Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
tap3230

Damage to truck towing 5th w

This is my first 5th wheel, I had no idea that I didn't have as much turning radius with this set up. I have a short bed truck and when I turned in the culdesac I bent my truck ( next to the window) there is just a few hairline cracks on the trailer. I read about the slider hitch on this site - of course too late The dealer talked to me about this B and D hitch that installs under the bed. I'm worried about denting this again - will things get better to do I have the wrong hitch for this type of truck bed?
tap3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Hunter757

Sorry to hear you damaged you truck and 5er. I would install a slider hitch prior to your next adventure out with the 5er. You will find that there are many hitch's to choose from it will depend on if you want an automatic or manual slide and how much money you would like to spend. Hope it wont cost a ton of money to fix.

Good luck and Happy camping.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap3230 View Post
This is my first 5th wheel, I had no idea that I didn't have as much turning radius with this set up. I have a short bed truck and when I turned in the culdesac I bent my truck ( next to the window) there is just a few hairline cracks on the trailer. I read about the slider hitch on this site - of course too late The dealer talked to me about this B and D hitch that installs under the bed. I'm worried about denting this again - will things get better to do I have the wrong hitch for this type of truck bed?
Presuming that you live on the cul de sac or use it regularly, I think you'll want to evaluate very closely whether to stick with the hitch you have or spring for the slider.

I don't understand what you mean about "this B and D hitch that installs under the bed." Most fifth wheel hitches use rails that are installed on the floor of the pickup bed but actually are connected directly to the frame for sturdiness and strength. All kinds of fifth wheel hitches will then drop into these standard rails including many sliders.

These are standard rails. Reese, DrawTite, and many other fifth wheel hitches will drop right into it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

is that snow and ice in the bed, i aint ready for this..........
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I think B&D makes a hitch that mounts through 4 holes in the bed. The pins are under the bed, eliminating the rails and pins in the bed. I believe that's the system installed at the factory in the new Ford SuperDuty trucks. There's been some talk about how "great they are" but I'd not really want to crawl around under a truck in bad weather to install a hitch. However, once the hitch is removed from the bed, it would be great not to have the rails sitting there.

As for sliding hitches in 5'6" beds. I've heard lately that more and more people are towing with those extremely short beds. Most manufacturers urge at least a 6' bed for fifth wheel towing. There are some people successfully towing with slider hitches and the short bed. One problem I've heard in discussion is that the back of the pin box on the trailer can hit the tailgate or the sides of the bed in some maneuvers when the hitch is in the back position. I don't have a sliding hitch, so I can't speak to that issue, but I'd be very cautious about watching the tail gate when the hitch is in the aft position. And, as always, if the tailgate is down, you risk damage to the trailer in turns.

Just food for thought...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
Handysam

To answer your question, it will get better, and easier. The slider is the way to go. Once you get used to the threshold of your max. turning radius without damage, you won't have to use your slider. I got a slider with our fifth wheel last year, and I worried like hell that I would do just what you did only worse, like blowing out the back window and denting both the truck and camper. I found myself just taking more time backing in and pulling forward and backing up when I felt I reached my turning limits. I only used the slider once, only because I felt like I was in a situation I needed to. Now for the most part I don't need the slider but its there in case I do. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
X-Treme

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch with the 5th wheel companion setup. That's what I have and LOVE it, but it is NOT a slider, and you will still be stuck with the possibility of cab contact under the right (or wrong in this case) circumstances.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
2011 keystone

I wonder if they was talking about a b&W companion hitch. Witch is a goose neck hitch that also has a 5th wheel adapter.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
I'm pretty sure you are talking about the B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch with the 5th wheel companion setup. That's what I have and LOVE it, but it is NOT a slider, and you will still be stuck with the possibility of cab contact under the right (or wrong in this case) circumstances.
I must have been hunting and pecking when you posted your reply
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
tap3230

Yes you are correct, this is the one they sold me saying that it would be good becasue I would not have rails in my truck, I had no idea there was another hitch ( slider) that would work in a short bed. I'll take responsibility for going with this but I sure wish I would have know that there was a solution like a slider out there. I already paid for this hitch so I guess I'll just be more careful
Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
Outbackmel

