Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
Prolab

Gmc 1500 atc

Hi,

New to travel trailers and was initially looking to tow with a Ford Explorer but will be pushing the limits. Looking to change my TV to a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4. Anyone have any thoughts? Looking to get a TT with a max total weight around 7.5k.

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips.
Prolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Trailer weight is important, more important on the 1/2 ton size TVs is the payload rating. Before you buy any truck to pull a trailer, check out the payload rating of THAT truck not of the line of trucks. Each will have a payload sticker on or near the driver door on the body. That is somewhat special to THAT vehicle. It's yellow, what ever you have now likely has one, go check and you will see what it is.
So, you want a loaded trailer and loaded tow vehicle to be under that payload max. The big problem with RVs is they list empty weights not loaded weights. Also look at the Max. weight THAT truck can pull. Than start looking at trailers that are under those numbers again when the truck and trailer are loaded.
You certainly can pick out a RV first, I will bet if you do you will be like most newbies and get a trailer that any 1/2 ton pickup will be outmatched. Also newbies are real likely to find out after a trip or two they want bigger and if you just paid for a truck max'ed out the weight ratings, than you need to step up into a bigger class truck.
It's all your money and that maybe not a problem. Just trying to be real and what many walls some face getting into RVing. With the right RV and truck set up properly getting to the camp ground is enjoyable.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

First, don't buy an Explorer to tow an RV.....of any kind, it's not what they are, or ever were, meant for.

As far as the truck you mentioned, find one and look at the sticker mentioned. Every truck will have a different weight listed there depending on the type of truck and the equipment on it. The AT4 is a more upscale model so that will probably be reflected in a lower payload due to all the gizmos and doo dads.

A 7500lb. gvw trailer at 13% tongue weight will be 975 lbs. on the truck before you even look at anything else so you can start there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
markcee

To elaborate further, that payload figure is what you will likely exceed first on a 1/2 ton truck. You can get a rough estimate of how much payload you need by adding up the following weights:

*Trailer tongue weight (rule of thumb for this is 13% of trailer GVWR). As mentioned, that's 975 lbs in your example trailer

*The weight of you and any other persons that will be in the tow vehicle.

*The combined weight of any gear you will be placing in the tow vehicle when camping (firewood, cooler, toolbox etc.)

*100 lbs for a good weight distributing hitch (WDH)

Add this all up. Again, the goal is not to exceed your truck's payload.

Note: This sticker payload value mentioned is calculated when your individual truck rolled off the assembly line. It is simply it's curb weight (allowing for a full tank of fuel) subtracted from its given GVWR (found on a second sticker on the door jamb)

For example if a particular truck's GVWR is 7000 lbs. and it's curb weight is 5300, available payload equals 1700.

You have probably figured out that payload is a fluid figure. It is always truck GVWR-Curb Weight. If you already have the truck, nothing is more accurate than loading it up fully for camping (all persons and gear) and hitting up a CAT scale. You can then subtract this weight from the GVWR to see exactly what you have left to support tongue weight + 100 lbs for the hitch.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Prolab

Thank you everyone for the advice. My max payload is at 1607 lbs. will have to make some changes in my trailer shopping list. Max conventional towing at 8800 lbs. GCWR at 15k lbs. I am looking for double bunks and a queen bed (2 kids 6yo and 8yo) preferably double axle and wanting to keep under 24 feet in length. Any suggestions for a TT? I was looking at 2021 Keystone RV Bullet 211BHSWE as dealer site stated 21 footer but it looks like it is actually 25’.
Prolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Headed to bed so can't research but keep in mind those total lengths you read about include the tongue A frame up front adding 3-4'. The model you are looking at, a 211, is probably 21' long for the box so keep that in mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:16 AM   #7
Campermike

I would consider the 239ml. 219bh, and 240bh. 240bh would have a higher tongue weight though and might be pushing it on payload. If you can look at older ones the 2300bh like we have meets the requirements you have and although the gvwr is 6800 dry weight is only 4500. No one will load it with 2300lbs of stuff. I have weighed outs loaded and it was around 5300lbs.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Max towing! That is right out of a television commercial and is not part of the real world. The Chevy brochure will add to the "max towing" claim a disclaimer that says in a truck configured a certain way. NOT the truck you will buy. They also do the towing tests using a flat bed with weights positioned to allow for the best towing and certainly don't tow and RV which is a big wind sail. Stick to focus on the payload, as mentioned and the longer the trailer, the more a 1/2 ton will struggle as the wheel base on a half ton is pretty short.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
travelin texans

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campermike View Post
I would consider the 239ml. 219bh, and 240bh. 240bh would have a higher tongue weight though and might be pushing it on payload. If you can look at older ones the 2300bh like we have meets the requirements you have and although the gvwr is 6800 dry weight is only 4500. No one will load it with 2300lbs of stuff. I have weighed outs loaded and it was around 5300lbs.
I would venture to bet a family of 4 WILL most likely have any rv they chose loaded to the max within the 1st half dozen trips. STUFF tends to get loaded due "that would be handy" or "might could use this" & never gets taken back out again. Anyone stating "we will always travel light" are only fooling themselves. So ALWAYS do your calculations from the GVWR of the particular rv, it'll be there before you know it, regardless of how much it may be.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
Campermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I would venture to bet a family of 4 WILL most likely have any rv they chose loaded to the max within the 1st half dozen trips. STUFF tends to get loaded due "that would be handy" or "might could use this" & never gets taken back out again. Anyone stating "we will always travel light" are only fooling themselves. So ALWAYS do your calculations from the GVWR of the particular rv, it'll be there before you know it, regardless of how much it may be.
Normally I would agree with you. BUT most trailers have cargo capacity of 1400lbs or so not 2400! I HAVE a family of 4 and fill my trailer with all sorts of crap. It ends up around 1000lbs of stuff. The 2300BH I have has a CRAZY cargo capacity vs any other trailer I've seen. 240BH may or may not be the same and the OP or anyone considering it should look into it... It is normally best to base calculations on GVWR but there is always that one exception to the rule...

Just for example on the trailers I suggested...

Passport 239ML:
dry weight: 4189 lbs
GVWR: 5400 lbs
Cargo cap: 1211 lbs

Passport 240BH:
Dry weight: 4911 lbs
GVWR: 7000 lbs
Cargo cap: 2089 lbs

They are (essentially) the same size "box". Would anyone really cram 2100lbs into a 24' trailer? I doubt it! More likely they'd get to 6200lbs or so loaded up. which would still be a large TW... 900-950lbs... but less than the 1050lbs if it was GVWR.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campermike View Post
Normally I would agree with you. BUT most trailers have cargo capacity of 1400lbs or so not 2400! I HAVE a family of 4 and fill my trailer with all sorts of crap. It ends up around 1000lbs of stuff. The 2300BH I have has a CRAZY cargo capacity vs any other trailer I've seen. 240BH may or may not be the same and the OP or anyone considering it should look into it... It is normally best to base calculations on GVWR but there is always that one exception to the rule...
Mike you are 100 percent correct; problem is, most of the time folks are contemplating purchase and to be on the safe side should use gross weight in their calculations. Once they get their rig and take it over the scales they will be pleasantly surprised to find they are towing within their payload limit rather than the majority who didn't pay attention to payload and find they are overloaded after the trip to the scales. You will then hear, air bags, salesman said, brochure said, etc etc as they float down the Nile (denial) and wish they were not upside down to the bank with the note on their 2000 lb payload 3/4 ton.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote