Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #21
Opa 1

Just an update. As y’all suggested I just ordered a f350 dealership told expect 4 months before deliver. Oh well we will have to be patient and begin our camping adventures next year. See y’all in 2022
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #22
slow

Very New

It will probably be a shorter wait. The manufacturers have learned to manage expectations over the last year. We upfit chassis and recent deliveries have been sooner than commitments. I hope the same is true for you.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #23
Opa 1

Thanks, that would be a happy surprise. It would be nice to go to a local campground in 2021. Weather in south alabama is perfect for camping in November and December.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #24
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
.........Does anyone have an opinion as to is it better to leave your trailer plugged in and running all the time or to let is sit idle between camping trips or does it matter?
Doesn't matter. I have owned 3 fifth wheel trailers (Everest for 10 years and 2 Montana's) for 17 years and never plugged them and ran the equipment while stored between trips and never had equipment failures abd disconnected the batterieswith a quick disconnect switch to mitigate battery drain from parasitic current draw.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #25
Jcholt7379

We leave our ACs on during the summer and slides in. During spring & fall, we run the fan to pull the air out with a Damp Rid tub along with dryer sheets.
No issues...

We wash it a A couple of times, and the awnings require cleaning.
Jcholt7379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #26
Opa 1

Thank you both for the comments, it is good to hear both views. You are correct being in the South with the high humidity it make make sense run the AC just to keep down moisture levels down.

One thing I really like about the Keystone is the new indoor/outdoor floor mat they use to replace the carpet. I assume this should help with the humidity as well if the AC is not running.

Very Good Comments, Thank You
Old 09-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #27
jimborokz

Quote:
Thank you both for the comments, it is good to hear both views. You are correct being in the South with the high humidity it make make sense run the AC just to keep down moisture levels down.

One thing I really like about the Keystone is the new indoor/outdoor floor mat they use to replace the carpet. I assume this should help with the humidity as well if the AC is not running.

Very Good Comments, Thank You
As snowbirds we use our 5er all winter and return home for the summer. We park it in the driveway for most of the summer and use it for fridg storage and a guest room for when the kids and grands visit. Generally store it off site for a month or so before we leave again in the fall. We have a disconnect on the neg. terminal for that.

As for the TV, you made the right choice for the F350. The new ones ride like a dream. I have a golfing buddy with an F150 and when I drive he always comments that my truck rides better than his.

BTW, welcome to the forum and keep the questions comming.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:31 PM   #28
Opa 1

Thank you I am certain when the 5’er arrives I will flood y’all with more questions
Old 09-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Great advice so far. I'll just add a "shopping list" for you to ponder. The EMS (not just a surge protector), the water regulator are must haves but here are some things you'll need that are not included or may be in a "dealer starter pack" thats not sufficiant.

Wheel chocks, get good ones, that's a lot of weight to hold back. Xchocks are a good addition to wheel chocks as they help reduce movement.
Leveling blocks or wood cribbing for under the stabilizers. I use the Anderson Leveler to easily raise one side.
Extension hoses and wire. You may find the shore power cable too short to reach in some camp grounds. An extension is handy to have ahead of time. A 30 to 50 amp adapter as well if you find yourself in a 30 amp only site. Sewer hoses, get quality hoses they are worth the extra expense. I carry a 20' and a 10'. Water hoses, same thing, get quality. Two 25' hoses and do not use your drinking water hose to rinse the black tank, a garden hose for that task. Also get a water filter for the potable water hose. 8 use a 10" canister style with replaceable filter. The "disposable" in-line filters are ok but not my favorite. Tv coax cable to cannect park cable tv.

This is a "short list" so don't run off screaming. RVs are investments where the cost of the ujit is the BEGINNING of the expenses, jot the end. You have a great opprotunity to "kick the tires" before heading out on the road. A lot of folks make the misteak of scheduling a trip for the day after or even of delivery. That will culminate in a shortened PDI, arriving in a cg unprepared and not remembering how to operate things. Do a thorough PDI , then camp out in the yard a few nights to "wring out" any issues before leaving home. Good luck with your new rig and make some great memories.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:57 AM   #30
Opa 1

That is a timely reply, I was just discussing last night we need to get prepared to buy the needed items and best places to get. When I was negotiating for the 30RL I gave the dealership a very long list. I was able to get big items like slide toppers, direct tv, bumper mounted gas grill and a surge protector. But the rest of the list they gave a $400 gift card to be spent at the dealership.

The question we were discussing is what would be best to buy from dealership and where might be the best place(s) to buy some remaining items we need

I will definitely add to my list that you advise like extra hose and in line filter we never thought of and also the upgrades in quality and not just by price point or randomly picking from shelf
Old 09-18-2021, 03:00 AM   #31
Opa 1

Are tire covers a must when camping?
Old 09-18-2021, 03:19 AM   #32
Opa 1

What about most used basic hand tools, standard vs metric? Most commonly used tools on an RV?
Old 09-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #33
German Shepherd Guy

Opa1

Lots of great advise here. Looks like a great rig you are getting. Plugged in all the time be sure to schedule regular battery inspections. What Sourdough said about tires,

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:48 AM   #34
German Shepherd Guy

Opa1:
I forgot to mention, and hope others with way more experience on this than I will chime in.

Due to recent parts shortages RV manufacturers have been delivering to their dealers some very questionable quality. Be sure you have your walk through list in hand when you go to pick up and EXPECT to take the day going through your new RV before accepting delivery. Take a ladder and be sure to carefully go over the roof and inspect and try out all electrical and water connections. There is on this site a very useful pre-delivery check list. Hopefully either John or Danny can direct you to it. Your Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is right now more important than ever.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Opa1:
I forgot to mention, and hope others with way more experience on this than I will chime in.

Due to recent parts shortages RV manufacturers have been delivering to their dealers some very questionable quality. Be sure you have your walk through list in hand when you go to pick up and EXPECT to take the day going through your new RV before accepting delivery. Take a ladder and be sure to carefully go over the roof and inspect and try out all electrical and water connections. There is on this site a very useful pre-delivery check list. Hopefully either John or Danny can direct you to it. Your Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is right now more important than ever.
This is great advice!
Also DO NOT sign anything until everything is as you want it to be, they'll be a bit more responsive in repairing stuff before you pay them.
As mentioned don't plan a trip the same afternoon after the PDI, it may take a couple days to get it to your satisfaction, then as mentioned camp in your driveway a few nights til your familiar with the operation of everything.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

As for what to purchase where ... I'd start by getting a credit from the deal on the surge protection and use that alomg with some of that $400 for whatever they have that may be currently unavailable on line. Not EVERYTHING at the dealer's parts counter is overprived. With a smartphone it's real easy to price compare while shopping.

Another thought on spending that "dealership money", maybe negotiate larger/better battry(s). The dealer supplies the battery and they are typically not true deep cycle batteries but are "dual purpose" and often listed as marine/RV starting/deep cycle. If it lists CCA (cold cranking amps) it's not a true deep cycle. If you opted for a 12v fridge (12vdc compressor) or a residential fridge with ab inverter then I would go with two 6vdc golf cart batteries wired in series.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #37
Opa 1

Thank you for this helpful information
Old 09-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #38
Opa 1

Will the Hughes watchdog cover my surge protector needs?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Will the Hughes watchdog cover my surge protector needs?
If it's the model # 34951 yes it will.