Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
gearhead

Dang flies

So when are the flies not in Iowa, Illinois, or Ohio? We did some grilling and smoking back in Knoxville Iowa and of course were inundated by flies. Just like home but these bite. I bought a fly strip/trap at a farm & store that the clerk said works fine, no not for me. Not one fly on it. They were just as bad at the campground near Springfield. Just pulled in to Sikeston Missouri and got 'em here too. Wondering if we brought them with us. Last year in Ohio I burnt a pair of shoes trying to hold them next to a citronella candle.
We just left Lamberts and pigged out. Had enough leftovers for 2 or 3 meals. Cracker Barrel X 10 on quality and quantity.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Here you go Brent:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...SABEgKdLfD_BwE

A virtual fly magnet - works great! We've had them everywhere also. Use these at home. Son called the other day from Lake Whitney complaining about all the flies and told us about the great success he was having using these bags (he didn't know I was using them too). Downside is they're a little messy (gotta put water in them) and have a very "distinct" odor you want to be downwind but other than that they bring 'em in. Note to self: after a few days and about 3-4" of dead flies get rid of it! The dead flies start making "new" flies and it becomes a little self contained fly factory.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
jasin1

I use these on our back property…I just hang one on a yard flag holder in the middle of the yard …it’s a sticky molasses looking coating you paint on it…apparently horse flies/June flies go after round objects because they think it’s a human or animal head.. this picture was after a week or so ..they would dive bomb you as soon as you went back there in the beginning of summer..I take it downend of July and it’s usually good to go…wouldn’t want one at a campground unless I was there for a couple of weeks..I’ve used the bags also around my mother in-laws house and they work good as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6090FD15-00E4-46B6-9A7B-9B20BD2BFA70.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	35414   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFAC44AB-670F-4975-9B94-614CADCA39A1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	35415  
Old 08-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
notanlines

I'm sure other parts of the country have restaurants like Lambert's, but none that we've found. If you're in the mood for LARGE amounts of country cooking and a fair price, this is it!
About a year ago we had eaten and waiting to call our ride at the RV park. Their driver from Lambert's said 'No way, Jose, I'll take you. You're not standing in the rain for them."
Always good food, and always friendly service.
And Brent, we didn't have any flies inside either!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here you go Brent:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...SABEgKdLfD_BwE

A virtual fly magnet - works great! We've had them everywhere also. Use these at home. Son called the other day from Lake Whitney complaining about all the flies and told us about the great success he was having using these bags (he didn't know I was using them too). Downside is they're a little messy (gotta put water in them) and have a very "distinct" odor you want to be downwind but other than that they bring 'em in. Note to self: after a few days and about 3-4" of dead flies get rid of it! The dead flies start making "new" flies and it becomes a little self contained fly factory.
I've got a Tractor Supply 1/4 mile from the house. I'll get a couple...1 for home and 1 for the 5th. I really like the upper Midwest, except for the biting flies.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm sure other parts of the country have restaurants like Lambert's, but none that we've found. If you're in the mood for LARGE amounts of country cooking and a fair price, this is it!
About a year ago we had eaten and waiting to call our ride at the RV park. Their driver from Lambert's said 'No way, Jose, I'll take you. You're not standing in the rain for them."
Always good food, and always friendly service.
And Brent, we didn't have an flies inside either!
We have eaten at the Ozark Missouri location a few years ago but not here in Sikeston. Haven't been to the Foley Alabama location yet.
Yes it's excellent quality, which isn't the usual for these gut buster type places. I had catfish and I think it was really catfish. Betty had her always favorite CFS (chicken fried steak) and said it was great. By the time the waiters come around giving away food, what they call pass arounds I think, you can have 2 or 3 meals served to you, with at least a meal to take with you. I got a cinnamon roll to go and it is monster. It'll take 2 sittings to eat that big thing.
Dang I left Springfield Illinois with flies and brought them with me to Sikeston, see If I can drop them off at Little Rock.
Yes we shower regularly. LOL
And..still lovin the new disc brakes, and the tire monitor is working great.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We have eaten at the Ozark Missouri location a few years ago but not here in Sikeston. Haven't been to the Foley Alabama location yet.
Yes it's excellent quality, which isn't the usual for these gut buster type places. I had catfish and I think it was really catfish. Betty had her always favorite CFS (chicken fried steak) and said it was great. By the time the waiters come around giving away food, what they call pass arounds I think, you can have 2 or 3 meals served to you, with at least a meal to take with you. I got a cinnamon roll to go and it is monster. It'll take 2 sittings to eat that big thing.
Dang I left Springfield Illinois with flies and brought them with me to Sikeston, see If I can drop them off at Little Rock.
Yes we shower regularly. LOL
And..still lovin the new disc brakes, and the tire monitor is working great.
I'm lovin them too! Only got about 500 on them now but what a joy. We got here and as I was parking I said how I really liked the disc brakes. DW said, "really, I couldn't tell any difference".....pause, drop head and look at her over the glasses...."that's because you don't sit in this seat and operate the pedals"...... Well, that was 6 days ago and she finally spoke to me and said, "was that a heart attack or just indigestion you had a few days back?"
Old 08-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm lovin them too! Only got about 500 on them now but what a joy. We got here and as I was parking I said how I really liked the disc brakes. DW said, "really, I couldn't tell any difference".....pause, drop head and look at her over the glasses...."that's because you don't sit in this seat and operate the pedals"...... Well, that was 6 days ago and she finally spoke to me and said, "was that a heart attack or just indigestion you had a few days back?"
When DW and I were young, way back when, and just engaged she drove a '72 Chevelle that I bought her and I drove a '72 Grand Torino. I bought a new stereo system (with built in 8 track!) for both cars. Spent a bunch of money and she couldn't tell the difference from the OE AM radio. That Christmas I bought her a new ring, diamonds naturally. You'd of thought I was the greatest guy ever.

So every since, major events she gets more bling and I get a new gun. She has a MR T starter set and I need to buy another gun safe. This has worked well for 42 years now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When DW and I were young, way back when, and just engaged she drove a '72 Chevelle that I bought her and I drove a '72 Grand Torino. I bought a new stereo system (with built in 8 track!) for both cars. Spent a bunch of money and she couldn't tell the difference from the OE AM radio. That Christmas I bought her a new ring, diamonds naturally. You'd of thought I was the greatest guy ever.

So every since, major events she gets more bling and I get a new gun. She has a MR T starter set and I need to buy another gun safe. This has worked well for 42 years now.

LOL. DW has no interest in bling but she loves crafts. She was always one that never cared about getting things as I bought countless rifles, trucks, jeeps, pistols etc. etc. She started making wood items for folks but wanted something a little better than a jigsaw and circular saw....so I bought her a Shopsmith Mark V and she was ecstatic. She loved(s) woodworking and now we have branched into SO many other "crafty" things.

She's been with me a LONG time and never asked for squat while I kept accumulating all kinds of "stuff". At about 35 years I made up my mind that I don't question what she wants, I get it if she wants it. I've got so much stuff now that I don't use, and never will, it will just "go somewhere" when I kick the bucket. I would much prefer to get whatever she wants, whatever it is, as we can afford it because the smile on her face means the world to me these days.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
gearhead

A Mr. T starter set...oh what memories...a co-worker gave another co-worker a Mr. T starter set. A 1" 150# blind pipe flange. Painted metal flake gold. Attached to an appropriate length of light duty chain. Presented with all due ceremony during lunch time in the machine shop. I don't remember the cause of the celebration but we all had fun with it.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #11
gearhead

I have a difficult time with jewelry... Betty's Dad owned a small one man jewelry shop.
She still has a few "pieces" that are eye popping. No way I would go pay retail for such. I'm not sure if she even knows what she has in the gun safe and she never remembers the combo!!
I do have a few slots that are open in the safe. But like many others, some haven't been shot in ages. That 375 H&H sure needs some shooting.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I have a difficult time with jewelry... Betty's Dad owned a small one man jewelry shop.
She still has a few "pieces" that are eye popping. No way I would go pay retail for such. I'm not sure if she even knows what she has in the gun safe and she never remembers the combo!!
I do have a few slots that are open in the safe. But like many others, some haven't been shot in ages. That 375 H&H sure needs some shooting.
My DW is all about rings. She's not into a lot of other jewelry but when the sun is out her hand will blind you. I keep telling her that she's running out of fingers. One of favorite pieces is my 357 Ruger. That thing has had a couple of thousand rounds thru it and it's just as accurate as the day I bought it. The Kimber 1911 usually accompanies it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
gearhead

Apparently anything Kimber produces is top of the line. My son worked at Gander Mountain gun dept through college and grabbed a Kimber 1911. Son in law inherited one. Both will make you a better shooter. I have 2 Colt Commanders that are overdue for range time. One aluminum and off the books and the new stainless that they will come knocking on the door for.
The last few years what I buy, it's been more like "what do you want to inherit?"
Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
gearhead

Little Rock fly report: 3 stuck on the flypaper, 2 possible on the run (fly).
Ate leftovers from Lamberts. Still more in the fridge.
99F.
Randolph Scott night on Grit TV.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #15
rocket88

Permethrin I have found will keep all flying pest away. Spray it on the ground around your rig. You can spray it on your clothing and pets but I don't. It doesn't take much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ANQVYU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get it in a concentrate and save a few bucks. I have had my bottle for several years so haven't bothered with the concentrate.
rocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #16
firestation12

Flies and guns

Each week a few of us firefighter retirees meet at a local QT (Quick Trip fuel station) for a soda and donut “board meeting”. Last year, Craig presented each of us a bug-a-salt gun. It’s a point and shoot gun that uses 2 tablespoons of table salt as ammo, to create a hundred or so scatter gun like shots at close range. Next day Ty said he was having so much fun, he was ordering a truckload of manure. I take my bug-a-salt camping and at home it’s on my grill. No need to wait for flies to land on a sticky trap, justice can be administered immediately. $44 on Amazon and it’s available in camo. I drilled and installed a small screw into the safety after missing several prime kills. Secret to quick kills is aim a little low so the salt spray ricochets into the fly, then watch the pest thrown several feet backwards. It’s the one gun you won’t lock in a safe and will keep your aim from getting rusty.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #17
B-O-B'03

My best friend invested in the company that makes the Bug-A-Salt gun and they sent him 2 of them.

He gave one of them to me, several years ago and I have given them out as birthday gifts.

I love mine and a buddy has a laser sight on his

It goes in the trailer as one of the first items packed.

-Brian
Old 09-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #18
roadglide

I have the bug a salt that keeps me entertained . I wished I could find the optional laser sight.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #19
German Shepherd Guy

I just saw the laser sights advertised on amazon.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote