Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
SkiSmuggs

Converter/Charger Upgrade

After replacing my single 12V battery with dual 6V batteries and much reading, I decided to replace my WFCO 8955 converter with a PowerMax Boondocker PM4B-55 circuit board from bestconverter.com. This is a direct replacement for the WFCO.
I disconnected the 120 volt, turned off the 120 circuit breakers and removed the positive (but negative first!) cable from the battery bank. After looking at the WFCO, I decided that the best bet was to remove the 2 screws holding it in, pull it out and then swap the wires either singly or in pairs. Before swapping wires, I tried to insert the PM4B and it seemed to be blocked. Turns out one of the blades that needs to slide into a slot at the rear was bent so I straightened with pliers and it slid right in. The wires on the PM were on opposite sides from the WFCO and a ground wire was on the AC side instead of the DC side. I started with the heavy AC pair as they were the easiest to get to, but difficult to run behind the DC fuse panel. Needle nose pliers, a flat blade screw driver and a few four-lettered words were all it took to get them in place and screwed down. I then did the DC pair and the common ground, routing them the same way they came out.
With my heart pounding, I plugged in the AC, connected the battery cables and flipped the circuit breakers on. The screech of a detector coming on just about sent me through the roof, but the microwave clock was on, a 120 light worked and the 12v stuff all worked.
I checked the volt meter and it read about 14.7 for 10 minutes, dropped to 13.6 for a few hours and then down to 13.2 float mode. Mission accomplished!
I would suggest a before photo before removing wires so you can be sure where they were connected, but doing one at a time works as well.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
randy69

I replaced my converter with a powermax boon docker it didn't fit into the same spot. So I remouted it. Now easy to get to. Great converter 3 years warrenty. And made in usa.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
After replacing my single 12V battery with dual 6V batteries and much reading, I decided to replace my WFCO 8955 converter with a PowerMax Boondocker PM4B-55 circuit board from bestconverter.com.
Tell me why? I thought our OEM converter was up to the task? What is our OEM converter not doing that you wanted it to do? I also went to the dual 6-volt Trojan batteries and I thought I researched this issue. I want to make sure I'm not missing something.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
I replaced my converter with a powermax boon docker it didn't fit into the same spot. So I remouted it. Now easy to get to. Great converter 3 years warrenty. And made in usa.
Bestconverter.com has the circuit board direct replacement that does fit. http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondoc...955_c_196.html
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
Tell me why? I thought our OEM converter was up to the task? What is our OEM converter not doing that you wanted it to do? I also went to the dual 6-volt Trojan batteries and I thought I researched this issue. I want to make sure I'm not missing something.
This one holds boost mode (14.6v) longer and has an equalizing mode of 14.8v. The WFCO has a reputation of being difficult to get into boost mode (14.4v)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Yosemitebob

Quote:
I disconnected the 120 volt, turned off the 120 circuit breakers and removed the positive cable from the battery bank.
With my heart pounding, I plugged in the AC, connected the positive battery cable and flipped the circuit breakers on. .
SkiSmuggs

May I suggest next time you remove the negative battery cable first. This reduces the chance of you contacting metal with the wrench as well. Removing the positive cable first can cause a spark (an ignition source) from constant draws of electric and if (I do say if) you had a leaking battery, it could ignite gases that would cause an explosion. I know, I'm looking worse case scenario. But...it has happened, I've seen it happen twice in my lifetime so far. Once to someone else, once to my own vehicle.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

To echo Yosemitebob,

I've been involved in a number of surgical repairs of burns from wedding rings, etc that were a result of working on a vehicle battery. It doesn't happen often, but if you're the unlucky soul that happens to get a wrench on a positive battery terminal and the other end happens to touch a grounded spot on the vehicle with your ring in the middle, it will probably result in a trip to the ER and possibly to surgery. A ring can surely be the cause of a finger amputation if it burns through most of the tissue.

Removing the negative terminal first will prevent most of this kind of accident (unless you happen to get "caught" between the positive and negative terminals...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
SkiSmuggs

Thanks, guys! That was my first instinct, but followed the directions that came with the PM instead. You are absolutely right and I updated my original post to reflect that in case someone uses it to replace one.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Bill & Deb

On a side note, when you remove the negative terminal, cover it with electrical tape. Had a situation where an adjustable wrench fell out of a co-workers hand. He tried to grab it as it was falling and it did a spin and landed across the terminal where it glowed red and smoked till the center melted and became two parts. In this case the negative terminal was removed.
This problem would not be as common with side terminals but there are a lot of batteries that have both still out there especially deep cycle batteries.
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Deb View Post
On a side note, when you remove the negative terminal, cover it with electrical tape. Had a situation where an adjustable wrench fell out of a co-workers hand. He tried to grab it as it was falling and it did a spin and landed across the terminal where it glowed red and smoked till the center melted and became two parts. In this case the negative terminal was removed.
This problem would not be as common with side terminals but there are a lot of batteries that have both still out there especially deep cycle batteries.
Yeah, I dropped the wrench while installing the new Trojans and had quite the light show for a second until it bounced off. Good suggestion.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
billandjan

Back in the mechanic days in the USAF, safety protocol was to never wear jewelry when working on stuff.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandjan View Post
Back in the mechanic days in the USAF, safety protocol was to never wear jewelry when working on stuff.
And for good reason. My step-daughter while in the Navy almost lost a finger when she caught her class ring while jumping off a ladder after working on a plane.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Jager

Back to Poppy's question . . . I too am planning on replacing my converter because i think it is junk. It takes forever and a day to charge the batteries. It runs and runs without putting much charge in may batteries. I want a much better (faster) unit with greater charging capacity.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Back to Poppy's question . . . I too am planning on replacing my converter because i think it is junk. It takes forever and a day to charge the batteries. It runs and runs without putting much charge in may batteries. I want a much better (faster) unit with greater charging capacity.
When you look for replacements remember that the total amperage rating is all the converter can produce. As an example, if you currently have a 60 Amp converter and are having issues with charging batteries, it may not be the converter, it may be the total demand on the 12 volt system. If you're using 50 Amps to operate the trailer, there's only 10 Amps left over to charge the batteries. To get more "battery charging capability" if your trailer demand remains the same, you'd need a larger converter to get more "amps to the battery"....

In the above example, if you wanted to get 30 Amps to the batteries, you'd either have to reduce the DC demand somewhere by turning things off or you'd have to install an 80 Amp converter/charger.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I think that I am going to put in a separate charger/trickle charger for the battery with a diode isolator . This way my converter or power supply as they are known in electronics can focus on supplying 12 VDC to the trailer. You do not have to use a RV converter.

This is an example of one on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinetik-KIPS...6df55e&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IOTA-DLS-90-...item337afdb255

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
Jager

Thanks John but I experience this all the time. We dry camp at state parks in the Adirondacks and there are strict generator hours during the day time. Usually there is no one in the camper and nothing on other than the frig. I can run the generator for 3 - 4 hours and the batteries still don't get charged up. I haven't dug into what I have for a converter now but I will before changing it out.

If we keep this unit (considering selling it all and moving to class A diesel pusher) then I will be doing a number of modifications to it next year. Change to 4 - 6v batteries, new converter/charger, add an inverter, LED light conversion and probably a solar panel to help charge.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
SkiSmuggs

This Power Max Boondocker does a good job of getting my dual 6-volts topped off in 3 hours on the road from the umbilical cord and more quickly when plugged into 120v.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #18
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
This Power Max Boondocker does a good job of getting my dual 6-volts topped off in 3 hours on the road from the umbilical cord and more quickly when plugged into 120v.
Did you happen to take any pictures of this upgrade in progress? I've had the cover off and I think I've even pulled the front panel out but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Do you have to re-wire the whole thing when you swap these out?

Also, do you mind telling me where you ordered and how much?
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #19
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
Did you happen to take any pictures of this upgrade in progress? I've had the cover off and I think I've even pulled the front panel out but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Do you have to re-wire the whole thing when you swap these out?

Also, do you mind telling me where you ordered and how much?
Wiring a converter not very hard at all. Getting access to it in some RV is a pain.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Wiring a converter not very hard at all. Getting access to it in some RV is a pain.
Understood, that's why I asked because SkiSmuggs and I have the same unit.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS