Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Attaching a Hitch to a Bullet

From what i have picked up it is a bad ideas to attach a trailer hitch to the weak bumpers on our travel trailers.

I have a Bullet 278RLS and was wondering if it is possible to have someone weld a hitch to it to pull a jet ski?

Any suggestions, experience, and who to contact (welder directly) regarding this would be appreciated....also has anyone here done this already? I really don't want to drive two vehicles and based on the 800-1000 pound weight of the jet ski am hoping it is possible. Thanks guys!
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It is possible to attach a hitch to the back of your trailer, BUT: if you modify the frame in any way, the Keystone warranty is void. I'd think that if you weld a hitch, it might cause problems with the frame, maybe the suspension, but if you "void" your warranty and then have a problem with the referigerator, then Keystone is within their rights to not repair your problem. That said, if you are looking for a hitch, Curt has a 72"adjustable bolt on hitch that will fit, BUT: I'm not real sure that the way Lippert welds an extension to the end of the frame and then welds the 4" bumper onto it, that it will be strong enough to carry the weight of a trailer of any size.

I'd suggest that if your trailer is in warranty, you wait until the warranty is expired. Then, look in the yellow pages for machine/fabrication shops or ask most any reputable auto body shop for a referral in your area.

If you are in Michigan, you can not tow with a hitch attached to the bumper and your safety chains must extend outward not next to the receiver, so look carefully at laws in your state before you just "bolt on a hitch and go"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

NOTE: After posting the above, I realized that the Bullet 278 is a travel trailer, not a fifth wheel. I am not certain of any state where you can tow a second trailer behind a travel trailer. I would advise the OP to check very carefully before he even considers towing anything behind his travel trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
From what i have picked up it is a bad ideas to attach a trailer hitch to the weak bumpers on our travel trailers.

I have a Bullet 278RLS and was wondering if it is possible to have someone weld a hitch to it to pull a jet ski?

Any suggestions, experience, and who to contact (welder directly) regarding this would be appreciated....also has anyone here done this already? I really don't want to drive two vehicles and based on the 800-1000 pound weight of the jet ski am hoping it is possible. Thanks guys!
A good welder or spring and frame shop can reinforce the frame and bumper to hold a hitch. But are you sure you want to tow a double trailer and is it even legal in your area. Two light weight and short trailers can be very unstable. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
haffcke

trailer towing trailer

what about a 2 point hitch trailer with 1 or better yet 2 swivel type wheels, then you just have an extension of the trailer, don't know
the laws about towing a trailer of this type behind a travel trailer in this configuration but should tow quite safe. feed back anyone. Phil
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote