Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
gbsb

towing with a gas engine

I have a GMC with a 8.1 gas motor and allison transmittion. Will be pulling a Fuzion 383 toyhauler, any one have any experience with combination. I know the millage will be bad. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Jim W

I use to pull a 270FRKS, Ameri-Camp with a 6.0L, auto with tow/haul mode, 3:73 gears, 4X4, 2500HD Extend Cab short bed Chevy. The truck would pull this camper with no problem. The truck would start and stop the trailer in the required distance to be considered safe. I only towed the unit twice with this truck.

The only problem I had was finding gas stations that would fit the truck and camper into the gas island. I was filling up almost every 144 to 192 miles with my truck. The truck had a 26 gallon fuel tank and got only 6 to 8 miles to the gallon when pulling the camper.
The mass of the trailer will effect the fuel mileage, but not as much as the frontal area of the camper. That 12 to 13 foot tall sail will block the wind and this is what you are trying to move down the road.
Just my humble opinion.

Jim W
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Houndie Dog

George,
I was pulling my Cougar with a 2009 Chevy 2500HD 6.0. The truck would pull the trailer OK, but you could "feel" that it was just too much for the gas engine. I was worried about premature failure of my engine or transmission.
I bought a Ram 3500HD Dually with a 6.7 Turbo Diesel and it was like night and day. The Cummins pulled my trailer without even breathing hard.
Not everyone may have the resources for a bigger truck (as was the case for me in the beginning) but the gas truck will definatley be hard on the fuel bill.
Good luck with whatever you pull with......
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
pol1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
I have a GMC with a 8.1 gas motor and allison transmittion. Will be pulling a Fuzion 383 toyhauler, any one have any experience with combination. I know the millage will be bad. George
I have the same setup, I just bought a new 331mks 5er and the only towing I've done so far was from the dealership to home. The distance was some 60 miles from Akron to cleveland Ohio. The truck pulled just fine with no struggles. As soon as the weather breaks, I plan on pulling it around to get use to pulling something this big.
pol1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
RCrawler

Borrowed my father in law's pickup (Chevy 3/4 ton 454) and 27 ft 5th wheel to go to the Nascar race in Sonoma. The truck barely slowed on the Siskiyous and any other grade we hit. Averaged about 9.5-10 mpg both ways.

The 8.1 is a beast for a gas engine. But they can be hard on fuel.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the major factors in towing perception is "human conditioning" We have all been conditioned to "listen to an engine" as we drive and we perceive how that engine is working based on our perception of "normal" Most of us have driven "solo" for years and when we hook up a heavy trailer behind a gas engine and that engine responds by operating in its peak HP/Torque range, we "perceive" that it is running to fast (because we have conditioned ourselves to expect the engine to run at 2200 RPM). Most gas engine trucks are geared to deliver the best power range somewhere in the 3000 to 4000 RPM range (note: not best economy range)

Diesel engines deliver their best power around 2200 to 2800 RPM (barely cruise RPM on a gas engine) So listening to a diesel engine working "hard" we "perceive" that it is working less than a comparable gas engine.

What a lot of us do, is "perceive" that a gas engine is working "too hard" because it is operating at 3500 RPM. That's not the case, most gas engines work "best" at that RPM. It just doesn't "sound like it"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
cumminsdad08

we have the 8.1 engins in a couple of 4500 box vans, and had nothing but issues with it. they say that the walls of the motor are too thin and leak oil like crazy, causing premature lock up. now not starting an issue or anything. but i think it is a problem because the motor is draging at minium 14K at all times. it acutally took a long time to track down new motors for them, GM has stoped production on thiis motor.

we do have the motor in two pickups, one 2500 and one 3500 SRW and it performs flawlisly, both with well over a 100K on it. so if you are just a weekend warrior and don't move your trailer constantly, i wouldn't worry about it. if you are putting the constant load on it all the time, i would keep a steady eye on everything. I AM NOT STARTING A MOTOR BATTLE HERE. just what i have experianced with this particular motor.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One of the major factors in towing perception is "human conditioning" We have all been conditioned to "listen to an engine" as we drive and we perceive how that engine is working based on our perception of "normal" Most of us have driven "solo" for years and when we hook up a heavy trailer behind a gas engine and that engine responds by operating in its peak HP/Torque range, we "perceive" that it is running to fast (because we have conditioned ourselves to expect the engine to run at 2200 RPM). Most gas engine trucks are geared to deliver the best power range somewhere in the 3000 to 4000 RPM range (note: not best economy range)

Diesel engines deliver their best power around 2200 to 2800 RPM (barely cruise RPM on a gas engine) So listening to a diesel engine working "hard" we "perceive" that it is working less than a comparable gas engine.

What a lot of us do, is "perceive" that a gas engine is working "too hard" because it is operating at 3500 RPM. That's not the case, most gas engines work "best" at that RPM. It just doesn't "sound like it"
I think that's probably true regarding perceptions, but there is some underlying reality there as well. Most diesel truck engines are designed from the ground up to operate at high power levels (even WOT) for extended periods of time, and this is not true of most gasoline engines. At the high average power settings encountered during towing most diesels will outlast gasoline engines 4:1 before major overhaul. If you tow a little that's not much of a factor and if you tow a lot it is.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
RCrawler

If you know anything of the history of the Mk IV, Mk V and Vortec big block Chevy engines, they were designed with medium duty truck use in mind. They are designed to operate all day at or near full load.

Longevity is a key advantage to the diesel. But how many of us will actually keep a truck to overhaul time? Unless you are hotshotting with your pickup, you'll probably average 12-15K miles a year.
If every moment of that is with a heavy trailer behind you, a gas engine is going to last well over 10 years with proper maintenance. When you figure the initial cost difference, maintenance cost and the fuel mileage difference, it will probably take that long for you to just break even by owning the diesel.
And at that point, is it worth it to overhaul an engine when the rest of the truck is falling apart around it?

Does anyone on here have a diesel with over 200K miles on it that is your primary TV?

The 8.1 was taken out of production because it was in direct competition with the Duramax which was outselling it. That is to take absolutely NOTHING away from the 8.1 as a good engine. I feel that it is the best non diesel pickup engine out there.

If I was concerned with fuel mileage, I wouldn't own a diesel/gas engine or a bigger RV. I'd be driving a Prius and camping in a tent. And that's not going to happen.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
smiller

That's weird... I own a large RV and I care about fuel mileage... whoda thunk...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
gbsb

Thanks for all the replys. I had forgot I even ask the question. We left North East Texas last June on an extended trip. Pulled from Texas to Alaska and back to Texas spending 6 weeks on the Oregon coast, a little over 15,000 miles and 5 months it was great. My GMC is a crew cab dually, and the Fuzion is a 40' 5th wheel we carry a 2011 Harley TriGlide in the back. Other than the Alcan Hwy trying to shake the hauler apart we had no problems. We get 6 to 8 mpg towing depending on the hwy the down side is only 11 mpg not towing but that is what the trike is for. The 8.1 allison is a good combo, if I were buying a new truck it would be a diesel but I have had this truck for years and it has been virtually trouble free and as stated above it would take a long time to get the payback on getting a diesel truck, just can't justifie the difference. We drive about 60 mph on the road and on the steep upgrades we were slow gettting to the top but so were a lot of the 18 wheelers, beside that we are not in a hurry. We live in the Toyhauler full time and love the life style, I would recomend it to any one. Heade back out this June going to spend some time in the Smokeys this year then to Iowa to help my brother with a remodel project on his house, he has a large driveway to park on so free labor for a parking space works out for both of us. Should be a great summer. Life is good . George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00080-20110212-1502.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1035  
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

WHAT TOW WITH A GAS MOTOR? wHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO? oUTSIDE OF A BIG FUEL BILL THAT MOTOR/TRANS WILL HAULIT JUST FINE ENJOY THE CAMPING
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
WHAT TOW WITH A GAS MOTOR? wHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TOO? oUTSIDE OF A BIG FUEL BILL THAT MOTOR/TRANS WILL HAULIT JUST FINE ENJOY THE CAMPING
With the current price of gas AND diesl, you get a big fuel bill even if you tow with a PRIUS or FOCUS

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
mapleman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
Thanks for all the replys. I had forgot I even ask the question. We left North East Texas last June on an extended trip. Pulled from Texas to Alaska and back to Texas spending 6 weeks on the Oregon coast, a little over 15,000 miles and 5 months it was great. My GMC is a crew cab dually, and the Fuzion is a 40' 5th wheel we carry a 2011 Harley TriGlide in the back. Other than the Alcan Hwy trying to shake the hauler apart we had no problems. We get 6 to 8 mpg towing depending on the hwy the down side is only 11 mpg not towing but that is what the trike is for. The 8.1 allison is a good combo, if I were buying a new truck it would be a diesel but I have had this truck for years and it has been virtually trouble free and as stated above it would take a long time to get the payback on getting a diesel truck, just can't justifie the difference. We drive about 60 mph on the road and on the steep upgrades we were slow gettting to the top but so were a lot of the 18 wheelers, beside that we are not in a hurry. We live in the Toyhauler full time and love the life style, I would recomend it to any one. Heade back out this June going to spend some time in the Smokeys this year then to Iowa to help my brother with a remodel project on his house, he has a large driveway to park on so free labor for a parking space works out for both of us. Should be a great summer. Life is good . George
Omg...that is a monster of a rig! I'm surprised you don't need a semi tractor to haul it...makes my 26' tt look like a toy!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
SAABDOCTOR

Hi JRTH here in CT we get it good! our fuel tax is $.70 p/g yikes. Where the shop is that i work is in a bedroom town for new york city we will be at $5 bucks for regular in a month or two. Our fuel sales have gone from around 5000 galons a day to 1500 no one is driving uless they have to!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Hi JRTH here in CT we get it good! our fuel tax is $.70 p/g yikes. Where the shop is that i work is in a bedroom town for new york city we will be at $5 bucks for regular in a month or two. Our fuel sales have gone from around 5000 galons a day to 1500 no one is driving uless they have to!
Here in northern Michigan, we're at 3.999 for regular and 4.179 for diesel. Projected additional .50 to .75 rise by mid June. If that happens, I wonder how many of us will be making changes to summer travel plans?

Without getting into political issues, I wonder if (or how) this will ever end? Makes one "like" the possibliity of alternative fuel vehicles, but as soon as one type becomes popular, I wonder how much rise we'd see in that type of fuel???? Can't win for anything it seems <sigh> LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
SAABDOCTOR

Our diesel is $4.35! I know we will put our 5er on a site in upstate new york and leave it there and go back and forth with the econo box
Old 03-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With the current price of gas AND diesl, you get a big fuel bill even if you tow with a PRIUS or FOCUS
But not for long...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
charltons

Diesel in washington is 4.49, filled up Sunday...........
Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
But not for long...
SOOOO TRUE !!! Well maybe you can put one on each foot and skate with your RV tied to your belt ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS