Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
mazboy123

G rated (S637) Sailun Tires Thread

It seems that there is another G rated (S637- 235/85-16) tire out there that some 5th wheel owners are starting to look at and buy.

They are about $1000 less expensive than the Goodyear G614.

I guess I'd like to start a thread specifically for those who have or will be buying Sailun G rated tires.

I figure we need to start somewhere to get some input on these tires.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
bsmith0404

There are several threads and posts on this tire already. Many members have posted pictures of them mounted as well and discussed prices. If you would like to consolidate the information in this thread maybe the moderators would be willing to do that for you or you could use the search and copy and paste a lot of the posts here.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Cyncwby

I've got a set of the S637's and love them, I've posted on here before about them and got called on it because they state on the sidewall to use a 6.5" wide wheel...... which in fact it does. I think most of the 5th wheel rigs have 6" wide aluminum wheels which of course have to be rated for 110 psi.

The problem was the width so I called several dealers and a few local truck tire installers. The general concenses was yes it should be run on a 6.5" wide truck wheel .... for a truck carrying a very heavy load but for a 5th wheel the 1/4" on each side should not pose a problem.

So far it hasn't, these tires are REAL tires, the POS GY Marathons I took off my rig weighed 36 lbs each, the Sailuns weigh 62 lbs. each. You want peace of mind when towing? Get the Sailuns, get on ebay, type in Sailun S637 and look for a vendor going by "Rustybore", I paid right at $800 shipped to the house.
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:54 AM   #4
notanlines

Tire King in Fort Myers, Florida. $707.00 including mounting and steel stems. I'm certainly not saying they're better then GY Marathons, but they are great tires. But if you believe you're saving $1000 you're shopping at the wrong dealer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Sailun is manufacturing two tires in that basic dimension and some even have had the same name and number on the sidewall. Sailun has not yet updated their web pages to identify the two different tire designs. One is the LT235/85R16G rated at 3750# @ 110 psi and the other is the ST235/85R16G rated at 4080# @ 110 psi. A visual inspection is recommended before purchasing either design.

Both designs are rated at 75 MPH.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 AM   #6
Barbell

Replaced the Marathons last spring at about 25000 miles. One GY was separating and another looked bad but had no trouble with them. The Sailuns came from Big O at about $800 for the set (didn't replace the spare yet). I run 110 psi and they seem to hold pressure well. Also, I think the trailer pulls a little easier at the higher pressure. Tires are on a 2014 Montana 3100RL.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #7
dcg9381

Got mine at SimpleTire.com...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
sptddog

Just ordered mine Friday from simpletire.com for 768 shipped (for 5). It is correct that there are two types suddenly - one is the LT, one is the ST. I couldn't find the LT anywhere, and one dealer said they couldn't get sailun at all until November. Online research indicated that the only difference between the two is that the ST is actually rated a bit higher with a 129L versus the 126L of the LT tire. The rep at Simpletire said the same.

I read on a few RV sites that there is a huge import tax on the LT tires, and so Sailun has changed to calling them ST to avoid the larger import tax. I'm not sure of that accuracy, but that's what I could find. I couldn't find much else, in fact true specs were hard to find, so I took my chances and they should be here next week.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Cyncwby

As I've said before, I bought my Sailuns from a dealer named "Rustybore" on ebay for $800 free shipping. So after reading all these price variances I did a little comparison shopping this morning. Rustybore still has them at $190 with free shipping.

Now the Goodyear 614 ...... Amazon $334 free ship ....Walmart $370 free ship ..... Trailer Tire & Wheel $350 unk shipping fee ..... Discount Tire $370 unk shipping fee ......Simple Tire $ 274 + $120 shipping.

There you go, as CW says there are now 2 load ranges, these prices are for the 3750 tire. If you have a really BIG 5th wheel like the old TETON or a tandem toy hauler you might look at the 4000 lb tire. Whichever brand tire you end up buying please get rid of the crappy dangerous tires that come on your rig. Probably the most important buys you'll ever make while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0527.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	9507  
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
dcg9381

I found that when I ordered from SimpleTire and sent them to a business address of an "installer" it cut the shipping costs in half...

Tires are one thing that I don't worry about now...
Old 11-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
keef95

I bought a set of seven last spring for my 384PK and have to say I love these tires. 6000 miles and I can see no sign of wear. Aside from an incredibly stiff carcass, the fact that they're a 14 ply and run higher pressure, they just plain roll easier too...
keef95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
bobbecky

I just found the recent Sailun product sheet online at http://www.sailuntires.ca/MRT/S637.html , and they show two different S637 tires, both ST and both with the same weight specs, but one is an 80 series and the other is an 85 series tire, and they are both specifically intended for trailer use.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
dcg9381

Interesting. I've never found anyone selling the 235/80R16 size, even though that's the factory size of many trailers. Someone post if you manage to find a vendor selling them in that size.

Be aware, if you move up to 235/85R16, you need to have adequate top-of-tire to deck clearance. The diameter change is only 1", but on trailers like the Carbon, the deck-to-tire clearance is lower than most. The result on our trailer is that they're closer to the deck than I'd like - I'm probably going to have to adjust height to be 100% sure we're OK.

I love these tires, they weigh almost twice what the factory tires do...
Old 11-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
jlarocca

I need new tires for my rig as I'm obviously putting more stress on the E series than I should. I feel like I have a black cloud over me when it comes to trailer tires. I'm interested in the Sailuns but I guess my main concern is what do to if I do have a problem with them. I have had two GY Marabombs blow out and as much of an inconvenience it was GY claims was easy to deal with and paid every cent of my repair. That's the main reason I'm thinking of paying $1000 more for the GY G Series Tires. Would be curious as to how one would go about filing a claim with the Sailuns. It does state in the Sailun warranty:

LEGAL RIGHTS
To the extent permitted by law, SAILUN and its servicing agents shall not be
held responsible for any of the following:
• Commercial Loss.
Damage to or loss of property other than the tire itself.
• Incidental, indirect, special or consequential damages arising from any
cause whatsoever, including negligence.
No implied or expressed warranties are extended beyond the time when the
tire has delivered its original tread life, except for the expressed warranties
set forth in this “Limited Warranty”. All warranties, promises and agreements,
whether expressed or implied, of merchantability or otherwise, are excluded
to the extent permitted by law. No representative or dealer has authority to
make any representation, promise, or agreement on behalf of Dynamic Tire
Corporation except as stated herein.
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
dcg9381

As I understand it, TBC imports Sailun.

TBC owns Tire Kingdom, NTB - National Tire and Battery, and Merchant's Tire and Auto Centers, depending on your geography.

In other words, I *think* you can buy Sailuns one of the TBC brands and have them warrantied out there, so you're not asking some company in China to stand behind their product.

That being said, I haven't read about any actual warranty experience on them.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #16
notanlines

Jlarocca, can you show us in the Goodyear warranty where it says they will pay for damages caused by a blown tire? I have never looked, but I'll bet that they covered your damage just to keep things "smooth" and not cause a hassle. By the way, what was the final ticket on your damages that Goodyear sent you a check for?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim, You are correct in stating that Goodyear doesn't "warranty consequential damage". The link: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_warranty_610.pdf

Here's their "Items not covered" list:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THIS
LIMITED WARRANTY?
• Wear conditions or tire damage due to:
Road hazards (including punctures, cuts, snags,
impact breaks, etc.). Wreck, collision or fire.
Fast wear, irregular wear, heel and toe wear or
other wear conditions.
• Improper inflation, overloading, high-speed
spinup, misapplication, misuse, negligence,
racing, chain damage, or improper mounting
or demounting.
• Mechanical condition of the vehicle.
• Chip/chunk conditions on tires intended for
highway service.
• Ride disturbance after the first 2/32" (inch)
treadwear or due to damaged wheels or any
vehicle condition.
• Any tire intentionally altered after leaving a
factory producing Goodyear tires to change its
appearance (example: white inlay on a black tire).
• Tires with weather cracking which were purchased
more than seven (7) years prior to presentation for
adjustment. If you have no proof of purchase date,
tires manufactured seven (7) or more years prior
to presentation are not covered.
• Material, such as tire fillers, sealants or balancing
substances, added to a tire after leaving a factory
producing Goodyear tires. If the added material is
the cause of the tire being removed from service,
the tire will not be adjusted.
• Any Goodyear Commercial tire with the word
“Mileage” on the sidewall.
• Tires removed from service due to improper repairs.
• Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle,
incidental or consequential damage.

This limited warranty is applicable only in the
United States and Canada.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #18
jlarocca

It was close to $7K. I had a marabomb blow about 10 minutes after I left Destin on the way back to Arkansas in August 2014. Had it replaced in Pensacola and the other 3 tires inspected for bubbles, warps, anything suspicious and they looked fine. 50 Miles later and after I went through a weigh station to check to make sure I was not overweight I blew another one on the other side. I stopped in Hattiesburg and replaced the whole set with the only ones I could get which were Hi-Runs. I just had to replace one of those with a huge bubble on the inside side wall (no scuff marks). I'm planning on going out west next year to Grand Canyon and Colorado and before I do I'm upgrading my tires. The local RV dealer told me that he's been doing a lot of wheel and tire upgrades because the E Rated tires are just not cutting it on these larger RV's and Horse Trailers which are very popular where I live. I did just look and found out my wheels are as some stated above rated for 110PSI and 3750lbs.

It just amazes me how much tire trouble I've had on this unit. The tires are not wearing funny at all so I don't believe my alignment is bad. Before this rig I had a 40' Royals International that weighed a whole lot more than this one but was a triple axle. I ran Firestone FR480's on that one that I had pulled off my dually. Had one tire issue where I had a zipper tear in the sidewall but no damage to the unit. Nothing like the major explosions I've had with this Montana. Keeping fingers crossed that upgrading load rating will be the last of my issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jlarocca, can you show us in the Goodyear warranty where it says they will pay for damages caused by a blown tire? I have never looked, but I'll bet that they covered your damage just to keep things "smooth" and not cause a hassle. By the way, what was the final ticket on your damages that Goodyear sent you a check for?
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jim, You are correct in stating that Goodyear doesn't "warranty consequential damage".
My bet, when they're replacing the tire due to "defect" that that their terms and conditions doesn't actually do much to release liability.

It's essentially like saying we're not responsible for a defective product. You can't just opt out like that, although it might be effective with many consumers at face value.

The real question with really any product from China is who will stand behind it.. In the Sailun case, my guess is that it's TBC - especially if they sell and mount the tires.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #20
NotyetMHCowner

I just paid $462 for 4 Sailun S637 LT235/85R16G tires out the door at NTB in Knoxville, Tn. $83.50 for the tire plus taxes, mounted, balanced, etc. I inquired about a 5th for my spare and he said he can get it in within 2 days because he is showing 80 in two different locations at his warehouses. Our camper is getting warranty work done so I cant get them mounted yet until we get it back home. I about flipped when he told me the price this morning on the phone. I though he had made an error. I still didn't believe it until we loaded them in the truck and I was pulling away!

If I am reading the date code correctly, looks like they are 17th week of 2014, so maybe they had them in stock since then and reduced the price to move them, I don't know. But he said he would honor this price for the spare if the price went up.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote