Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #21
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I noticed that same comment and asked myself, "If it left his dealership with that many problems, what did his PDI guy do other than lunch and coffee breaks?" If it came back with 40 problems, it should NEVER have left the dealership the first time.....
You highlight the need to find a good dealer to deal with and how much of a difference they make. My dealer just sent a brand new Montana back to the factory and refused to take delivery because they found so many issues that would have to be fixed under warranty. They barely get paid enough under their warranty repair agreement to break even. He said they inspect every RV that is delivered before they accept delivery. If warranty repairs are needed, they try to get them done before they put it up for sale. If there are to many, they send them back to the manufacturer because it’s just not worth them doing the repairs. If more dealers would do that maybe the manufacturers would do better QC. This dealer would rather not sell a bad unit than have an irate customer and lose this customer forever, along with their family and friends.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
You highlight the need to find a good dealer to deal with and how much of a difference they make. My dealer just sent a brand new Montana back to the factory and refused to take delivery because they found so many issues that would have to be fixed under warranty. They barely get paid enough under their warranty repair agreement to break even. He said they inspect every RV that is delivered before they accept delivery. If warranty repairs are needed, they try to get them done before they put it up for sale. If there are to many, they send them back to the manufacturer because it’s just not worth them doing the repairs. If more dealers would do that maybe the manufacturers would do better QC. This dealer would rather not sell a bad unit than have an irate customer and lose this customer forever, along with their family and friends.
I see a lot of issues if dealers start sending units back to the factory. It won't take but a couple of times before the factory stops sending units to that dealership unless the transportation costs are paid before the shipment will leave the factory yard. That just puts the dealership in the position of having to "eat the shipping" or stop selling Keystone products. With today's "buying public" people are looking for the best deal, not the best service, so Keystone will just "double up shipments to large internet wholesale dealers" where no PDI is done and many of them don't even have a service department because most of their customers live thousands of miles away.....

It's a double edged sword for a dealership to stop accepting trailers. Might work once or twice, but after that, Keystone will just stop shipping to that dealer. After all, they're selling them as fast as they can build them, losing one dealer won't hurt Keystone, but it will hurt the town where that dealer's lot is set up.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:28 AM   #23
notanlines

"My dealer just sent a brand new Montana back to the factory and refused to take delivery because they found so many issues that would have to be fixed under warranty. "
That makes me wonder if A, is the dealer telling Mike the truth, and B, what hot-shotter as they like to be called would be willing to drag that RV back to Indiana? I suspect the RV doesn't move if he doesn't get paid.

On edit: I looked into this a little further and read the following on www.rvtransport.com:
"An example is when we bring a unit back to the factory for warranty repairs, or because delivery was refused for some reason. On most return loads, and other 'back-haul' loads, the mileage revenue is shared, with 80% of the mileage revenue paid to the truck."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:54 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"My dealer just sent a brand new Montana back to the factory and refused to take delivery because they found so many issues that would have to be fixed under warranty. "
That makes me wonder if A, is the dealer telling Mike the truth, and B, what hot-shotter as they like to be called would be willing to drag that RV back to Indiana? I suspect the RV doesn't move if he doesn't get paid.

On edit: I looked into this a little further and read the following on www.rvtransport.com:
"An example is when we bring a unit back to the factory for warranty repairs, or because delivery was refused for some reason. On most return loads, and other 'back-haul' loads, the mileage revenue is shared, with 80% of the mileage revenue paid to the truck."
Now that sounds like an incentive for the dirver to take extra care in avoiding pot holes, and otherwise "gently" teturning a load.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality