Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
sportingrh

Remote light function inop

Just bought a 201 cougar 28rks the light function on remote doesn't work, docking light been on for 15 days straight . Dealer knew they were not working when I pick it up, said it was because light had been turned on manually. Not true.any help.
sportingrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

My docking lights work with either a switch on the switch panel or the remote. Whichever one turns them on has to turn them off, ie; when turned on with the remote they HAVE to be turned off by the remote. I spent two days towing down the road with my docking lights staring at me in the rear view until this forum guided me to turn them off with the remote. I had inadvertently pressed the symbol for the lights not knowing what it was for.....now I do. If yours are on, and stay on, something turned them on.........
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

One way to reset the remote, all the lights and the logic circuit (inside the remote brain) that controls whether the light switch will work to manually turn the lights off and on, is to remove power from the remote control brain. To do that, unplug the trailer from shore power, disconnect the battery and short the positive and negative battery cables together. DO NOT SHORT THE BATTERY !!!!! When you disconnect the shore power and the battery power, the battery cables will have no energy to them, so shorting them together will only 'drain any electrical potential" that may be remaining in the system.

Once you do that, reconnect the battery and try to turn the docking lights off with the manual switch located on the front of your trailer. It should work.

Cougar has changed remote control units several times between my 2014 and your 2018, so I have no idea which model remote you might have installed. Resetting it, however, remains the same: No power and the system reverts to "base settings".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
sportingrh

Ok took to dealer they said wired wrong,and the remote only works docking light, not what salesman said. Any way to tell what kind equipment my camper has, owners manual very vague. Oh yeah been at dealership (camping world) two weeks.
sportingrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Somewhere in the owner's packet you should find a single yellow "hand printed" sheet. It's a "multi sheet inventory" that's filled in by the line as components are installed in your trailer during assembly. It is a "brand, part number, model number, serial number" list of every appliance, every tire and every "major component" that was installed in your trailer. It's called the "build sheet" was provided by the factory and should have been left in the trailer by the dealer on delivery. If I remember, his copy of the build sheet is green and the factory keeps the "top copy" for their records department.

You should be able to get much of the information about "what's in my trailer" from that build sheet. Other components and items will need a physical look to find a manufacturer's data plate or sticker. Things like windows, doors, trim, status panel etc are not included on the build sheet, at least they weren't on my two Keystone trailers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, remote