Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
esmoglo

New factory tires keep or not?

My Passport is a 2016 2810BH has less than 2500 miles on the stock factory tires and they look just fine no issues. I have good friend that keeps hounding me saying they are crap and to change them to Maxxis. Now I know my buddy has my best interest at heart but the tires are new, he keeps referring to blowout issues with stock factory tires. Should I change them if so why? Stock tires from Keystone are bad? What am I missing here?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What brand tires and what size are they?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
GaryWT

Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
CWtheMan

It’s very hard to put a finger - so to speak - on the causes for so many bad reports on Original Equipment RV trailer tires. IMO, misuse from the factory to you may be the largest cause. Without knowing the history of the tires it’s all guess work, mainly because there are very seldom any accompanying, or factual information about the cause of the failures. My first question is, were your tires properly inflated when you took possession of your trailer? If you did not check them until you got home with the unit you have already contributed to an early failure condition if they were under-inflated. Were they aired properly when they left the factory? Did the dealer insure they were properly inflated? Usually they just gloss them for looks.

Another contributing factor for early failure is the size and load capacity of the Original Equipment tires. RV trailer manufacturers will use appropriately sized tires/rims. But, sometimes those tires are going to be used very close to their maximum load capacities which causes them to rapidly lose their ability to support the load, hence, an early tire or 2,3,4 failure (s).

There are many thousands of RV trailer owners that never have any problems with their OE tires. From that, I surmise, that when properly cared for and not abused, OE tires will meet their 3-5 year life cycle without fail.

Bottom line: The load capacity of your OE tires are marginal, at best. The easiest upgrade option for you is to move up to the ST215/75R14C when it’s replacement time. It’s about ½” taller than the OE tires and has the same 50 PSI inflation as the OE tires. Your owner’s manual is going to tell you to use the same size tires that cam on it or any options they recommend.

Sorry, I shy away from brand recommendations unless there is a unique size sold by a single brand name.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
You hit the nail on the head. Inflation and speed. That says it all. Keep them inflated and keep to speed tires are rated for. No matter the brand.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
buzzcop63

Purchased our trailer new in March of 2012, unit came with ST225/75RF15 LR D Power King tires with 3,400 miles on them at present and a manufacturing date of Nov 2011. I purchased Tire Minder and monitor all four tires on our trailer due to reading so many problems with China tires. To date my tires have given me no problem but by monitoring the Tire Minder I have been made aware that traveling over 55 MPH that the temperature rises as well as the tires PSI. Every stop we take I do a walk around to check truck and trailer tires by hand for heat, physical damage as well as the trailers wheel bearings. Tires are kept covered when in storage but do sit on Asphalt for 5 or more months during the winter. These tire are rated at 2,540Lb at 65PSI, trailer scale weight while attached to truck is 5,500Lb, and each tire caring approximately 1,375Lb which would leave 46% of the tires weight capacity unused. Have talked to several tire dealers, sales people and those putting on the tires and their advice is keep inflated to proper PSI and drive at moderate speed, these tire professionals say its speed, low pressure and physical damage to the tire causing blow outs. Consider that the closer a tire is to its weight limit the more every bounce the tire takes may shoot the weight over its limit.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 AM   #7
esmoglo

Checked my tires yesterday giving them a good look over PSI was at 45per tire so I think they were properly inflated since I've had the unit since October 5PSI loss is normal. I am guilty of travelling at 70MPH though did not know 65MPH was the limit..... my passport has 14inch tires I may just replace them with the maxxis trailer tires and be done with it & sell off the used set on craigslist?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
dcg9381

No one is going to argue that it's a best practice to keep them inflated to proper psi per load and run them under 65 mph.

I'm guilty of running over 65mph. There are conditions where I feel it's simply not safe to be moving 15 mph slower than most traffic.

I tossed my factory tires. Here's what helped me make a decision:
1) Look up the DOT code on the tires. Determine if they are made in China. China doesn't mean that they're bad, but it's an indicator that you want to dig a little more.

2) What does your trailer actually weigh in at? On mine, the factory tires were at 85% of their rated capacity, assuming that the trailer was perfectly balanced and towed completely flat. In absence of perfect balance, in cross winds, or during cornering, it's likely that my tires were over rated capacity.

3) You can lookup complaints on your brand and size - but often China tires tend to change name.

For me, if tires are at 75% or greater of their rating and are off-brand from China, I'm replacing. A blown tire simply does too much damage.

BTW, I've had Goodyear tires go too, so there is no perfect solution..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
Mike484

Get them balanced too.

Next time you stop at a truck stop that has a service bay and restaraunt, ask if they can check the balance on your tires while your eating lunch.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
esmoglo

Tires that came from Keystone were Trailer King ST Radial 205/75R14's including the spare tire.

Went to the trailer king web page looked up the specification on the tires
INGLE MAX. LOAD LBS.@PSI
1760@50

DUAL MAX. LOAD LBS.@PSI
1570@50

Passport weight is 5140LBS dry.

Has anyone heard of Trailer King tires?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
mfifield01

I have looked into the tires on the 2810bh. They are speed rated to 75 MPH. A few weeks ago, they were on Amazon. They received good reviews. My rough estimate is that I'm at 70% of the load capacity of the tire. I plan to keep mine for about 3 years. As of now, I have 2500 miles on them.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I have looked into the tires on the 2810bh. They are speed rated to 75 MPH. A few weeks ago, they were on Amazon. They received good reviews. My rough estimate is that I'm at 70% of the load capacity of the tire. I plan to keep mine for about 3 years. As of now, I have 2500 miles on them.
Yea think mine have around the same mileage perhaps a bit more now since we just got back from a trip, getting ready to head back out for five more days this month. I may just keep them on the RV for now and see how they hold up. I have thick white vinyl tire covers on them when I am not using the RV.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
nellie1289

Do you guys count in your total miles those it took to deliver your unit. for me that was 2000+ easy.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
If you used the information from Amazon to obtain your speed rating, you may have reached an incorrect conclusion. There has been a "recent change" in NHTSA requirements to include speed ratings of "L" (75MPH) on all "new ST tires". That rating is not retroactive and doesn't apply to tires produced before the NHTSA changes. New tires on Amazon are probably imported after the changes and include the increased speed rating. Older tires are not included in the changes.

You need to look at the actual tires mounted on your trailer (not new replacement tires) to determine the speed rating. The OEM tires on your 2015 Passport were probably produced and imported prior to the changes. Unless the tires are marked with the letter "L" indicating the speed rating of 75MPH, they are limited to 65MPH. All unmarked tires are speed rated at 65MPH.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you used the information from Amazon to obtain your speed rating, you may have reached an incorrect conclusion. There has been a "recent change" in NHTSA requirements to include speed ratings of "L" (75MPH) on all "new ST tires". That rating is not retroactive and doesn't apply to tires produced before the NHTSA changes. New tires on Amazon are probably imported after the changes and include the increased speed rating. Older tires are not included in the changes.

You need to look at the actual tires mounted on your trailer (not new replacement tires) to determine the speed rating. The OEM tires on your 2015 Passport were probably produced and imported prior to the changes. Unless the tires are marked with the letter "L" indicating the speed rating of 75MPH, they are limited to 65MPH. All unmarked tires are speed rated at 65MPH.
They are marked with an L on the tire (100/96L).
Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Do you guys count in your total miles those it took to deliver your unit. for me that was 2000+ easy.
Good point. I have just been using my trailer brake controller mileage. I probably should add about 1300 miles to that.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #17
esmoglo

My Passport was made in 10/2015 and is a 2016 model however I don't see the letter you are referring to in terms of the speed rating..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	10123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2331.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	10124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2334.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	10125  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #18
fred1609

All ST tires are now manufactured in China. Maxxis are the only ones I might consider. We had 4 year old blow max tires on our 327RES Cougar. I also had a TPMS on the tires which monitored pressure and temperature. Last August after having lunch at a rest stop and inspecting the tires we left and about 30 minutes later one of the 5ers tires delaminated tearing the side of the rig. These were tires that were covered and very well maintained. At the time of the delamination the tire pressure was still within range and only began to deflate when we pulled over. We bought Michelin XPS Ribs for the 5er. When we got back home the next day the tire guy said another tire on the other side was about to come apart as well. He also related that the delamination was caused simply by poor construction. So given my experience would I suggest anyone risk injury or damage ......no...spend the dough and get the ST tires replaced with at least Maxxis or LT tires.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
All ST tires are now manufactured in China. Maxxis are the only ones I might consider. We had 4 year old blow max tires on our 327RES Cougar. I also had a TPMS on the tires which monitored pressure and temperature. Last August after having lunch at a rest stop and inspecting the tires we left and about 30 minutes later one of the 5ers tires delaminated tearing the side of the rig. These were tires that were covered and very well maintained. At the time of the delamination the tire pressure was still within range and only began to deflate when we pulled over. We bought Michelin XPS Ribs for the 5er. When we got back home the next day the tire guy said another tire on the other side was about to come apart as well. He also related that the delamination was caused simply by poor construction. So given my experience would I suggest anyone risk injury or damage ......no...spend the dough and get the ST tires replaced with at least Maxxis or LT tires.
Although any of the XPS Rib sizes qualify for supporting your 5200# axles Michelin still will not warranty them when replacing Original Equipment ST tires, especially of a higher load capacity.

Here is a PDF of the Michelin warranty package. Read “what is not covered” starting on page #2.

http://media.michelinman.com/content...omise_Plan.pdf

Here is another Michelin reference. Under tire replacements click on "Do I have to replace my tires with the same size?

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/hel...#1393412908155

I wonder how "poor construction" was established? A tire forensic expert can do that with a tire in hand. Maybe it should be sent to NHTSA for further investigation.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #20
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
My Passport was made in 10/2015 and is a 2016 model however I don't see the letter you are referring to in terms of the speed rating..
It's right next to the sizing. Here's a pic of mine.

Even though it's rated to 75, I try to keep it at 65 or under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Rating.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	10126