Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #41
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Edit 2 - The original Prodigy was 70*, the P2 is a full 360* vertical mounting.

I'll have to check, but I bet mine is steeper than 70*. I wonder if that was 1st generation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #42
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I'll have to check, but I bet mine is steeper than 70*. I wonder if that was 1st generation.
I can't remember if my original was a 1 or a 2, but it was mounted in the same place at the same angle as my current one, and it worked fine...until one day I was on the DOWNSIDE of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and it died. That was fun...NOT. I think I'll take my angle thingy out to the truck and see if I can figure what angle it's really at.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #43
Gapopper

Wow , y'all taught me something about my Tundra. It has a M shift also. I didn't know it could be used as a limiter too. That's good to know when towing my 8500 lb Springdale up a mountain.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #44
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
Wow , y'all taught me something about my Tundra. It has a M shift also. I didn't know it could be used as a limiter too. That's good to know when towing my 8500 lb Springdale up a mountain.
M or manual only means the selector will give you what ever gear you choice in a towing application. It does not mean Manual as in Stick Shift. Big difference. No one is drag racing or rally racing trailers here. The M is there also do to transmissions having more forward gears. Could you imagine looking at the dash and seeing P RND54321 or even P RND87654321. The shifter lever would have to nearly go all the way around. Your shifter is there like in olden days and is easy to understand because of that. But many shift selectors today only send info to the computer and there isn't an actual shift rod or lever anymore out side of the interior of the vehicle.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #45
Gapopper

I understand. I couldn't figure out why if I had it set at 5 and came to a stop , how come it would start out in 1. It makes sense now. It forces the engine to stay in the optimum rpm range.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #46
Johnny's Journey

^^^^^ BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #47
the sodfather

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47297.../dp/B00C5THYIK

I had this in my previous TV. It is awesome. You can mount your controls anywhere. New TV has built in brake controller so my INSIGHT became a gift for my brother.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #48
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Just some constructive criticism here, don't take it wrong Cheryl.

You should have taken the truck and trailer combo for a drive around the Foothills area, and/or the prairies outside Calgary, there are miles of roads that you can tool around for hours on a Saturday or Sunday to get used to how it feels, plus with the winds that we can experience here can in certain places be quite jarring, last weekend we came back from Cold Lake and the wind coming from the west just outside Red Deer was very strong, the fifth wheel was bobbing and weaving quite dramatically, passed quite a few Travel Trailers that were dancing dangerously close to other vehicles.

The wind in the mountains can be a lot for some to handle, and if you are a newbie to towing a trailer it can be downright scary.

So a less traveled road in the prairies would be a great start to 1) setting up the brakes, 2) learning how to tow.

I know when I first started pulling a fifth wheel I went to a WalMArt/Mall parking lot to practice basic backing practices. Mind you I also drove a 5 ton cargo while in the Army in Germany.......

Happy camping. Check out Waiporous outside Ghost River some of the best camping around the Southern Alberta area, only thing is there are no services, which suits us just fine.

http://www.redrocksawmills.com/index...unds/waiparous
None taken. I do appreciate feedback and thanks for the campground suggestion. I did spend many hours in an empty church parking lot which was very helpful. Also did lots of quiet road towing as well as traveling on less busy days. Mostly sticking close to home for a few seasons. Avoiding the QE 2 for awhile!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #49
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
WHY did they put the controller down there??? That is total nonsense that it HAS to be down there. The prodigy can be mounted at a pretty steep angle. I forget the exact number. I have mine mounted to the right of the steering column on the bottom slope of the dash. It is just to the right of my right knee. I can grab it easily if I need to and adjust it easily when I need to. If I had to guess it's probably at a 75* angle or so. There is NO reason that I know of why it needs to be down by your brakes pedal. It SHOULD be where you can reach it...EASILY...at all times.

Edit - I just read some more posts, the Prodigy does NOT need to be mounted flat front to back, only side to side. As Chuckster said it needs to be in line with the vehicle side to side, but front to back angle does NOT need to be flat by any means.

Edit 2 - The original Prodigy was 70*, the P2 is a full 360* vertical mounting.
Thanks, will be taking it in to redo the position of it.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #50
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
^^^^^ BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!! [emoji144]
Practiced the manual mode going to Radium without the trailer. Very helpful and learned lots. What fun, driving a truck! Was able to slowly gear down on the hills without having to use the brakes too much. Also geared down going up. Seems easier on the truck.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #51
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Practiced the manual mode going to Radium without the trailer. Very helpful and learned lots. What fun, driving a truck! Was able to slowly gear down on the hills without having to use the brakes too much. Also geared down going up. Seems easier on the truck.
Awesome your seeing what benefits can be had when using M. I'm again going to cation you on down shifting when all ready committed going down hill. DO NOT DOWN SHIFT. Carefully reread how I said I use mine. I said I always tow in M4 and use M3 only on up hill grades (when needed). M4 will help keep your truck from gaining speed down hill where as D will allow it to pick up speed.