Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

First Trip w/new Ram 3500 6.4L

Thought I would post my assessment of the first trip with the new 3500 pulling the new trailer. Figured I would make a post about the TV and another about the RV itself.

As far as the Ram; 2019 3500, 5k miles now, 6.4L, 4x4, SWB/CC, 4.10, 8 speed Laramie.

This truck replaced a 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn, 6.4L, 3.73, SWB/CC, 6 speed.

The trailer behind the 2014 had a gvw of 10k and scaled 92-9300 generally. The 14 pulled it well but the 6 speed does limit things along with the 3.73. All in all I was very happy with it. Knew we wanted a new trailer, we both said we never wanted a 5th wheel, and the new trailer had to have a gvw of no more than 12k or so. Well we missed that mark after DW determined she HAD to have a washer and dryer.

New trailer has a gvw of 14,500. Unloaded was 11,500. I have not scaled yet but comparing what we had in the last trailer and what we transferred I would estimate a tow weight currently around 13k, maybe a bit less - I'll know when I get back.

When I bought the new 3500 I never dreamed of a 14.5k full profile 5th wheel (I've stated the reason, yet again, above). I did not have enough tow time with the truck to have any idea what the engine/tranny/axle combo could/would do. In fact, much to the dismay of my wife, I told her to expect a new diesel Ram upon arrival here in FL (I tried to make her smile but she just wouldn't since I bought this one the last day of last year). But to my surprise, and her extreme joy, I was pleased with the trip.

Left TX with a 30mph front quartering wind. The truck pulled OK (not great like a diesel but not struggling). What it did do that worried the heck out of me was suck gas at a phenomenal rate. I had to work to stay above 7mpg avg. Told DW with such a small tank we might have to stop at every town we passed and add an hour or 2 to our projected ETA. In fact though we managed to stop at every established gas stop (determined over years of making this trip) we had for the entire trip. The wind let up (not gone) after the first day and towing was actually fun and worries gone.

The 8 speed and 4.10 make a remarkable combo for the gas option. Pulling much more weight it actually strained much less. It was always able to find a hole that kept the rpm's contained and steady. Sustaining speed up and down the hills of E TX and beyond it just strummed along; again, not like a diesel but nothing like I feared - in fact a huge relief and wonderful, pleasant surprise. After the first day wind subsided (some) I averaged between 8-9 mpg; about the same as the 3/4 did with the smaller trailer. 3500 rpm was the highest I hit and that was on the longest, sustained grade (or 3) we hit. I hit 3500 several times with the other combo.

I waited for this combo, looked all over the place to find one before buying it in FL and I can truthfully say that it was worth the wait. I figure I'm running 13k or so but have no problem thinking of running that up to 14k if required (but won't - I can't imagine what I'd be throwing in).

The 1 ton vs 3/4 ton I'm not sure what you gain other than the higher payload on the sticker. As far as squat, it does squat with the pin weight. Not terribly nor much more than the 3/4 did with the bumper pull (about 1500 less than the pin estimate on the 1 ton). I do like all the goo gahs (I think) of the Laramie package but dislike the 12 inch screen for all the info. Great for seeing the nav but all the controls are lost and almost illegible. DW has to find the right buttons and activate them because it takes too much time and diversion of attention to try to find them.

All in all I'm very happy; happy with the way it pulled; happy DW is happy with me; and happy to not have to spend another 80k plus to get a diesel to pull her washer and dryer....whoops! said it again...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Snoking

Image driving solo and finding the right place to push on the 12" screen! Study up on voice commands. There is a lot of things that you can do with voice commands.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Yeah, I know about voice commands. I own lots of "sophisticated" equipment that would let me run "automated" on most everything....but, I have zero patience to mess with them. Lots of time but no patience. I'd just soon leave the thing off as try to spend 2 hours learning how to use the voice commands; than that changes; I buy a new vehicle; the device doesn't understand the phrase so "I" must learn "it's" vernacular....naw. I'll leave that for the kids and leave a big black 12" hole in the dash....except for my Sirius/XM!!
Old 05-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yeah, I know about voice commands. I own lots of "sophisticated" equipment that would let me run "automated" on most everything....but, I have zero patience to mess with them. Lots of time but no patience. I'd just soon leave the thing off as try to spend 2 hours learning how to use the voice commands; than that changes; I buy a new vehicle; the device doesn't understand the phrase so "I" must learn "it's" vernacular....naw. I'll leave that for the kids and leave a big black 12" hole in the dash....except for my Sirius/XM!!
Danny, we only have the 8.5” in the 2016, I find that the more you use it the more you learn where things are. I love the Bluetooth for pone hands free, also the voice to text and text to audio. This allows you to send a text and receive one without distraction.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Russ, I was being a little tongue in cheek about using the voice commands. I'm not going to take anything out and I really should take the time to "learn" how to use it more than I do. I do use the Bluetooth and also the texting part. There is just so much more I will just have to get used to it over time, although I don't know when that will be . I've had the 8.4 Uconnect since 2012 I believe. The first one came with an entire book all its own about 1/2" thick trying to walk you through everything. Only read portions of it when I hit a snag. Really should sit down and spend some time with it because trying to find the right button among the zillion buttons and icons while driving 75 or pulling a trailer is not a good thing.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Russ, I was being a little tongue in cheek about using the voice commands. I'm not going to take anything out and I really should take the time to "learn" how to use it more than I do. I do use the Bluetooth and also the texting part. There is just so much more I will just have to get used to it over time, although I don't know when that will be . I've had the 8.4 Uconnect since 2012 I believe. The first one came with an entire book all its own about 1/2" thick trying to walk you through everything. Only read portions of it when I hit a snag. Really should sit down and spend some time with it because trying to find the right button among the zillion buttons and icons while driving 75 or pulling a trailer is not a good thing.
Danny, you just need a 10 year old (at the oldest) to ride shotgun and operate that "laptop in the dash"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd guess that all three of the truck manufacturers use a 'somewhat similar' type of voice recognition system. In my Ford (an antiquated system by today's standards) when I'm bored driving, I push the "voice button" and start a conversation with "Miss Information"... <pun intended>…

When I push the button, I hear the "ding" and just say anything that comes to mind. Miss Information apologizes for not recognizing my comment, she gives me some hints on what makes her happy, I play the game, mispronouncing her suggestions, talking back to her, enjoying being able to "finally be myself with a female without getting hurt in the process"....

It's a way to pass some time while on the road without taking my eyes off the driving aspects... And, I learn a little more every time Miss Information gives me hints on what makes her happy.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
ADQ K9

John,
It gets even better when you use expletives in your conversation with "Miss Information"
Danny glad to hear your truck is up to the task and you are satisfied
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
John,
It gets even better when you use expletives in your conversation with "Miss Information"
Danny glad to hear your truck is up to the task and you are satisfied
Oh, when I'm by myself (DW nowhere in earshot) some (maybe most) of the words I use with Miss Information could NEVER be repeated in mixed company... She (Miss Information) is the only woman I've ever "gotten away with the stuff I say to her"... Sort of a "self fulfilling legacy" (at least in my own mind)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
jim1

My first introduction to voice command happened about 10 minutes after I said I do, and apparently I've listened to it very well for the last 31years. [but with the wind chill factor it seems more like 40!]
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

I automated our house with wifi light switches, thermostat, etc. "Alexa" is the interface and she struggles with understanding the word deck. The deck operates the Feit string lights and we use it often when letting the dog out at night. It typically goes like this;
me-"Alexa turn on the deck",
Alexa - Did you mean deck?"
Me (shouting) - "YES YOU STUPID #*!^@$ B@@@@ THAT'S WHY I SAID DECK!"
DW laughs.

I grew up with 2 older sisters. DW and I married and have 2 daughters. I think the DW is amused at me "putting Alexa in her place". When the controversy over Amazon monitoring the Alexa interface my only comment is, God bless the poor soul listening in to ours.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Alright, ya'll convinced me. On my drive into Tally tomorrow (alone) I'm hitting that VR button with the little mouth and waves in front of it so I can "feel better" before I head into a house with 4 women for the day......
Old 05-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
Gegrad

Awesome to hear it performed well Danny. 5,000 miles already! You bought yours after I did, and mine has all of 976 miles on it

Of course, working full time from home during the week and everything else shut down for the weekends has skewed those numbers a good bit, as I have only logged maybe 50 miles the last 2 months now (Couple trips to the hardware store for home project supplies).

That's encouraging to hear it pulled pretty good size rig like yours so well. And that mileage is only like 1 mpg less than I am getting solo so far, so I have hope I will probably do the same thing when I finally get the chance to tow.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Awesome to hear it performed well Danny. 5,000 miles already! You bought yours after I did, and mine has all of 976 miles on it

Of course, working full time from home during the week and everything else shut down for the weekends has skewed those numbers a good bit, as I have only logged maybe 50 miles the last 2 months now (Couple trips to the hardware store for home project supplies).

That's encouraging to hear it pulled pretty good size rig like yours so well. And that mileage is only like 1 mpg less than I am getting solo so far, so I have hope I will probably do the same thing when I finally get the chance to tow.

Matt I don't know the gvw of your trailer or specifics but suspect that they are no more than my 319rls that I traded in. If so, and you have the 8 speed you will be in great shape. That tranny makes a huge difference. If you have the 3.73 ratio you will do great, if you have the 4.10 it will be better when towing but there is just a tiny drop in mpg just loafing around as I'm prone to do with puppy (she loves to ride slowly around the back roads watching "puppies and kitty cats").

Hopefully we can unwind all this going on and you can get out and enjoy that new truck. I think you will find that it is going to be an awesome combo.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
Gegrad

Quote:
Matt I don't know the gvw of your trailer or specifics but suspect that they are no more than my 319rls that I traded in. If so, and you have the 8 speed you will be in great shape. That tranny makes a huge difference. If you have the 3.73 ratio you will do great, if you have the 4.10 it will be better when towing but there is just a tiny drop in mpg just loafing around as I'm prone to do with puppy (she loves to ride slowly around the back roads watching "puppies and kitty cats").

Hopefully we can unwind all this going on and you can get out and enjoy that new truck. I think you will find that it is going to be an awesome combo.
My trailer's GVW is 7700 lbs and I have the 3.73 rear and the 8 speed. The 8 speed tranny they made standard for the '19 model year was actually a major factor in me getting a '19 vs a leftover new '18 that was available or a gently used model. I know it will tow it like a champion, and the fuel economy isn't a concern since I was getting 7-8 towing with my old 1/2 ton Chevy anyway. My comments on your observations were more geared toward a possible small 5er in a few years (I wouldn't want more than 10k GVW anyway).

And yes, we can't wait to take the boys out for the first time this year, hopefully in a few weeks. State Parks are reopening in PA on May 22 I believe.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
My trailer's GVW is 7700 lbs and I have the 3.73 rear and the 8 speed. The 8 speed tranny they made standard for the '19 model year was actually a major factor in me getting a '19 vs a leftover new '18 that was available or a gently used model. I know it will tow it like a champion, and the fuel economy isn't a concern since I was getting 7-8 towing with my old 1/2 ton Chevy anyway. My comments on your observations were more geared toward a possible small 5er in a few years (I wouldn't want more than 10k GVW anyway).

And yes, we can't wait to take the boys out for the first time this year, hopefully in a few weeks. State Parks are reopening in PA on May 22 I believe.

10k gvw with that engine/tranny/axle combo will be a snap. I did the 10k gvw with that combo but a 6 speed with no issues including the Rockies. Get those boys out and have fun!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:11 AM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

Danny is your Ram so tall that it forces the rear of the trailer too low? I'm finding that to be the case with my 2500. I've adjusted the pin box to around 6 inch clearance over the tail gate but still dragging the trailer tail at times. I'm in the process of raising it 2 inches more over the axles. I'm just wondering if this is a problem for others too.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 AM   #18
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Danny is your Ram so tall that it forces the rear of the trailer too low? I'm finding that to be the case with my 2500. I've adjusted the pin box to around 6 inch clearance over the tail gate but still dragging the trailer tail at times. I'm in the process of raising it 2 inches more over the axles. I'm just wondering if this is a problem for others too.

They do not recommend spacer blocks and longer U bolts on trailer axles, if that is what you are planning?

This Correct Track and Moryde X-factor would be a better route. Just be sure to get the X-factor for add on Correct Track.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-87220.../dp/B00JMHF15G
Old 05-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post

I have not dragged the trailer on anything. I have however drug the mud flaps on the back of the pickup since the 5th wheel squats the truck more than the bumper pull did.

I don't go/haven't gone boondocking or into rough terrain with the trailer. I do take it up and over drive ways, entries etc. that have a pretty big dip with no problems. The back of the trailer sits so high off the ground it seems like it would be pretty hard to drag unless it was over some pretty rough stuff. Just measured to the bottom of the receiver on the back and it is 22 1/2" from the ground with the trailer leveled.

I have mine set to about 6" of clearance over the bed rails as well. It rides slightly nose high, but just slightly.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #20
CedarCreekWoody

I'm glad to hear you've had no problems with being too low. I never go off road either but twice the tail has dragged in dips on gas station lots, bending the bracket holding the spare tire on the rear bumper. My rear lift jack is also uncomfortably close to the ground so I am having my dealer raise the trailer. It sounds like my Laredo is built a bit lower than your Montana. I am a bit surprised to hear that your 3500 is squatting that much. My 2500 squats a bit although I'm only 10k fully loaded.
I understand your issues with the voice controls. After my wife got in an argument with the Tom Tom lady (the navigation system) I knew I could never use the features. Lol
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote