Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
lab530

Pulling a Laredo with ????

Jambonjoebob....Just curious what you pull your Laredo with. We have a 2006 F-150 5.4l 3.55 8200lbs. Looking to get feedback on pulling this model with our truck. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
jambonjoebob

I'm pulling it with a Ram 1500 5.7. I had so many problems with fishtailing pulling the trailer until we bought a Hensley Arrow hitch. Now, no problem.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
depshrink

I'm pulling my Laredo 293rk with a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L rated at 9500lbs.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
jq1031

My opinion is don't pull a 8300lb (plus) GW trailer with a half ton truck, as you're inviting trouble. Just don't do it, unless you're destination is the local camp ground.

My Laredo, towed by a three quarter ton with WD hitch & sway control just went through Chicago on I-90, 18 wheeler's on both sides, mid afternoon traffic, alot of wind and we had no problem (thank God).

Your cargo, (wife & kids) are to precious to take that chance....DON'T DO IT !!!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
NSTS1470

Wouldn't do it. I have a 2010 keystone Laredo 29bhs with a dry weight of 6200lbs. I'm towing with a 2000 ford f150 5.4 with a tow rating of 7800. What a nightmare. talk about white knuckles and sweats. Lot of sag, sway and bounce. I have weight dist and sway but still not so good. I've started breaking things on the truck and already had to replace brakes. I'm currently in the process of looking for a new truck. Hopefully a 3/4 diesel, mabye a gmc or chevy 2500.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Paul Norwood

I also tow a 2010 29bhs with a 2002 gmc sierra 1500 model and am currently in the process of looking to upgrade because the truck is just to light to pull this type of camper very far. If you are only going to local campgrounds this may work for you, but if you plan on traveling down the interstate you should reconsider or step up to a 3/4 ton truck. The dealers will tell you that a 1/2 ton truck will pull this type of trailer but it is hard on the truck.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
gmandi

I have to respectfully disagree win the assertion the you can't pull the your rig with a 1/2 ton truck. I pull my trailer with both a 1500 Silverado 3.08 5.3l and a denali XL 6.2l and don't have a problem with either. I tow a cougar 26 bhswe
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
stimleck

you guys are brutal

do you really think that a 500 pound heavier 3/4 ton truck will sway less than a 5800# half ton? the parks are full of new 1/2 tons pulling 30 foot trailers, get off the boards and in to a park
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
DTJ9610

I have a 2011 303TG and pull with a Toyot Tundra 5.7L V8. W/ tow package i'm rated for 10,300 and have the reese dual cam sway/WD installed.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
bdaniel

Don't mean to stir the pot but I agree that a 1/2 ton truck is not really designed to tow on a regular basis. Taking the boat to the lake or towing a trailer to help your buddy move is fine, but I would not do much RV towing with a 1/2 ton truck. I have traveled many miles and I have seen more than one accident with a new travel trailer with 30 day tags hooked to a flat bed tow truck with something like a jeep grand Cherokee on the flat bed. Usually one of the vehicles rolls or the combination jack knifes.

It is not a pretty sight. Not saying it can't be done, but the odds are against you. Also never believe what a RV salesman or auto salesman tells you. Ask them to put their words in writing on company letter head and see if they will.

10 years ago I towed an ultra light for a few months with a 1/2 truck. It was not fun. I moved up to a 3/4 ton diesel and it was like night and day. Towing is actually fun.

Bobby
Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
jq1031

Well there ya go Lab530! You've got everyone's opinion as to towing with a half ton truck, some say sure why not & others say don't do it. I guess the rest is up to you! Keep us posted as to how you make out & what you're opinion is AFTER you've towed 500 or so miles!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
SpiderCO

Pull my Laredo 302LT with a Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, Mega-cab, 6.7L, Turbo Diesel.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

If everyone owned a Freightliner, this topic would be nonexistant. Some say the half ton truck is not designed to tow. Others say it will tow anything with wheels on it (and drag the rest). Somewhere in the middle of all this is the functionality of the half ton truck. Every manufacturer lists on each truck it's towing capability. While going to the extreme and trying to tow 9750 lbs with a truck with an engineered max tow rating of 9800 lbs may not be the "wisest thing to do", as long as the remaining limitations of the truck are not exceeded, then according to the engineers, that truck can tow the listed weights. Is it safe? Answer must be "YES" do "YOU" agree? That's your opinion and you have every right not to tow with that model truck, if you don't agree, and feel strongly that you'd rather not tow with a half ton truck, then buy a bigger truck. Maybe start saving for your own personal Freightliner.

As for me, I'd recommend doing your own research and take the manufacturer's recommendations for listed GVW, GCWR, GAWR and find an RV that meets those limits.

When we "overkill" on tow vehicles we waste resources. Not everyone needs a one ton dually to tow a Scamp trailer. Sure, you'd never know it's back there, and it climbs every mountain pass in overdrive, but on the other hand, so would my F150. For the "part timer" who tows locally a couple of weekends a month during the summer, with one longer trip of maybe 600 too 1000 miles and whose truck/trailer combination is within the engineered limits, then the "lesser performance" of being in 3rd gear on that mountain pass at 45 MPH while that F350 with the Scamp sails by is an acceptable compromise. The trade off (payback) comes during the rest of the year with 18MPG use of that tow vehicle as opposed to the 10MPG of driving that dually to work every day.

I'm not opposed to anyone towing with their choice, but to say "no half ton truck can tow a fifth wheel" or to say "If you tow with a half ton, you'll be unsafe" is just not true.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
bdaniel

Everything you say is true. But you also have to admit that for every person that meets your description that is one more that comes to forums like these that does not want to hear the truth. They bought too much camper for their truck and only want to hear "sure that truck will tow that camper". If they get any other response, they get defensive.

Or they hear things like, add some air bags, add a chip, add a transmission cooler, etc. I think we can agree that means the truck is not sufficient or safe to tow.

Most people are going to do what they want to do. Most people are going to never have an accident. The cops certainly don't care if you tow overweight and I wonder if any states require additional driver training for towing. I doubt it.

But, I've been doing this for a very long time and I have never heard a single person say they regretted going from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton tow vehicle. The comments are always along the line of "a night and day difference".

The last post was calm and made good points. I hope the readers of this post will think it the same. Those who research their vehicle, know its limits and stay within them will mostly be fine. Its people who come here for quick confirmations of their truck without doing their own research or take the RV salesman's advice that are going to have safety issues.

The main thing is to be safe, keep your tow vehicle and camper well maintained and go camping every chance you can. Remember, even a bad day camping is always better than the best day working. <grin>.

Bobby
Old 04-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #15
Outbackmel

Always listen to Mfgr's

Yep, call Toyota and ask them about sticking accelerators...or ask the people who have exprienced stuck accelerators and family members are dead, gone.

A major auto mfgr had a tire problem many years ago. At the time, no problem with the rubber. Must be driving habits...oh yeah, right. Sold mine in a week.

While opinions of the forum are that, "opinions" and based on "street" knowledge, use it or don't. Your choice.

Personally, I watch this site and double check many items that come into question. Especially since I am pretty sure that even reputable builders of RV products, of which I believe Keystone is one, buy products from other mfgr's that may count in time of emerency; like axles; tires; electrical components; heaters; a/c's and a few other odds and ends. There is SOME responsibility here in towing 7,000 to 20,000 pounds down a road filled with other drivers and families in smaller vehicles that TRUST we know what the heck we are doing.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
bgilsrud

I pull a cougar 31 sqb with the 2010 ford f 150max tow package. No problems what so ever, drive truck for a living and feel comfortable with the setup
Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Many people do tow with an F150 or a GM 1500 series. Most of them do just fine as long as they pay attention to their tow and weight limits and live within those limitations. I remember about 5 years ago there was a big BIG ruckus on RV Net forums concerning people who tow a 5th wheel longer than 30 ft with a 3/4 ton truck. The "agenda" of needing at least a F450 to tow that big a trailer seemed to put down anyone who was "stupid enough" to risk their life and those who were on the road with them if they were foolish enough to even attempt to tow over a 30' fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton truck. The purists called it insane and put down anyone who entered a forum debate indicating they towed with a truck smaller than an F450. My how times have changed !!! I see 32' and 38' fivers being towed with F250's and single wheel F350's all the time. In fact, some of the members of this forum tow similar rigs according to their signatures. In fact, some of these members indicate their concern with anyone who might suggest that they would consider towing a fifth wheel with a half ton truck. I think there are more factors to consider than the "species of truck" one uses to tow.

In 1972 I bought a Dodge Camper Special 3/4 ton PU. The GVW was 7500 lbs, it had a 360 2bbl carb, and 8.25x16 load range E tires (10 ply) and we loaded an 11' Harvest cabover camper on it. Now that was a load !!!!! After 3 or 4 trips up the Tehachapi Pass in Southern California, being blown from lane to lane (so were every other flat sided vehicle, BTW), we traded the camper for an Airstream and all was fine.

My point in telling this is to highlight that the 3/4 ton truck we had back then had nearly the same capabilities of today's half ton. Truck capabilities have changed significantly over the years and F350's that were "condemmed" by the fiver towers of years gone by are now the accepted norm. Half ton trucks have the capability to be extremely good tow vehicles, but the "mind set" of some RVer's is such that they just don't believe it.

While some here swear at half ton trucks, some others swear by them. As long as the engineering limitations of the truck are not exceeded by the trailer being towed, then the rig is one capable of bringing its owners and users the same joy as any heavier truck/trailer combination.

The mindset of "it has to be a 3/4 ton or bigger to tow a fifth wheel" is outdated by today's tow vehicles. My F150 has 200 lbs more GVW than the biggest Dodge 3/4 ton of 1972 and it has 600 lbs more GCWR than that truck. We all need to consider the design limits when we look at capabilities. Calling a vehicle "less than capable" because of a name or designation is not understanding the vehicle. Today's half ton trucks are more capable than yesterday's 3/4 ton trucks and they tow much better than yesterday's vehicles.

To anyone who considers towing, I'd strongly suggest evaluating the tow vehicle's design limits, compare those limits to the RV being considered. Pair the two and objectively look at the weight of the RV and the limits of the Tow Vehicle. If they are compatable, then don't focus on whether there's an F150, F250 or F350, 1500, 2500 or 3500 "name" on the fender. Truck specifications and towing recommendations no longer follow the "old pattern" of 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton. Those days are gone.

Today's half ton trucks are stronger than many of yesterday's 3/4 ton and some of the older 1 ton vehicles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
stimleck

Cool 1/2 ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many people do tow with an F150 or a GM 1500 series. Most of them do just fine as long as they pay attention to their tow and weight limits and live within those limitations. I remember about 5 years ago there was a big BIG ruckus on RV Net forums concerning people who tow a 5th wheel longer than 30 ft with a 3/4 ton truck. The "agenda" of needing at least a F450 to tow that big a trailer seemed to put down anyone who was "stupid enough" to risk their life and those who were on the road with them if they were foolish enough to even attempt to tow over a 30' fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton truck. The purists called it insane and put down anyone who entered a forum debate indicating they towed with a truck smaller than an F450. My how times have changed !!! I see 32' and 38' fivers being towed with F250's and single wheel F350's all the time. In fact, some of the members of this forum tow similar rigs according to their signatures. In fact, some of these members indicate their concern with anyone who might suggest that they would consider towing a fifth wheel with a half ton truck. I think there are more factors to consider than the "species of truck" one uses to tow.

In 1972 I bought a Dodge Camper Special 3/4 ton PU. The GVW was 7500 lbs, it had a 360 2bbl carb, and 8.25x16 load range E tires (10 ply) and we loaded an 11' Harvest cabover camper on it. Now that was a load !!!!! After 3 or 4 trips up the Tehachapi Pass in Southern California, being blown from lane to lane (so were every other flat sided vehicle, BTW), we traded the camper for an Airstream and all was fine.

My point in telling this is to highlight that the 3/4 ton truck we had back then had nearly the same capabilities of today's half ton. Truck capabilities have changed significantly over the years and F350's that were "condemmed" by the fiver towers of years gone by are now the accepted norm. Half ton trucks have the capability to be extremely good tow vehicles, but the "mind set" of some RVer's is such that they just don't believe it.

While some here swear at half ton trucks, some others swear by them. As long as the engineering limitations of the truck are not exceeded by the trailer being towed, then the rig is one capable of bringing its owners and users the same joy as any heavier truck/trailer combination.

The mindset of "it has to be a 3/4 ton or bigger to tow a fifth wheel" is outdated by today's tow vehicles. My F150 has 200 lbs more GVW than the biggest Dodge 3/4 ton of 1972 and it has 600 lbs more GCWR than that truck. We all need to consider the design limits when we look at capabilities. Calling a vehicle "less than capable" because of a name or designation is not understanding the vehicle. Today's half ton trucks are more capable than yesterday's 3/4 ton trucks and they tow much better than yesterday's vehicles.

To anyone who considers towing, I'd strongly suggest evaluating the tow vehicle's design limits, compare those limits to the RV being considered. Pair the two and objectively look at the weight of the RV and the limits of the Tow Vehicle. If they are compatable, then don't focus on whether there's an F150, F250 or F350, 1500, 2500 or 3500 "name" on the fender. Truck specifications and towing recommendations no longer follow the "old pattern" of 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton. Those days are gone.

Today's half ton trucks are stronger than many of yesterday's 3/4 ton and some of the older 1 ton vehicles.
great post! I would go even further, you don't have to go back to the seventies to find 3/4 ton trucks with less ability than today's half tons.

i haul a 303tg with a 2010 ram 3.92 hemi, with a proper WD and sway, no problem at all
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimleck View Post
great post! I would go even further, you don't have to go back to the seventies to find 3/4 ton trucks with less ability than today's half tons.

i haul a 303tg with a 2010 ram 3.92 hemi, with a proper WD and sway, no problem at all

I agree. To use my "grandpappy's" logic: I'd never hook a Shetland pony to a 2 mule log. Nor would I hook 2 mules to a 6' Christmas tree. Both the Shetland pony and the mules would think I'm crazy. Better yet, I'd be wasting feed trying to manage livestock that way.

Same with trucks. Hooking a 26' , 6200 lb 5th wheel to a one ton dually rated at 24,800 lb GCWR is like using 2 mules to tow that Christmas tree. Why feed the beast when you can manage perfectly well with a Shetland?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Mobile Motel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmandi View Post
I have to respectfully disagree win the assertion the you can't pull the your rig with a 1/2 ton truck. I pull my trailer with both a 1500 Silverado 3.08 5.3l and a denali XL 6.2l and don't have a problem with either. I tow a cougar 26 bhswe
I also pull a Cougar 29BHS with a 1500 Silverado. I have a 5.3 engine and tow package. The anti sway and leveling equipment is a plus and an oil cooler on the engine is a MUST. But if you tow in OD off mode, use trailer brakes, and use that big ole CPU between your ears, you should do fine with this size vehicle.
Closed Thread