Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
Crischan

RV Friendly Gas Stations?

Hello all,

I have been driving a diesel for a number of years and have been looking at new trucks. I really like the Ford 7.3 Gas engine offered and would do great for my RVing needs. My only concern is how friendly are stations for Gas while traveling cross country?

I know that diesel options at truck stops are awesome and have been very nice.

I was wondering what do the Gas TV do? Go through the normal pumps? Do they have RV pump lanes for Gas?

Just curious if anyone has any comments.

Chris

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 Diesel
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Crischan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I drive a gas truck. IMO unless you are driving on interstates the problem with hitting a station that a large RV can get thru can be an issue for either gas or diesel in smaller towns. Some stations only have diesel on select pumps and you don't know which one that is when pulling in blind off the highway so in that respect there's not much difference to me.

As far as getting fuel, yes, it can pose a bit of a problem at times depending on where you are traveling. I've learned to start looking for fuel while I still have plenty to "get to the next town" in the event there is nothing right off the bat. Some places are easy and set up for longer rigs, some places aren't and you have to look for end pumps that you can pull into and either a drive around building or an exit to a side street. In a pinch I will pull in and then back up enough to navigate. DW has learned what I want in a station and assists in locating them if I'm in traffic.

IMO you'll do fine with a gas TV, just might have to re-learn what to look for and when but no big deal. On the interstates a diesel has the edge because truck stops will be catering to the bigger rigs and have dedicated diesel pumps.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
markcee

Recently got back from our second cross country trip towing a 33' TT with a thirsty gas truck. We pretty much stick to interstate travel so hit up Flying J's/Pilots and Love's as they are typically the roomiest. Travel America stops are also quite spacious. Worst case scenario I've encountered is having to hang out at times and wait for an end spot, which I prefer.

Several Flying J's along the interstate routes also offer 'RV lanes' that are easy in and easy out. You can use app to filter for these.

Bottom line is if doing most of your travel by interstate you usually have plenty of options. Veering off the interstates will be a bit more of a crap shoot. I know I've read a lot of people will Google Earth the potential stop to look for potential ingress/egress problems.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Crischan

Yeah, been spoiled with the truck lanes and diesel...just not wanting to add that upcharge for the engine, and then DEF, plus the higher rates at the pump...

Chris

2021 Bullet 290BHS
Old 08-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
Crischan

Thanks for the comments

Chris

2021 Bullet 290BHS
Old 08-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Most "off the interstate gas stations" that I've run across, if they have gas and diesel (you can tell by the red and green numbers on the price sign) have diesel and gas on the OUTSIDE pump islands. As long as you can get under the canopy and there's room to maneuver as you're leaving the pump, there's enough clearance to get to the gas pump on that same outside island....

Just survey the "lay of the land" before you commit to a specific island. Make sure there's a way to get away from it as well as a way to get to it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most "off the interstate gas stations" that I've run across, if they have gas and diesel (you can tell by the red and green numbers on the price sign) have diesel and gas on the OUTSIDE pump islands. As long as you can get under the canopy and there's room to maneuver as you're leaving the pump, there's enough clearance to get to the gas pump on that same outside island....

Just survey the "lay of the land" before you commit to a specific island. Make sure there's a way to get away from it as well as a way to get to it.....
There will always be some kind soul who parked in front of the only diesel pump with his little Kia so he can go in and buy beer, lotto tickets and use the bathroom I sit in the sun waiting for him to move his Kia. He will come out and fiddle for at least 10 minutes before clearing the lane with the diesel pump. At most service stations out where I live there will only one but perhaps two lanes with the diesel spigot and one will have a plastic bag over it. The main issue the OP will face is getting turned into a gas lane without rubbing the side of his camper against the big cemented in steel posts as many gas stations don't allow for a lot of turning radius.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
Javi

Google Earth and Gas Buddy are your friends.. Plan your route and then look up stations along the way that allow you to buy fuel with a 1/4 tank left... then use Google Earth to check the station for clearance and maneuvering room.. At least that's what I did for years traveling the back roads... Now I carry a 100 gallons of fuel and it's much easier..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
rhagfo

Well don’t always need to fuel while towing, but in all the times I have had to fuel while towing I never had an issue getting to a diesel pump at a standard gas station. Fuel stations need to have have fuel deliveries and the trucks that do those are as big if not bigger than yours. My biggest concern is older stations with low overhead.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
dutchmensport

I have a diesel truck, but I do not use Truck Stops. I hate them. (for many reasons). I use only gas stations that advertise "diesel" and choose carefully. Usually, along interstates there are no problems. And the same is true with gasoline pumps. When in town, or a congested area, I usually avoid fuel fill-ups unless it truly is an easy-in, easy-out situation.

I say this, because, if I have no issues, or very little issues at fuel stations for diesel that are not truck stops, gasoline would be a no-problem at all situation.

I also rely heavily on Gas Buddy (app on my phone) and keep it set on "Diesel". Gas Buddy is a great app and will help you a lot.

And fyi,.... my fifth wheel is 41 feet long. With truck-in-tow, I'm right at a total of 60 feet long. And that's a lot of "length" to fish around at gas stations. I choose them carefully! And yes, I've passed many up. Also, I always start looking for fuel stations at half-empty. I never "start" looking when on empty. By then, it's too late.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I have a diesel truck, but I do not use Truck Stops. I hate them. (for many reasons). I use only gas stations that advertise "diesel" and choose carefully. Usually, along interstates there are no problems. And the same is true with gasoline pumps. When in town, or a congested area, I usually avoid fuel fill-ups unless it truly is an easy-in, easy-out situation.

I say this, because, if I have no issues, or very little issues at fuel stations for diesel that are not truck stops, gasoline would be a no-problem at all situation.

I also rely heavily on Gas Buddy (app on my phone) and keep it set on "Diesel". Gas Buddy is a great app and will help you a lot.

And fyi,.... my fifth wheel is 41 feet long. With truck-in-tow, I'm right at a total of 60 feet long. And that's a lot of "length" to fish around at gas stations. I choose them carefully! And yes, I've passed many up. Also, I always start looking for fuel stations at half-empty. I never "start" looking when on empty. By then, it's too late.

Yep, passed on a zillion because you can't navigate in or around them. Choosing carefully reminded me of a situation OP (or anyone) needs to keep in mind - how you're getting out.

Pulled into one once where I saw the way in/out. On the out all I could see was the opening for the drive out and could not see the drive out - note to self....not so good. When I went to leave that opening for the driveway had a very steep drop down to the highway. I was committed and didn't think it would hit the bumper on the back....it didn't and thought all was OK - except the bottom of the spare tire hung on the angled drive pulling the bottom of the spare almost horizontal on the back. Repaired spare metal bracket in Gulfport MS and all was "fun in the sun" then.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crischan View Post
My only concern is how friendly are stations for Gas while traveling cross country?

I know that diesel options at truck stops are awesome and have been very nice.

I was wondering what do the Gas TV do? Go through the normal pumps? Do they have RV pump lanes for Gas?

Just curious if anyone has any comments.
Many Pilot / Flying J stations have reserved "RV friendly" gas lanes. Their app will tell you which of their stations in your route are "RV Friendly." If you are a Good Sam member (might have to be Lifetime, I forget) you get 5¢/gal off all purchases there.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
Laredo Tugger

When I had a gasser with a TT and a 6.2L Ford I always planned each stop using Google Maps. I had it down to which pump I needed to pull up to. Now I have a diesel and absolutely have no problem using the truck stops.
I did have one experience early in the learning curve with the gasser where I had had to "draft" off a big rig rig for a while to get to the next town somewhere in Texas (damm that place is big). When I got to a pump finally my mileage gauge showed 3 miles left. Believe me I learned my lesson.
Just plan ahead and go slow around the pumps. And yes, as George said be prepared for some self serving millennial to be parked in front of the (outside island) pump you need. Sometimes I wish I drove that truck used in the old TV series Simon and Simon, the front bumper on that thing was a "just push it out of the way" son of a gun.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
And yes, as George said be prepared for some self serving millennial to be parked in front of the (outside island) pump you need.
Most annoying experience we've had was in a rural VA convenience store. Only one pair of pumps. Guy enters in front of us, parks at the rear (not front) pump, gets out, goes in, stays long time, comes out with hot food, drives away... never even used the pump!
Old 08-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Most annoying experience we've had was in a rural VA convenience store. Only one pair of pumps. Guy enters in front of us, parks at the rear (not front) pump, gets out, goes in, stays long time, comes out with hot food, drives away... never even used the pump!

There are getting to be more and more of those inconsiderate yo yos thinking the pump lanes are parking lanes because they don't want to walk that extra 20' if they used a parking space due to pure laziness. I try my best to step out and express my thoughts.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #16
Kuimonster

Never hurts to carry a full or empty 5 gallon jug in the bed. Could save you butt.

Also I saw s&b makes a 62gallon fuel cell for my truck I’m looking at.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
inconsiderate yo yos thinking the pump lanes are parking lanes because they don't want to walk that extra 20' if they used a parking space due to pure laziness.
The actual parking spaces were right by the front door.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:45 AM   #18
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The actual parking spaces were right by the front door.
Yes they are, but they are not shaded.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:42 AM   #19
Javi

You want to see a circus with cars and pickups parked at the pumps just go to any Buc-ee's they go in and spend an hour...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:07 AM   #20
behrmr

Along the same lines is there some standard in height of the roofs / overhangs at gas stations? I've been to some where it's marked and others not.
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas