Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Sherwolfe

Travel Trailer WD Hitch

Just purchased a 2015 Keystone Cougar 28RLSWE 1/2 Ton Series. This was from a private party and it came with a EazLift Hitch and sway control. Overall the hitch seemed to work fine, other than the popping and screeching from the sway control bar.

Looking a purchasing a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch as the information I have been able to obtain is these hitches are less messy and do a outstanding job.

Since I am new to this, thought I would seek some input from those of you who have more experience and knowledge about the Blue Ox WD Hitches.

As you can see from my signature, I am using a 2015 F150 Lariat with the 3.5 EcoBoost. Vehicle has plenty of power and did fine pulling the trailer with the EazLift hitch other than the noise it made, plus it was previously lubed and thus had plenty of grease.

I also see some discussions about the Equalizer and the Reese hitches, which of course each has their own Pro's and Con's. However, looking for the input for the Pro's or Con's of the Blue Ox. I am considering the Blue Ox 1500.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I have an Eaz-Lift that I used for transporting, but have never used the sway control (can't install it on the trailers for transporting). My friend has the Blue OX for his Passport. Personal opinion, I love the Blue Ox and if I needed a hitch for my personal trailer that is what I would buy. They are very easy to use and work great, much better design for connecting the WD bars. However, since I already have a hitch that works well, a new hitch wouldn't be on my short list of things to buy just because of a little noise that you don't hear 98% of the time.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

I have an Equalizer 10k and it can make quite a bit of noise at times as well. I'm with bsmith - I wouldn't buy a new hitch if it was adequately sized and it controlled the sway. The EQ has pads that sit under the bars and reduces the noise quite a bit. Not knowing how your hitch works, have you checked with the manufacturer to see if they have anything similar?

That said, my EQ hitch is too small for my new TT and I'm considering the SwayPro as well. I like the design and also the zerk fittings for the grease. Also, the bars can be upgraded to heavier or lighter and not require a full replacement like I'm facing right now
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I have an Eaz-Lift that I used for transporting, but have never used the sway control (can't install it on the trailers for transporting). My friend has the Blue OX for his Passport. Personal opinion, I love the Blue Ox and if I needed a hitch for my personal trailer that is what I would buy. They are very easy to use and work great, much better design for connecting the WD bars. However, since I already have a hitch that works well, a new hitch wouldn't be on my short list of things to buy just because of a little noise that you don't hear 98% of the time.
You are likely right regarding the noise, yet I can tell you this, I jumped several times while pulling this trailer the first time with all the popping and groaning of the sway control device. Maybe I can get use to the noise, but I do believe I still need to do a little fine tuning of this hitch as I did have a little sway remaining even after I put the sway control bar on. On the trip home I started out not using the sway control bar and after about 15 miles decided to stop and add it, this made a difference, but of course then the noise.

So I'm going double check the hitch height and the adjustments on the spring bars. I see they are 800 lbs and maybe after checking the weights at the scale I might possibly need 1,000 lbs, if I keep the EazLift.

Thank you for sharing your information.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Old 02-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I have an Equalizer 10k and it can make quite a bit of noise at times as well. I'm with bsmith - I wouldn't buy a new hitch if it was adequately sized and it controlled the sway. The EQ has pads that sit under the bars and reduces the noise quite a bit. Not knowing how your hitch works, have you checked with the manufacturer to see if they have anything similar?

That said, my EQ hitch is too small for my new TT and I'm considering the SwayPro as well. I like the design and also the zerk fittings for the grease. Also, the bars can be upgraded to heavier or lighter and not require a full replacement like I'm facing right now
Appreciate the input, you are correct in that I'm not sure I have the right size spring bars and maybe now that I have this trailer home I can fine tune it more. What has caught my attention with the Blue Ox, although not completely sold yet, is the ease of hook-up, no greasy bars and the sway control is reportedly built into the hitch without the additional sway control device. Then the added bonus of being able to switch out the spring bars if you have a lighter or heaver load. ( Not that I would likely keep several pairs of these just laying around )

A friend of mine went from the EazLift to the EQ Hitch and said this made a huge difference for his towing, he really likes his EQ Hitch

Thank you for the input.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
GaryWT

I have an Equil I zer E2 which I love. Works great and is so easy to hook up. It does make noise but as long as it works, I do not care what it sounds like. So it turns a few heads... Good luck with whatever you use.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
SamI

I have the blue ox sway pro. It work very well and have no complaints. I pull a outback terrain 299bh and it controls it very well. I would recommend it to anyone interested. Just make sure you get the right bars or it won't work properly. Too big of bars and you won't get the spring to CO trol the sway.
SamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
hankaye

Sherwolfe, Howdy;

What you have is one of the best WD hitches out there. I used one for
the TT I used to own. Hated the noise but a few drops of dish detergent
on the "L" brackets will take all the screech out of them. go through a
puddle and all nice and clean, and a lot cheaper then the Lube that is
sold for them.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Mike484

I'm not familiar with the hitch your talking about but I'm assuming that it must be a cam type sway control. That is what I use, but it is by Reese, and yes, there is some popping and squeezing going on back there but generally it is only when I make sharp turns and at that time I'm not traveling fast anyway so even though sometimes it sounds scary, I'm not really concerned about it.

The way the sway controls were explained to me is that the friction type will stop the sway once it begins, the cam style will prevent it from ever stating in the first place. When I bought this, many years ago, the cam type was considered the best. I have never had any issues with it and I actually like it very much.

I am interested in hearing other people's opinions on what they use and if you feel as though the friction type is indeed as good as the cam or if the cam style really is better.

Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking the thread, but the question about the popping and squeezing made me wonder.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I have an Equil I zer E2 which I love. Works great and is so easy to hook up. It does make noise but as long as it works, I do not care what it sounds like. So it turns a few heads... Good luck with whatever you use.
Thanks GaryWT for the info, never hurts to turn heads....
Old 02-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamI View Post
I have the blue ox sway pro. It work very well and have no complaints. I pull a outback terrain 299bh and it controls it very well. I would recommend it to anyone interested. Just make sure you get the right bars or it won't work properly. Too big of bars and you won't get the spring to CO trol the sway.
Thank you, if I go with the Blue Ox, looks like right now I have about 900 lbs being applied to the tongue so I figure the 1,000 lbs bars would work fine.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Sherwolfe, Howdy;

What you have is one of the best WD hitches out there. I used one for
the TT I used to own. Hated the noise but a few drops of dish detergent
on the "L" brackets will take all the screech out of them. go through a
puddle and all nice and clean, and a lot cheaper then the Lube that is
sold for them.

hankaye
Well I have heard these are one of the best, just dealing with the noise. However I have not heard about the dish detergent, something to try for the next haul.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I'm not familiar with the hitch your talking about but I'm assuming that it must be a cam type sway control. That is what I use, but it is by Reese, and yes, there is some popping and squeezing going on back there but generally it is only when I make sharp turns and at that time I'm not traveling fast anyway so even though sometimes it sounds scary, I'm not really concerned about it.

The way the sway controls were explained to me is that the friction type will stop the sway once it begins, the cam style will prevent it from ever stating in the first place. When I bought this, many years ago, the cam type was considered the best. I have never had any issues with it and I actually like it very much.

I am interested in hearing other people's opinions on what they use and if you feel as though the friction type is indeed as good as the cam or if the cam style really is better.

Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking the thread, but the question about the popping and squeezing made me wonder.
Mike484, I don't believe your are hijacking the thread, the more info we can share to help everyone then the better. Let's see who else chimes in for further considerations regarding this issue. Been some terrific input so far.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Keep in mind that the bars you use is not determined by how much tongue weight you have (kind of). If you have 1,000 lbs of tongue weight doesn't mean you need 1,000 lb bars. The rating on the bars is how much weight they have the ability to transfer. For example, if you have 1,500 lbs of tongue weight with 1,000 lb bars, in theory you can transfer 1,000 lbs of weight off of the hitch. Here's a link that starts to explain it a little. A google search will give you more reading/understanding on it.

http://blog.hensleymfg.com/Safe-Towi...itch-Selection

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #15
CoreyC

I have the blue ox sway pro and have no complaints about it. It's very easy to hook up, very well built, no noise, you can back up without unhitching, and no sway. I used it on a 1/2 ton Sierra and on my current truck. They have a good tech support team that could help you select the correct bars for your application. It's easy to do the install and set up if you have the proper tools. The torque on the head bolts around 250 ft lbs, plus the ball( not supplied) in my case was around 450 ft lbs. Amazon.com had the best price that I could find.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #16
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Keep in mind that the bars you use is not determined by how much tongue weight you have (kind of). If you have 1,000 lbs of tongue weight doesn't mean you need 1,000 lb bars. The rating on the bars is how much weight they have the ability to transfer. For example, if you have 1,500 lbs of tongue weight with 1,000 lb bars, in theory you can transfer 1,000 lbs of weight off of the hitch. Here's a link that starts to explain it a little. A google search will give you more reading/understanding on it.

Hold the phone....that contradicts what the EQ rep told me and puts me in a tough spot. My new TT will have a tongue weight of about 1100 lbs and a max trailer weight of 8,800. My EQ is rated for 1k & 10k. Based on that post by Hensley, I should be fine with my hitch because I'm guessing I'll transfer 300 lbs or so. That's a wild guess, by the way.

I thought the first number indicated how much weight the hitch itself could support. Here's the email from EQ support:

Quote:
That 1,000lb tongue weight rating is before hooking up. If you're careful you may be able to keep that under 1,000lbs. Our recommendation would be to upgrade to a 12k or even 14k model though so you're not having to worry about it.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
Sherwolfe

Quote:

Appreciate the link for info, will check it out.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #18
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyC View Post
I have the blue ox sway pro and have no complaints about it. It's very easy to hook up, very well built, no noise, you can back up without unhitching, and no sway. I used it on a 1/2 ton Sierra and on my current truck. They have a good tech support team that could help you select the correct bars for your application. It's easy to do the install and set up if you have the proper tools. The torque on the head bolts around 250 ft lbs, plus the ball( not supplied) in my case was around 450 ft lbs. Amazon.com had the best price that I could find.
CoreyC,

Thanks, seems like possibly the Blue Ox may just be where I will end up. The information shared on this topic has been helpful and I am glad I asked the questions.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #19
Mike484

Is there a problem with useing bars that are an overkill for the weight? i.e.: bars that are rated for a lot more weight than what your trailer actually is

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Is there a problem with useing bars that are an overkill for the weight? i.e.: bars that are rated for a lot more weight than what your trailer actually is
Here is a direct cut and paste from the link that bsmith0404 posted about 5 posts back. There is a load of good information and links to other information you may find valuable.

"Weight Distribution: bigger is not better

An important point to remember is this: your weight distribution hitch also acts as a shock absorber for your trailer tongue. If you decide to buy 1400# spring bars "just to be sure," you may find yourself in for a rough ride. About 80 percent of the trailers on the road are using 1000# spring bars. Smaller trailers (under 24') typically use 800# or even 500# spring bars.

Also remember that the weight distribution hitch puts a tremendous amount of torque into your tow vehicle receiver. The heavier the bar, the more stress on the receiver."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote