Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Paducah3

Newbie hitch height question

Hi All,

We will be picking up our new Passport 199ML TT in a few weeks. I will be using a 2010 4X2 F150 to tow it. Would a 4" adjustable hitch be enough to make sure my rig is towed level?

The hitch weight is 322 lbs and I figure with full water and gear it will drop the rear of my truck a little more.

Do any of you have a similar rig that could tell me what height your trailer hitch sits when it is level?

Looking forward to being a Keystone camper owner. Thanks
Paducah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Paddler

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Looks like it has been a couple weeks since your original post so you might actually have your new trailer by now[PHP][/PHP]. If not, here is the disclaimer part, I don't have an F-150 or a Passport 199, so take any advice with grain of salt.

Most trailer owners tow their rigs with some form of a weight distrubution/sway control hitch system. Very few just use a ball alone. While having a tongue weight of only 300 lbs doesn't seem like much, figure it will be more like 400-450 lbs when the trailer is fully loaded.

You also have to take into account the fulcrum effect. The 400lbs is attached to your truck 3 feet away from the rear axle and is probably closer to the equivalent of 1200+ lbs over the rear axle.

You might want to consider looking into weight distrubution/sway control hitches. The two brands that seem to have a fairly large number of happy users is Reese Dual Cam and the Equal-i-zer. I would suggest purchasing one that has more capacity than you currently need so in the event you decide to move up to a larger trailer, your hitch system will not have to be replaced.

Good luck with your new rig!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Paddler

Hello again,
I really didn't address your height question in my last reply so...measure the height from the top of trailer coupler to the ground when the trailer is level. Assuming the trailer is on flat ground that is how high your ball should be plus the amount the truck is going to sag when the trailer is attached.

Let us know how you like your new trailer when you get it home and if you decided to stay with the naked ball or purchased a weight distrubution/sway control system.
Go camping!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
jq1031

Welcome & as Steve above said you may already have your TT by now. His advise is right on, towing with the ball alone is a very bad idea. A weight distribution (WD) hitch is almost a must especially if you're planing on any Interstate driving. Sway control is another must, in my opinion, but the WD hitch alone is better than nothing. Your truck bed cargo will increase that tongue weight as will anything loaded inside the front of the TT, as well as the battery, so having said that, it stands to reason that the tongue weight your expressing is not realistic. Enjoy your new toy & be safe.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Paducah3

Thank you both for the advice. I will be picking up the trailer next week and will talk with the dealer about my options. One good point that I did not consider was being able to transfer the hitch to an other trailer in the future. I will keep you all posted on how the trip goes. Thanks again.
Paducah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Paddler

Hi Paduchah3,
I would suggest pricing the different hitches online before talking with your dealer. That way you will know what a fair price is.

Another thing to consider is the brake controller. You will need one. The hands down favorite trailer brake controller is the Tekensha Prodigy. They generally run around $100 and it is money well spent, set it and forget it, it works that well.
Good luck with the new rig!