Slider Hitch

Like others who have responded; I have a 2011 Outback and minimal clearance on jack knife backing. (Dodge 2500 quad cab). I have towed 3x for a total of 3,000 miles. Been in several "tight" spots and used the slider twice, just to provide parking comfort. HOWEVER, I changed out my tail gate for towing. On my first trip, I thought moving the RV back in the manuver position was no issue of clearance with the tail gate "up". WRONG. I got in a position when the rear wheel on one side of the RV went into a softer grass, immediately causing the turned fifth wheel to damage the top of the tail gate. Not happy. Repaired. Live and learn. No matter what you decide, really being diligent parking; backing, etc pays off. I also learned that well intentioned people yelling directions to you should be avoided at all costs unless the word they yell is "STOP". NO MATTER WHO IS IN A HURRY AROUND YOU, TAKE YOUR TIME, PERIOD. EVERYONE THINKS THEY COULD DO IT BETTER AND FASTER. It's your investment and potential liability.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Ron

Hi Tap3230, Sorry about your boo boo but don't feel bad, my wife use to have a short box pu and did the same thing with a goose neck stock trailer, and she knocked the back window out, oh well she wanted a slide window anyway Getting the right hitch will make your travels much better, Happy Campin.................Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

OK, If not B&D (or B&W) who makes the "rail-less system" hitch that is in new Superduty Fords? And, is it available with a slide option? If not, what is Ford doing with their short bed trucks and fifth wheel hitches?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
OK, If not B&D (or B&W) who makes the "rail-less system" hitch that is in new Superduty Fords? And, is it available with a slide option? If not, what is Ford doing with their short bed trucks and fifth wheel hitches?
The B&W is the one that the Ford's box is made for, but it doesn't come with it. And, as said before, NO slider option.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
The B&W is the one that the Ford's box is made for, but it doesn't come with it. And, as said before, NO slider option.
Ahhh. Just went to the Ford Accessory website. Found these two "restrictions" on the Ford installed hitch/gooseneck accessory.

•NOTE: This kit is only for use with the production option 5th-Wheel and Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package.
•Other restrictions: only compatible with 8-ft. beds cannot be used with drop-in bedliners or bed mats.

However, when working up an order on the "Build your Ford" part of the website, you can order the hitch kit installation package on the short bed, but then, when going to the Accessory pages, to add the actual hitch, Ford restricts using it or the gooseneck adapter in the short box ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #16
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ahhh. Just went to the Ford Accessory website. Found these two "restrictions" on the Ford installed hitch/gooseneck accessory.

•NOTE: This kit is only for use with the production option 5th-Wheel and Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package.
Other restrictions: only compatible with 8-ft. beds cannot be used with drop-in bedliners or bed mats.
If that was my rig, I'd be marching back to the RV dealer who sold me the hitch system and telling him to replace it with a standard Reese with slider at his expense! Selling a customer something that is specifically not supposed to be used in that situation is just plain wrong, let alone possibly open to civil action.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #17
antiqfreq

We have a 15K Pullrite Super Glide hitch.

Never a problem with our Ford short bed and we have been towing it over 4 years now, allover the country. All kinds of situations.

It is expensive but to us well worth the money we spent on it.

We installed it ourselves.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
Johnnyfry

Hitch interference

I also have a short bed. (Dodge Mega cab) When I went looking for a hitch I looked at several including Pullrite and manual sliders.

In the end I decided on the Reese Sidewinder and have not regretted my choice. Every time I am in a tight turn I look back and am amazed at how well it works. While not cheap, it probably costs less than a single bashed cab incident.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
mhs4771

Sounds like Ford is covering their backside not allowing it to be factory installed, but nothing to stop someone from ordering parts and installing after the fact. Sorry for your problems, I second the idea of going back to the dealer that installed the hitch and demanding he fix the problem with the correct hitch.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
tap3230

This forum is really cool! Sounds like I just need to be careful and as Outbackme says, take my time when I dented my truck I was listening to sombody guide me which made me feel like I need to hurry up. I really had enough clearance I just needed to take my time with it. Thanks