Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
springdale5

Another half ton querry (I think I spelled that right)

My TV is a 2006 Silverado Z71 1500 Ex-cab, 5.3L with 3.42 gears. I added E-rated tires all around and a Timbren SES kit in the rear. I towed my new Sprindale 296 home from the dealer on the freeway about 30 miles or so. I have a reese WD with dual cam sway, I was blown away with how good it towed, granted it was empty. I plan on getting a 3/4 ton truck next year. But with the wind of the day and heavy truck traffic, it towed steady. Maintained 60-62 mph at about 2000 rpm. Most of my trips for this year are within a couple of hours from home, so I think I will be just fine. Just wondering if a super tuner and cold air intake would be worth the money. Any opinions out there? (dah, loaded question)
Reese WD hitch W/ DC sway
Wife, 3 boys, 1 girl, 1 crazy yellow lab
springdale5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Handysam

My opinion for your 1/2 ton would be no on the tuner and cold air intake. The tires and timbrens was a good call, to me that is useful on the half tons. Sounds like your good to go. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
campingcpl

I did some upgrades on a Blazer I had (chip, ignition, exhaust, cold air, etc.) that had a 5.7 with 3.73 a 3" lift and 33" tires and it helped but still had trouble pulling the heavier loads in the wind and hills. On the flats I had no problem running 65 mph. We got rid of that and got a GMC pick up (5.3 and 3.73's) and did a few mods on that as well (air intake, ignition, suspension, etc.) and again no problems towing on the flats even with an 8,000 lbs trailer. But again the hills and wind with the half ton really made it rough. Got the 2500 Chevy Diesel now and no problems with hills, wind, etc..

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

i don't really think that tuners help on a gas truck, what i have noticed is that they just seem to eat more gas. they might help with thorotle response a bit, but that isn't a problem while you are towing. if i were you i would spend the money on the camper and not the truck. espacially if you are planing on trading it in on a bigger one. but to each there own, congrats on the new trailer
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Purpose and budgets, ahhhhhh !

Many of us have had similar TV decisions. Enjoy what you presently have and plan trips accordingly. When you sense your TV is at max; hey; go shop for the next level "safe" replacement. Safety should always be your number one consideration. My 2500 Dodge turbo diesel will tow my 36ft 5er at speeds I will never, ever see. Feels great driving relaxed; 60-65, no wind turbulance; taking in America as we go. No white knuckle syndrome; no paralysis of merging big rigs or insensitive cars.

Match the rig and TV and drive on through this beautiful land! If you need more "gittyup"; change your plans until you can get up, pack up, go and return without fear of everything around you that potentially "could happen". Worry is not a good thing! Last year I put all new tires on a TT I traded, just because I did not want to be concerned with a potential problem from a 4 year old tire that "looked" new. Could have blown one, but I sure as heck improved the odds that it would not happen. Enough "stuff" happens just as we roll along. Avoid the anxiety.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Springdale 298

Well said Outbackmel

Could not have said it better. I towed my Springdale 298 for two years with a Nissan Titan. Did well for the 2-5 hour trips the family took. Except for being in the Blue Ridge Mountains and took the wrong road one day and realized I just did not have enough truck to slow that 7500 lb loaded TT like I wanted. So now I'm the owner of an F250. The problem is most 1/2 ton trucks today will pull 9-10K trailer, plenty of HP and torque, but stopping like you want at times, well welcome to the 3/4 ton + world. Its just is a matter of safety. Don't get me wrong 1/2 tons, when properly equipped, especially w/ LR "D" or "e" tires and helper springs will do fine for most of folks travels and of course keeping safe speeds. I hope most folks towing have good common sense and know your TV capabilities. Sure wish those communters on the interstate could understand what we RVers know!
Equalizer Sway Control
Springdale 298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

good point with stoping, a lot of people forget just how much is back there with consumer trucks getting bigger and stronger trans. and motors, that they forget once you get it going you got to get it stoped at some point. this is something that often scares me, few years back i lost brake conection on the trailer and didn't realize it till i was headed down the hill. luckly i was in a lagre truck that could handle getting it slowed down, but just so. i often now hit the brake controller before i go up hills now just to make sure i still got them.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 04-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
springdale5

response to querry

Alot of great responses, kind of reinforced what I was thinking. I love my current TV, but know if I want to hit the east coast a 3/4 ton possibly a DIESEL will be in my future. P.S.: Don't tell my wife, she just wouldn't understand. LOL
Reese WD hitch W/ DC sway
Wife, 3 boys, 1 girl, 1 crazy yellow lab
springdale5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Whitejack

It was easy to convince my wife to upgrade. We had a quad cab toyota tacoma truck. Wife always complained that it was too small. When we sold our Class C and decided on a TT, the trade was already done, so to speak. We have a 3/4 Super Duty diesel. The wife loves it. I love it too but do miss my little toyota from time to time
Whitejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Outbackmel

Brakes

Yep, a fine quality brake controller; combined with the heavier brakes on the 3/4 tons and exhaust brake DO make for more of a peaceful trip....before RV's I had a single axle 2 bike enclosed cargo hauler (no brakes)...even at 5,000 lbs, depending on light weight TV brakes caused me to consider a different set up.

It only takes one scary as H--- experience and your wife will actually drive you to a dealership to trade

Summer is coming.....make wise choices and safe travels out there
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
cumminsdad08

hey what she don't realize wont hurt her. these new diesel's run pretty quiet. i am a huge diesel nut, and my wife just happens to "know" a lot too, and some times she can't even tell the difference from a gas truck.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix