rv is a dually diesel of whichever brand you like.
Reading this forum you'd never know it but there are 3 brands of diesel trucks that are more than capable of handling the task.
I do know there are 3. And all very powerful too! I just can't get past the look of the Chevy. Not my cup of tea. The GMC looks a little better, but still not for me. Plus I've personally had nothing but troubles with every GM that I have or my kids have owned since the early 90's. The RAM is a possibility, but I've had very good luck with my Ford trucks since 1988.
I noticed the post about the old cummins or the old 7.3. They were reliable, but made such a God awful racket that my DW hates diesels to this day! She has agreed to at least take a test drive in a new one to see if they're quiet enough for her.
I know a diesel will perform better, but isn't everything in RV living some sort of compromise?
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:31 AM   #44
Todd727

It's cool that they make that kit, but if you have the upfitter switches, you can do this for the price of a few feet of wire and a simple resistor.

I've found that using a 1K resistor gives me about 1500 RPM and is plenty. The only time I use it is when jumpstarting other vehicles. It really helps when I need to get a construction equipment or a semi fired off.

If you want the variable speed, then you replace the resistor with the potentiometer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Q-252.pdf (324.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf Q-256R1.pdf (838.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf Q-259.pdf (231.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #45
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
It's cool that they make that kit, but if you have the upfitter switches, you can do this for the price of a few feet of wire and a simple resistor.

I've found that using a 1K resistor gives me about 1500 RPM and is plenty. The only time I use it is when jumpstarting other vehicles. It really helps when I need to get a construction equipment or a semi fired off.

If you want the variable speed, then you replace the resistor with the potentiometer.
I agree , you absolutely can DIY this. It takes a potentiometer to get the variable speed but definitely doable. For me it was the convenience factor and nice clean install that pushed me to this kit a second time. I am an electrical engineer with 30 years of Industrial Automation experience that sometimes just likes to go the easy route.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I agree , you absolutely can DIY this. It takes a potentiometer to get the variable speed but definitely doable. For me it was the convenience factor and nice clean install that pushed me to this kit a second time. I am an electrical engineer with 30 years of Industrial Automation experience that sometimes just likes to go the easy route.
To me, it's sort of like buying hair clippers and a straight edge razor vs going to the barber shop on a regular basis... in the "long run" owning the clippers and razor might well save a few bucks.... in the "short run", trying to save my ears from an "ill operated straight razor" is priceless.....

I agree, buying a "proven kit" (or trusting a licensed barber) is much easier, and in my case, significantly safer, than going through a box of bandaids trying to reattach an ear (or two).....

I appreciate the report on installing the kit. I've seen it advertised in a few places and wondered how easy it was to install....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #47
wiredgeorge

I don't know if this high idle thing is a DIY project but I can attest to DIY haircut ineffectiveness. We had barber shops CLOSED here in Texas for a few months before they reopened with stringent health related rules (masks, temp taking, distancing, etc). During the closure, I bought a set of clippers and the missus cut my hair ONCE. It looked self inflicted to the point I was kind of glad we weren't seeing a bunch of folks. Amateurs can't taper hair. I wore a hat when leaving the property.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I don't know if this high idle thing is a DIY project but I can attest to DIY haircut ineffectiveness. We had barber shops CLOSED here in Texas for a few months before they reopened with stringent health related rules (masks, temp taking, distancing, etc). During the closure, I bought a set of clippers and the missus cut my hair ONCE. It looked self inflicted to the point I was kind of glad we weren't seeing a bunch of folks. Amateurs can't taper hair. I wore a hat when leaving the property.
My son, now pushing 50, still talks about the summer he was 9 and I cut his hair. He wore a hat, a "doo rag" or stayed home for nearly half the summer, afraid that his friends would laugh at him more than his mother did.....

Since that one time attempt, I won't even clip the dog's feet. He can track in mud if DW can't/doesn't make him an appointment at the "dog beauty shop"... I will say that when he comes home from being "groomed" he prances around the house with his "new look" and "clean smell"... That is until the first time I throw a ball into the lake, then he's "himself again", all smelly, wet and tracking mud into the house.... DW, well she just shakes her head and gives me "that look"... It's NEVER the dog's fault.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #49
jasin1

Quote:
Should have got the flow bee lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3F5CDE8-3DA3-48E5-A50D-8EA35482397A.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	36106