Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
bitten

No wrench, no jack. New RVer

Ok by me. I figure my Cougar 28 RLS will have enough tools in it any way. Don't have a torque wrench and what size are the lug nuts?
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
hankaye

Bugbitten, Howdy;

Don't count on any tools being included with the trailer. You'd better check
to be sure that they included the hook to help you pull out the awning ...
All the rest are up to you to provide.

Welcome to the forum and to the Wundafull world of Keystone RVs .

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Ok by me. I figure my Cougar 28 RLS will have enough tools in it any way. Don't have a torque wrench and what size are the lug nuts?
The "enough tools" you refer to must be your own as Keystone doesn't supply any tools other than the awning hook (as hank mentioned above), a flexible "gizmo" or crank for manually extending and retracting the slides, perhaps a manual crank for the rear jacks, and one for manually raising/lowering the front landing jacks - for a 5th wheel.

You're on your own for all of the other "tools" you might need.

The lug nuts on our Cougar's wheels are 13/16" . Your size may vary. Check your own lug nuts to be certain.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The "enough tools" you refer to must be your own as Keystone doesn't supply any tools other than the awning hook (as hank mentioned above), a flexible "gizmo" or crank for manually extending and retracting the slides, perhaps a manual crank for the rear jacks, and one for manually raising/lowering the front landing jacks - for a 5th wheel.

You're on your own for all of the other "tools" you might need.

The lug nuts on our Cougar's wheels are 13/16" . Your size may vary. Check your own lug nuts to be certain.
You got tools for workin' the slides and the rear jacks and the landing
gear??? I was told 3/4" socket and get yerself a long extension for the
slide and figure it out for the landin' gear. Good thing I have a well
stocked toolbox

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Festus2, Howdy;

You got tools for workin' the slides and the rear jacks and the landing

gear??? I was told 3/4" socket and get yerself a long extension for the

slide and figure it out for the landin' gear. Good thing I have a well

stocked toolbox

hankaye

I got tools for everything with my Laredo, but I quickly realized I would be cranking for a few hours if I ever had to use them, and got the right stuff to extend my electric drill that rides in the trailer. I figured they'd have been better off handing me $35 to go to Harbor Freight. Haha.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
FTWingRiders

When I put together my toolbox for my 5'er, I figured the best way to make sure I always have what I need is I only use the tools I carry in the camper whenever I do anything to it. that way if I'm missing something, I know it, and can add to the toolbox.
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

hankaye -
I lied. Got all the tools I mentioned (rear stabilizers, awning hook, and landing jacks crank) except for the 3/4" socket wrench needed for the manual slide operation. On some other models, I believe a flexible nut driver was included to extend/retract them.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #8
byrdr1

You got a hook for the awning??
I have electric awning and never got that tool. I bought one for around $7-8. Haven't used it for pulling awning out or up but for lots of other things. I do use it to pull the awning down into the lower locked position when the rain is coming so I don't have the dump feature scaring the dogs. JUST drop the height of the awing to its lowest position using it as grab hook and tighten the screws up.
I got slide out manual wrench and manual rear jack handle and that was it.
I use 20v dewalt with socket for rear levelers now. and Luckily never had to manual screw out the slides.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #9
bitten

No awning tool included
Old 04-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #10
bitten

My own tools I carry in the truck all the time
Old 04-21-2016, 04:47 AM   #11
bitten

No slide out tool
Old 04-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #12
Mike484

Have you checked in the blue bag that came with the trailer that holds all the paperwork and your remotes were in?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWingRiders View Post
When I put together my toolbox for my 5'er, I figured the best way to make sure I always have what I need is I only use the tools I carry in the camper whenever I do anything to it. that way if I'm missing something, I know it, and can add to the toolbox.

That's my MO, too. Started with a decent tool kit that stays in the trailer and as I found jobs I couldn't do with it, added tools. They stay in there year-round. Nothing fancy, certainly no shop quality SnapOn stuff, just regular tools.

People are always dumbfounded when we're at a campsite and they start complaining that something is broken on their rig and I say, "Let me go get the tool bag for you..." Apparently the idea of carrying some simple tools is a novel one. I don't get it.

Due to some life scheduling changes in the last three years, we haven't taken our fiver out as much as we planned, but when we do, ruining a trip for lack of simple tools would not make me too happy with myself.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the "best" way to deal with having to get the fiver up in the air on the side of the road. I have bottle jacks and some cribbing but on an uneven surface I would be pretty dang nervous to use them. Also have roadside that will come out and deal with it, but know the story of friends who've had that and waited hours and hours and hours for a mountain dispatch on a Sunday.

So I'm eyeballing those "dive up on it" things if both tires weren't trashed on the same side, both for stability and quickness of use, and wondering if I want to take up that much storage space for them. They do seem like a good idea. Maybe they'd just have to be stored inside in the front closet. Hmm. Our passthrough is usually pretty full.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #14
Mike484

I carry a full set of good quality tools in the trailers storage.

Have a full tool chest of tools in my hangar.

Have a full set of tools in my garage.

I might be a tool freak, but I believe in having the tools I need so I'm prepared. I do not lend out my tools, if you want to use them, you come to me to use them, if you don't have tools, you don't understand the value of them and may not return them if you borrow them. I love my tools.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #15
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Have you checked in the blue bag that came with the trailer that holds all the paperwork and your remotes were in?
No tools came in my Cougar. I have two plans if on the road ~~ call a tech is #1 and bust out my tools if that fails. Lippert has a nice CD that shows how to operate the auto-level system and what tools you need to bring in case manual retract is required. Tires are certainly a road side service situation with ahorrible back at my age.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
bitten

I don't have a torque wrench. Any brand? Needs extension? How often to check tires?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

No wrench, no jack. New RVer

Electric awning won't come with a cane (rod). Harbor Freight has the 1/2" drive torque wrench on sale about every other week for under $20.00 and if you buy the lug socket set it will have the right size and extension. There should be a sticker on the fender skirt for how often to check.

I got lucky and got 2 handles with 3/4" socket end. Cut one to use with my cordless drill to raise/lower rear stab jacks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I carry a full set of good quality tools in the trailers storage.

Have a full tool chest of tools in my hangar.

Have a full set of tools in my garage.

I might be a tool freak, but I believe in having the tools I need so I'm prepared. I do not lend out my tools, if you want to use them, you come to me to use them, if you don't have tools, you don't understand the value of them and may not return them if you borrow them. I love my tools.

^^^ X2 - I love my tools too. No such thing as having too many. I don't have the patience to go from one building/vehicle/RV to another for a tool. Just put a full set in each place and I'm always ready to get on the job without wandering or looking around. One thought; I do have some items I've bought from HF but I have had some of my sockets/wrenches that seem a little off sized. Still buy stuff there, and I've never had a problem with their impact sockets so who knows. Torque wrenches seem to be OK too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
I don't have a torque wrench. Any brand? Needs extension? How often to check tires?

Since I have painted wheels I had to check the lug nuts each time I towed until the paint on the mating surface was worn away. I use a torque wrench from Walmart. Seems to work well. I check tire pressure before we leave on a trip. If it is a long trip I may check it more frequently.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

In addition to tools torqueing your lug nuts and checking pressure is extremely important. If it's a new rig, even more so. I took my trailer out with my 1500 pickup for a trip to FL. I had to torque the lug nuts every day; at least 2 would be loosened up every morning (5 lug nuts). 8 lugs makes a huge difference and I don't have that issue. Just make sure you do it. I check air pressure before the start of every day and check tire temp with either my hand or IR gauge at every stop.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote