Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Wildhorse

Tire temps.

Anybody have a reference to tire temp charts or data so that I have an idea what is acceptable while towing? I'm new to this and have been convinced to keep speeds down, but to still fear OEM tires.

On our first significant trip I'm seeing tire sidewall temps around 113-116f but don't know how to interpret this info.

Yesterday a 2012 Fuzion pulled into the campground and parked 4 spots down from us. The passenger side is blown out of it from a tire coming apart. I talked to him at length about it and he was going 60 mph when the event happened. I don't know anything regarding his care of the tires, or the mileage, but I can see the damage to his Trailer and want to be proactive. His tires were also a different brand than mine FWIW. He told me the car behind him was damaged from flying debris.

Thank you for any insight on temps as a method of predicting problems if it is indeed valid.
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know what your trailer is or your tire size. I just pulled from TX to FL pulling a Cougar High Country, GVW 10,000lbs. I checked my tires at each fuel stop. I check wheel, backplate, hub, spindle etc. with an infrared temp gun. I had nothing over 127 degrees on the trip.

The tire situation you witnessed could have been from a multitude of reasons and tire temp (inflation) may or may not have been the reason.

Many tire failures are caused by under inflation, running too fast, tires too old, overweight and on, and on. Your situation is best handled by you while taking into account ALL the aspects listed on this forum...just do a search on tires.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Wildhorse -
If you have and are using an infrared "gun" to measure your tire temperatures and want to establish a reference point temperature, then you should:
1) take the temperature immediately after you exit the freeway after driving it at your normal highway speed. If, after leaving the highway, you drive around for a few minutes allowing the tires to cool down or stop to first visit the bathroom you will get a lower temperature reading than if you measured right afterwards.
2) point the gun at the same place on the tire.
3) allow for variances in outside temperatures ---- 80 deg vs 100 deg.
4) ensure that the correct tire pressure beforehand has been properly maintained

Ideally, temperatures should be taken while the tires are in motion at freeway speed. This is best accomplished, of course, with a TPMS. These systems will give you a constant readout of tire temp and pressure while driving and will warn you (visibly and audibly) if the temperature exceeds the max that you have programmed into the system.

I believe that a reading of somewhere between 120-150 deg falls within an acceptable range but there are so many variables.

These systems are not foolproof and won't guarantee against a blowout happening. You may not get any warning or very little but they are a useful tool in your quest to be proactive.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Wildhorse

Thanks for the responses. Our trailer is a 355TS Raptot and it is loaded close to its limits for this trip. The trailer Max's at 17,100 lbs. I'll edit this tomorrow with the tire size and a picture of the Fuzion down the row with the blowout damage.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
bobbecky

This was a note in the installation manual for my TST tire pressure/temp system (TPMS) dealing with setting the parameters for tire temperatures. {The temperature default on the system is 157° F, which is the Michelin standard; tires typically fail between 180° F and 200° F.} When I installed the system, I left the temperature alarm at 158 degrees, which is the default setting. While traveling in central California today, our trailer tires were close to 130 degrees a couple times, but usually around 125 degrees.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #6
SADLY

Don't get caught up in trying figure out a specific temp to look for... Because temps will vary with speed, load carried by the tire, outside air temperature, air pressure inside tire.... even road conditions.

Inflate tires to correct pressure and then use your infrared gun at a variety of spots on all tires.... Look for variances.... meaning 3 tires are 110 degrees near center of sidewall, but ONE is recording 160 degrees... That is the one to question.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
PhilDeb

120 is not high at all. I use Sadly's rules.

Remember, if you have too much temp in the right front, you may want to take a 1/2 round of diagonal out of it. Hate to have to come in for right sides before everyone else does.
Wisconsin
PhilDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Hideout17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDeb View Post
120 is not high at all. I use Sadly's rules.

Remember, if you have too much temp in the right front, you may want to take a 1/2 round of diagonal out of it. Hate to have to come in for right sides before everyone else does.
Nice reply.....I always want 4 tho,..,,
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Wildhorse

Here are pics of the Fuzion camped near me. These tires were purchased to keep his vacation going. There is a wiring harness separated in addition to the obvious damage. There is also damage under the trailer.