Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
It's right next to the sizing. Here's a pic of mine.

Even though it's rated to 75, I try to keep it at 65 or under.
Looks like your tires are the "newer ones"... Do you happen to know the date code on your tires? And.. are they all the same date of manufacture?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #22
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looks like your tires are the "newer ones"... Do you happen to know the date code on your tires? And.. are they all the same date of manufacture?
They show 0315 as the date code. I believe they are all the same.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
CWSWine

My factory tires on my 2016 Montana have the L on them also but if you see my 5er going down the road at 75 MPH please call the police because it has been stolen.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
All ST tires are now manufactured in China. Maxxis are the only ones I might consider. We had 4 year old blow max tires on our 327RES Cougar. I also had a TPMS on the tires which monitored pressure and temperature. Last August after having lunch at a rest stop and inspecting the tires we left and about 30 minutes later one of the 5ers tires delaminated tearing the side of the rig. These were tires that were covered and very well maintained. At the time of the delamination the tire pressure was still within range and only began to deflate when we pulled over. We bought Michelin XPS Ribs for the 5er. When we got back home the next day the tire guy said another tire on the other side was about to come apart as well. He also related that the delamination was caused simply by poor construction. So given my experience would I suggest anyone risk injury or damage ......no...spend the dough and get the ST tires replaced with at least Maxxis or LT tires.
My Maxxis ST tires are made in Thailand.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #25
roadglide

Good though about adding another 2000 to my already 10000 miles I put on my trailer kings 16s. I bought saline G tires today there rated at 4050 lbs reminding me of a semi trailer tire. My stock trailer kings seemed to make air they where always over 80 lbs. I let air out again to 80 lbs. Its at the dealer for service work now. My experience is pull under 65 and have the max air pressure.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #26
RLM5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
Purchased our trailer new in March of 2012, unit came with ST225/75RF15 LR D Power King tires with 3,400 miles on them at present and a manufacturing date of Nov 2011.
The age of the tire alone would be reason to replace them soon. Sounds like you have taken good care of them.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #27
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Although any of the XPS Rib sizes qualify for supporting your 5200# axles Michelin still will not warranty them when replacing Original Equipment ST tires, especially of a higher load capacity.

Here is a PDF of the Michelin warranty package. Read “what is not covered” starting on page #2.

http://media.michelinman.com/content...omise_Plan.pdf

Here is another Michelin reference. Under tire replacements click on "Do I have to replace my tires with the same size?

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/hel...#1393412908155

I wonder how "poor construction" was established? A tire forensic expert can do that with a tire in hand. Maybe it should be sent to NHTSA for further investigation.
Bought 7 LT Xp ribs from American tires they mounted and balance the tires. And bought the warrenty. So I guess I have a warrenty as if it was on my truck I had towmax.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #28
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
All ST tires are now manufactured in China. Maxxis are the only ones I might consider. We had 4 year old blow max tires on our 327RES Cougar. I also had a TPMS on the tires which monitored pressure and temperature. Last August after having lunch at a rest stop and inspecting the tires we left and about 30 minutes later one of the 5ers tires delaminated tearing the side of the rig. These were tires that were covered and very well maintained. At the time of the delamination the tire pressure was still within range and only began to deflate when we pulled over. We bought Michelin XPS Ribs for the 5er. When we got back home the next day the tire guy said another tire on the other side was about to come apart as well. He also related that the delamination was caused simply by poor construction. So given my experience would I suggest anyone risk injury or damage ......no...spend the dough and get the ST tires replaced with at least Maxxis or LT tires.
Kumho makes an amazing D rated ST tire, the 857, in Korea. Even our lowly 205/75R14 is rated to 99mph (nice to have lots of headroom) with that extra load capacity for larger units who come equipped with 14 inchers.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #29
notanlines

Esmoglo, do you hear that loud snickering in the background? We have ALL heard of Trailer King tires. When reading the horror stories of blowouts the most common brand would be Trailer King or their associated brands. And keep in mind that 5 pounds under proper pressure coupled with 5 miles over max MPH, AND a Trailer King tire is a recipe for road side assistance and a call to Geico.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
The above is an accurate statement. The word SHOULD is the critical point. I kept (keep) my tires at the recommended psi religiously. I don't drive over 65mph. The tires are covered when parked for long periods and are in a enclosed storage facility when not in use. I do a walk around at every gas stop checking the tires and wheels. All of this including having all tires pulled and inspected by a local tire dealer before departing Monday (they said the tires were in "excellent" condition). 50 miles out the tread completely separated from the tire as if it was never attached to the carcass.

All that to just say if you think that because you keep your tires aired up and check them, it absolutely means nothing when it's time for the tire to "go" for whatever reason. I'm afraid you will be in for a big surprise.

Although it appears there is no rhyme or reason to the failures and some folks have good luck and some don't I think there may be some common denominators. 1) Tires that are put on the trailer that just barely cover the weight of the trailer (mine is one) resulting in overweight conditions when traveling over a highway like I20 in Shreveport, which I've done multiple times, 2) poor/inferior construction materials or methods used in China. I know there are specs that all tires have to meet for sale in the U.S. but the evidence is irrefutable that the Chinese tires fail dismally. I have had two independent, knowledgeable people look at the tire that came off my trailer and both agreed that the tire just wasn't constructed as it should have been, 3) folks fail to adhere to the requirement of maintaining pressure and speed while not looking at their tires frequently and 4) those that tend to want to stretch the life of the tire beyond its intended lifespan.

I think if you did all of the things a person could do to minimize a tire "event" you would still be susceptible to the "no rhyme or reason". IMO if you bought 5 Trailer King tires today you would have a 50/50 chance of a tire destructing by 2 years. That's just my opinion - I know how I take care of stuff and know our issue was definitely not manmade.

The unfortunate thing is nearly all trailer tires are made in China. Carlisle has a new one out that says it's made in the USA and Maxxis is made in Thailand. The Maxxis reviews are stellar compared to all of the rest. I am having 5 new Carlisle's put on our trailer as I write because I couldn't wait for the Maxxis tires to be shipped in. I hope/anticipate they will last this year, and next year, when we aren't under pressure to get to FL, I will have a set of Maxxis ordered and put on. It seems a waste but I am now phobic about the tires on the trailer and can't stand to constantly be on pins and needles every second while I'm driving; I want to enjoy the trip and not be worried all the time. Just my 2 cents.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #31
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
I dunno if that's the complete equation for success. I think there's at least a third part. Tire brand. I think buying the right tire (Maxxis or Carlisle or Sailun), proper inflation, remaining below the tire's speed rating and, of course, balancing said tire is about all anyone can do to shift the odds in one's favor.

One starts out handicapped when buying a new trailer because of the tire brand and the fact that they aren't balanced. What happens during the tow to the dealer is another factor, as in were the tires inflated properly and was the tire speed rating adhered to? One of the first things I did was change the tires and install a wetbolt kit when I got it home. Maybe not wallet comfortable, but comforting for the psyche.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote